Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Typographical errors in Kindle books!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 16, 2012 9:32:51 PM PDT
Mary C says:
Two books that I have read on Kindle have so many errors that it takes away from the story. Am I the only one that has a problem with this? Are all the books like this? If so, I may have to go back to reading hard copies!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 9:38:00 PM PDT
Sue says:
Well Mary the publishers just wait until you buy a book to put these in. Contact Amazon and let them know. Or you could contact the publisher or author and let them know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 9:38:36 PM PDT
Peter Schaap says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 2:46:29 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It's not a problem with the device ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 3:38:45 AM PDT
Kribu says:
Which books were they?

The two main categories where it's more likely to come across more mistakes and typos than usual are (1) older traditionally published books which the publisher has now scanned and released as an ebook without proper proofreading (typical OCR errors are usually easy to tell - a specific letter or letter combination is almost always recognised as something else, e.g. "ln" comes out as "h" and similar problems), and (2) self-published books where the author hasn't bothered to have the book edited and/or proofread (usual errors: typos, wrong words, misspellings, wrong punctuation).

There shouldn't be any issues with traditionally published books issued more recently, where the publisher has had a proper electronic file to work with for ebook conversion (same edited and proofread files used as the basis for printing the book), and it's also not an issue with all self-published books (some are proofread and pretty decently written).

If in doubt, I suggest using the "look inside" or sample feature before buying a book, but Amazon also allows returns for a full refund for seven days - and, I think, if the problems are really bad, you can probably contact customer service for a refund even after the seven days. There is also a "Would you like to report poor quality or formatting in this book?" item in the Feedback section towards the bottom of every book page on Amazon, where you can send in a complaint; sometimes publishers (or authors in case of self-published books) do take heed and correct the mistakes, in which case Amazon sends out an e-mail to people who've bought the book, asking them if they'd like to replace their copy with a corrected version.

The overwhelming majority of ebooks I've read - almost all of them relatively new releases by traditional publishers - haven't had any particular problems with typos; certainly no more than recent print books, which are very rarely 100% typo-free.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 4:12:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2012 4:13:24 AM PDT
Why do you think the paper versions of the same book are not going to have the same errors? I don't think they introduce extra errors for the electronic version. (with the exception of middle aged books that were scanned from paper copies.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 4:37:47 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Am I the only one that has a problem with this?"

The Kindle book I'm currently reading is full of typos too.. Deepsix (Priscilla "Hutch" Hutchins)
And if one of the reviews for that book from two years ago is correct - nearly half of the last chapter of the book is missing..

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 11:28:52 AM PDT
Mary C says:
I've wondered about that. I don't know the process for transferring the hard book version to the Kindle. I've noticed lots of typos in books I've read lately, but nothing like these first two books I read on my new Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 11:38:50 AM PDT
PF says:
Conversion errors are a known source of introducing problems into the file, and some publishers are going after Amazon to make the public more aware of them. Per Amazon's terms of service to publishers, they acknowledge that conversion errors may occur during Amazon's final conversion to apply the DRM, but the publisher's only remedy is to remove the book from sale.

Here's one editor's blog showing the frustration of trying to track down whether errors are the result of conversion gone bad or a publisher not adequately doing their job:

http://americaneditor.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/in-the-face-ebook-errors/

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 11:40:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2012 11:41:37 AM PDT
QF Jane says:
I read lots of out-of-copy write kindle books and have found multiple errors in them. As a previous poster mentioned, it is the scanning process. Frustrating, but I can live with it as I recognize the errors and can mentally adjust them. What bothers me is when the book is being read by a child or teen who may not know what the sentence/word is supposed to say.

ETA: by "lots" of books, I mean that I have well over 150 antique OCR reprints on Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 11:40:49 AM PDT
Mary C says:
Thanks for your input -- the two books are: "The Good Lawyer" by Thomas Benigno and "Trial Junkies" by Robert Gregory Browne. They were both good reads and it seems most of the "typos" appeared after about half way through. I guess I'll just get used to it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 11:42:23 AM PDT
Download from Gutenberg for out of copyright books. Their stuff is usually retyped rather than scanned and has usually be looked over by several volunteers. And its free!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 11:45:50 AM PDT
Ok, those are both self published. The author just didn't take enough care to ensure they were well copy edited. Be sure to write reviews pointing out the fact so others know about the problem and so the author has an option to fix it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 11:46:52 AM PDT
Zanzibar says:
I agree. I've found the Gutenberg ebooks to be more error free. I stopped downloading the public domain ebooks from Amazon and just stick with Gutenberg now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 11:47:10 AM PDT
Mary C says:
Thanks! Will do what you suggest.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 12:17:54 PM PDT
Down towards the bottom of the product page is a light blue "Feedback" box. One of the options is to report poor quality or formatting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 12:27:05 PM PDT
I wouldn't say you need to "get used to it". I've read more than 500 books on my Kindle and I would say there are only a couple of them that have had more than just a few typos. I remember one book in particular where it was obviously a problem with the scanning and OCR conversion. There was something (don't remember what) wrong with the word "jeans" everywhere it was used in the book and it wasn't a case of someone misspelling the word. It did get irritating after awhile.

More current books will not have scanning/OCR issues since they are written and stored in electronic form in the first place. You are more likely to find misused words like your vs. you're or their, there, they're. Those bug me and are clearly a writing/editing issue.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 4:06:31 PM PDT
Kevin Monroe says:
When the K1 first came out, alot of books had alot of typos. Now - not so much. I'm reading one right now that has a couple of mentions of filing "Chapter 11" bankruptcy. The "Chapter 11" is a link to, you guessed it, Chapter 11 of the book. Amusing, but not too distracting.

The publishers have gotten much, much, better.

Also, in the past I've received new versions of a couple of ebooks from Amazon with the explaination that the previous versions had errors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 8:24:39 PM PDT
Mary C says:
The last couple of books I've read have had a few errors, but not to the point of distraction. Actually I was in the publishing department of a large corporation and proofreading was one of my jobs; that's why it is so disturbing to me. I would have been fired! I've had a lot of good feedback so hope things will get better. Thanks for your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 8:09:06 AM PDT
Tom says:
The Good Lawyer is in its second printing for about 45 days now, and after 3 people went through the book again, hopefully all typos have been corrected.
So glad you enjoyed the novel anyway.
T. B.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 11:09:07 AM PDT
Sarida says:
There are absolutely errors in regular books. My niece and I had a contest to see who could find the most typos in college textbooks. They ARE there!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 4:42:19 PM PDT
Mary C says:
I've read several regular books with errors, but usually only a few. Amazing that college textbooks have them too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 4:45:43 PM PDT
Mary C says:
Good to know! Are there other novels I should try now?

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 4:52:46 PM PDT
Mark Waddell says:
I'm re-reading a book I know very well, from it's print version, on my Kindle, and I'm finding a lot of small errors: typos, random capitalizations, misplaced commas, etc. These do NOT appear in the original, which was published only a few years ago. So what gives? How are these errors creeping into the Kindle editions?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 5:09:59 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
OCR w/o proofreading
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
82 6 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 6744 3 minutes ago
FB&C -- Free Books and Chat -- Saturday July 12, 2014 58 3 minutes ago
Kindle 3G 0 8 minutes ago
Missing Carousel 1 10 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 1620 10 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 3365 14 minutes ago
Kindle while plugged in 1 14 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1188 21 minutes ago
Repeated re-downloading 5 23 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions