Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How to I get book categories into my Kindle fire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2011 1:21:00 PM PST
My old kindle I was able to put books into categories. I got a Kindle Fire today and can't get there from here. Any help?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 1:23:28 PM PST
The Fire does not have the Collections feature.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 1:28:32 PM PST
Then how in the world do I find a particular book without scrolling through hundreds of books and giving myself a headache?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 1:30:56 PM PST
Miss Carol says:
If you sort by titles or authors, can you enter the first letter like you can on older kindles and jump to that letter?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 1:31:06 PM PST
~nospin says:
Just a suggestion-
Look for it in your K4PC app which does have collections and then do a search on the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 1:44:12 PM PST
will try that--you wouldn't think it would be that hard to put in such a simple feature

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 1:50:22 PM PST
Not working in K4PC either--unless it is operator error (Possible..)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 1:50:43 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 10, 2011 1:51:08 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 3:07:55 PM PST
C. S. Jones says:
Kindle for PC was the first app to get collections. Are you on the current version of K4PC?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 4:59:44 PM PST
Don't know exactly--went from a regular kindle to a Kindle Fire today & wanted to put my books back into collections. was getting frustrated because "I can't get there from here"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 5:12:07 PM PST
~nospin says:
It is frustrating that it can't be done on the Fire.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 5:21:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2011 5:34:16 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
From Home, tap Books, tap Cloud, tap the magnifying glass at the bottom and type a keyword. I'm away from Wi-Fi at the moment, but did this and entered 'shackleton' and it found South and Leading at the Edge in its stored memory of my Cloud.

I think the Fire is like having a second baby. All the things you thought you learned with the first don't work on this one. He's colicky, startles easily, and poops A LOT more. Doesn't make him wrong, just different. Gotta learn new skills for the new Kindle.

Not to cross-thread, or anything, but Leading at the Edge: Leadership Lessons from the Extraordinary Saga of Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition is currently $13.79, a buck and a half cheaper than the hardcover, but I got it for 99 cents in June.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 5:27:05 PM PST
~nospin says:
Carbonbased-
Are you saying the books are tagged and if we search correctly we come up with the books?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 5:38:00 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
Dunno, just know it worked. I knew there were books about Shackleton's disaster in my Cloud...I think there might be a couple more that don't have 'shackleton' in the subtitle that it didn't find.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 5:40:22 PM PST
~nospin says:
I tried mystery and got a bunch. Duh.
When I tried cozy mystery I did not get anything.

wonder how it is set up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 5:59:57 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
It seems kind of hit n miss, but if you have wi-fi on and know the title, it should come right up. I tried a couple more and it drills down as you input letters. By the time I got to the F in unfortunate, it found the whole Series Of. Liturg brought up the whole bunch by shwiezer (sp). Markhat brought up 4 out of 5 Markhat books, Tuttle brought up 10 titles, one of which is not by Frank, but another Tuttle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 6:01:59 PM PST
~nospin says:
So as long as your brain is semi-functional you can find your book.
well.... that leaves me out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 6:08:40 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 10, 2011 6:09:33 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 3:53:07 PM PST
Angie says:
Hey - someone from Amazon - when is there going to be an update so we can categorize our books? Thanks!

Posted on May 16, 2012 6:34:41 PM PDT
C. Turner says:
Hi Amazon
Please put the collection ap in the fire so we can categorize our books. I really miss that feature and wish I had my old kindle back. Wish I had not given it away or I would be returning this. What a waste of $200

Posted on May 16, 2012 6:50:00 PM PDT
H N says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 6:57:04 PM PDT
Angie says:
I would love to use it. I have a lot of non-fiction, kids books and cookbooks on my Fire. If I have to look through all the books just to find a book for my kids to look at, it's annoying and very time consuming. I still can't believe it's not available on the fire.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 6:57:42 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 5:49:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 5:52:08 AM PDT
Those of us who have used our (old) kindles to read books have a lot of books. It is not practical to scroll through a couple hundred books because one cannot put them into categories. I would've kept my old kindle as well if I had known ahead of time the new ones couldn't categorize. If I had known the Fire couldn't do it--would've been a deal breaker. The old kindle was a book reader. The Fire is an internet surfing tool that also has books. Rip off

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 5:53:30 AM PDT
What she said.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 3 days ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Kindle Voyage - First Impressions 230 51 seconds ago
Al's Place 35mm 4042 57 seconds ago
paperwhite 6 2 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD6 connection to internet 13 2 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 4916 3 minutes ago
Voyage Cover 171 4 minutes ago
how do i log out? 178 7 minutes ago
how to log out of kindle app on nexus 12 9 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Dec 10, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions