Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Turn off Cloud in new Kindle Fire HD (2013)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2013 8:03:35 AM PST
F. Jones says:
I just received the new Kindle Fire HD and am setting it up for my daughter for Christmas. After just realizing I can't put music and videos of my own in the FreeTime App, I'm trying to decide if I should just restrict the standard device for her. I'd like her to be able to read her own books without having access or see mine in the Cloud. Is there a way to turn off the Cloud? (like you can restrict clicking on other things, like GoodReads)?

I've been searching posts and have seen some people say "just go to Parental Controls and turn off the Cloud", but those posts are several months old and I don't see that option, so I'm not sure it's available anymore.

Thanks in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 10:42:02 AM PST
❤ Ann says:
No, there's no way to block access to the Cloud tabs outside of FreeTime on a Fire (the e-ink Kindle readers do have that option).

You can add music and video player apps to FreeTime, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 10:49:53 AM PST
+11 for realizing that older posts may not be relevant anymore. (*golf clap*)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 11:03:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2013 11:04:39 AM PST
F. Jones says:
Hi Ann - thanks for your reply. I tried probably almost 10 Media Players (video, song, both) from the App Store and none of them would read the files in the folders when I was in FreeTime. I'm not sure if this is a new development/restriction for the new Kindle Fires, as I noted in older threads that it used to work for people.

I was able to see everything just fine when in the regular setup, but as soon as I went to FreeTime and opened the app, they all said "0 files". Pretty frustrating.

I ended up creating a second Amazon acct that I will use just for the kids books and apps, and registered the Kindle to that. I think I have the device on pretty good lockdown, but just no time restrictions. Shouldn't be a problem in my house as she only uses devices when I'm around but still, I wish I would have been able to take advantage of FreeTime since that is why I purchased the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 11:03:33 AM PST
F. Jones says:
Ha thanks Fallina, I didn't used to work in IT for nothing. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 12:02:44 PM PST
❤ Ann says:
Are your songs and videos downloaded to the device? The last time I tried it I used this app - Rocket Music Player, and it did find downloaded music. It did not find music that was only in the Cloud. You may be right that things have changed, so I'll give it a try on the HDX when I get home.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 12:16:09 PM PST
F. Jones says:
Yes, nothing on the Cloud, all in the "Movies" and "Music" folders on the actual device. I transferred the files from my hard drive to the Kindle using the Android File Transfer program required for Macs . I tried the Rocket Music Player, aVia Media Player, HD Video Player, MoboPlayer, VidOn.me Player HD, Music Player - Free Player, Songbird® Music Player, MovieGallery...those are the ones I remember. All showed up fine on the Kindle until I went to FreeTime. Then nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2013 5:52:31 PM PST
I've had the same problem today - frustrating and I'm not sure if there's any solution.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2013 5:55:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2013 6:02:06 PM PST
F. Jones says:
I ended up returning the Kindle because I was pretty disappointed in this apparently new limitation with the latest OS, but I figured more people would stumble into the issue after receiving them as gifts. :-/ Hopefully the app developers will be able to figure out a work around. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2013 7:39:02 PM PST
I did find the answer - music must also be downloaded in FreeTime in order to access the music there. Download the music through an app like Isyncr and play it through something like Rocket music.

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 1:41:01 PM PDT
Carole says:
i want to turn off the cloud and can not find it in parental controls
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
89 6 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 1754 4 minutes ago
disable all other options while playing solitaire 0 5 minutes ago
Half of screen goes black 11 9 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 4427 9 minutes ago
Lending library 8 14 minutes ago
How do I change back to English language? 52 19 minutes ago
Is there a way to 'rate' the ebooks I have read? 1 19 minutes ago
keeping pictures 0 21 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions