100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Few questions about Paperwhite

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2013 9:38:09 PM PST
C.A. Allsup says:
Hello, I'm considering buying the paperwhite kindle for my husband's birthday. We both have the 3G "keyboard" kindles - but my husband has hinted he isn't fond of the keyboard so I am thinking of upgrading his to a paperwhite. I just have a few questions about the paperwhite series.

Can you turn the backlight COMPLETELY off (not just change the setting to to dim light)?

In all honesty, is the touch function "iffy" at all? Do you find yourself ever going "Hey! That's not what I pressed!"

Any other "cons" at all? Thanks in advance for your responses and help!

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 9:57:39 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
No. There is no off for the light, the best you can do is turn it all the way down.

Nope. I also came from a Kindle Keyboard and was hesitant about the touch screen but it is a improved touch system and I have not had any problems with it at all.

I have not had any issues with the Paperwhite. It can do everything that the Keyboard can do execpt audio. There are no speakers at all so no audio books or text to speech. If that is a issue for you then it is a great ereader.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 10:35:28 PM PST
bookcrazy says:

I have had all generations of the kindle reader. I liked the touch and had no problems with it. I have the paperwhite and I like the light.

Be aware that there is an issue with splotchy screens. Some posters have paperwhites with no splotchy screens and others (like me) see different color variations and degrees of splotches. The paperwhite will also have "shadows" along the bottom of the screen from the lights. Pretty much all paperwhites have those shadows because of the way the lights are.

I tried 11 different paperwhites thinking that at least one would not have a splotchy screen but all did. I finally kept the last two .....mostly because I had already sold my kindle keyboard and my kindle touch.

I look forward to the second generation of paperwhites because I think this will be when the problem will be addressed and fixed.

In dealing with this issue, some customer service reps acknowledge there is a splotchy screen problem and others say there is no problem. Those that agree there is a problem blame it on body oils, the readers eyesight, refracting, and the list goes on.

Having said all that, I like the paperwhite despite the splotchy screen because of the front light.

Just beware that you might be among the unfortunate ones that might end up with a splotchy screen. Of course, it can be returned and/or exchanged. You might be among the lucky ones that gets a "perfect" one the first time around.

If you think this would cause you to stress out, wait until the second generation paperwhite comes out. I have no official information regarding the second generation release date, changes, improvements, or fixes, but it stands to reason that amazon would address and fix this problem in the second generation paperwhite.

I have used touch screens on other devices for several years and this touch screen is of equal quality and as easy to use as those devices.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 11:01:18 PM PST
C.A. Allsup says:
Thank you for your detailed responses. We might just hold out for generation 2, since our kindles work perfectly fine (I was seeking to spoil him a little). Bit of a shame you can't turn off the light completely, I certainly hope they will give the user the option to turn it off, since that is perhaps one of the biggest reasons to own an actual e-reader rather than use a tablet (just my opinion - my eyes grew tired of having light fired at them all day long with computer, television, and phone screens).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 11:15:50 PM PST
@MissClara: The light on the Paperwhite is very different from the light on tablets like the Fire or iPad. The light on the PW is not from a backlight but from a sidelight - I can read it for extended sessions (unlike reading on my tablets). There is much less glare. When the light is turned down to its lowest level, it is very close to being like my Kindle Keyboard - I then need an external light to read them both.

It is true that some people have reported problems with their screens - blotchy or various colours like polarized light. Mine has no such problems. I love it, and I would not go back to my older e-ink Kindles now.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 11:53:59 PM PST
The shadows along the bottom will not be solved by future models as long as they use multiple lights rather than a single light. Multiple lights which overlap cause some light waves to cancel others out...creating shadows. That is a law of physics which nothing can change. The solution is to not use multiple lights, and use only one big light. That will prove costly, and so probably won't be done. Expect shadows for a long time to come.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 12:36:02 AM PST
John D says:
The light can be turned very dim. Most of us, even those who don't like backlights, have no issue with the low light. As others have pointed out, it's not a backlit screen anyway.

The touch technology is very good.

In the end, I find it my favorite way to read, bar none.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 5:04:22 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Moving the LEDs a half inch farther from the edge of the bezel would fix the shadows (but would obviously make the PW larger, heavier, and more expensive). So it's not impossible.

My PW's light, when turned to minimum, is so dim that in a normally lit room it looks exactly like my Basic (no light at all). At that setting, in a completely dark room, I can see the screen just well enough to operate the device, which tells me this is proper design. It's an internally-lit touch-screen device; you have to be able to see the screen to find the control to turn up the light.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 5:41:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2013 5:50:49 AM PST
Although many users have complained about not being able to turn the light completely off, to me it's been a non-issue. On the lowest setting, it's not even noticable. The front-lit led technology is totally different from a back-lit lcd tablet or smart phone and doesn't create any eyestrain whatsoever for me. I can read for hours on end without problem, whereas on a tablet my limit is about a half hour max.

I love the lighted screen. It's easily adjusted for your ambient lighting condition and when properly adjusted, it isn't even noticable that it's lighted. I do a lot of reading indoors during the daytime with fairly low ambient light. The PW is perfect for this.

The touchscreen is very responsive and I find that it's more ergonomic and faster for me than the page-turn buttons on the Kindle Basic and Keyboard models I'd previously used. I've had occasional problems with accidental, multiple page turns (skipping five or more pages at once) but it may be user error which will go away after I've used it more. In any event, it's been a minor issue far outweighed by the enjoyment I've had using it.

I highly recommend the Paperwhite but if you buy one and don't like it, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 5:44:15 AM PST
**Meya** says:
My experience is the same as James and R. D. When the light is all the way down on my Paperwhite, it looks just like my Basic model Kindle. In a normally lit room, I cannot tell the light is on. The Paperwhite became my favorite Kindle within 2 days of my receiving it. It goes with me just about everywhere I go. The ability to read it anywhere, regardless of ambient light, is wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 5:53:11 AM PST
Pretty much DITTO this.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 6:14:42 PM PST
I agree with Meya, although it only took me about five minutes to abandon all former Kindles, and my phone, for reading ;)

From the pictures I've seen, some PWs do have noticeable blotchiness; on mine it's very faint and I stopped noticing it at all after a few days.

The light is perfect for me; I had trouble reading the unlit e-ink screens in most lighting conditions. A few people are bothered by the light, even when it's turned way down but that reaction seems to be uncommon (although I do agreee that turning it off should be an option).

I don't think any touch screen is *absolutely* consistent in its response but I think the PW is very close; it's far, far better than the technology used in the previous Touch model.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 6:08:48 AM PST
SJ says:
I have a Paperwhite since October 2012. The battery lasts 2-4 weeks with the light set on 18 and the Paperwhite used from 10-30 minutes a day. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone really get two months on a charge?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 6:11:20 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
The two months is based on the light set at 10, wireless turned off and 30 minutes per day of reading. That is a best case scenario.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 7:16:47 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
My opinion: Amazon is being very optimistic in their battery-life rating on the PaperWhite, more so than with the other e-ink Kindles. Nevertheless, the battery life is more than adequate; as long as I can read a big ol' Ken Follett novel without worrying about recharging the battery -- and then it only takes a couple of hours to recharge it from the wall charger -- I'm happy.

I do wonder about one thing. As we know, it's the page refresh that uses battery power on an e-ink screen. Some people leave the refresh setting at the default (every six screens, I think?); others, like me, refresh every page turn. Plus, the Paperwhite has 786432 pixels on the screen, versus 480000 on the older models. And a light. Combine all this and I have a hard time understanding how a PW could get anywhere near the battery life of, say, a K3.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 7:18:52 AM PST
So far in January, what with our schedules being jam-packed, that's about what I've been averaging, and I just charged the PW for the first time since Christmas. So that's about right.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 9:00:04 AM PST
TravelingGal says:
I get about 3-5 days per charge. I leave the wifi on most of the time, use the lowest "off" setting for the light and download books pretty frequently. I also read 2-5 hours each day. It's not terrific but it's better than any tablet type device and as long as I can make it through a long international travel day, I'm OK with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 9:05:49 AM PST
That's actually what I would consider terrific, considering you're reading 2-5 hours a day and leaving the wifi on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 9:09:07 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
3-5 days is awesome if you are leaving the wifi on and reading 2-5 hours a day.

The Paperwhite gets 30 hours between charges if you leave the WiFi off, light on 10 and read 30 minutes a day.

Downloading books will use up more power as they have to be indexed.

You are doing great with the way you are using it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
4 1 day ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 21 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 21 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 4547 21 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - October 2015 440 26 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 5982 48 minutes ago
Kindle Fire Carousel 0 52 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 1080 58 minutes ago
Side Loaded Nook App - but My Library won't Sync 3 1 hour ago
Why is it so hard to search for Kindle Owners Lending Library Books? 67 1 hour ago
Account closed. What do I do with all of my books? 15 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions