Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Netflix Stuttering

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2011 7:23:34 PM PST
T. Bui says:
When I stream movies through Netflix on the Fire, they freeze for about 0.5s (also skip the 0.5s worth of frames) every 5 seconds or so. Does anyone else experience this? Netflix on my laptop and IPad streams fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 8:02:23 PM PST
Somebody says:
Netflix is working for me, so far. I had one hiccup last night, but it was just a quick blip. I thought maybe there was a dip in my wifi for a second.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 8:04:17 PM PST
SueEllen says:
I'm having the same issue. The audio and video are out of synch. I tried synchronizing several times, but it didn't change anything.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 12:07:54 PM PST
Agreed. I have tried Netflix on two networks; home and business, and in both cases, the video feed stutters every few seconds with a great deal of consistency. Very annoying.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 12:09:15 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 28, 2015 7:51:53 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 12:09:30 PM PST
Somebody says:
I've had that trouble with sync when watching feeds to my TV. It's always been a problem at Netflix's end. I notify them and they have their gurus fix it.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 1:48:44 PM PST
Pecos Bill says:
I see the Kindle Fire stutter too. Netflix always plays great on my PC and plays great 99% of the time on my TiVo but I noticed the stutter immediately on the Fire (while watching Red Cliff).

Amazon Prime videos are perfectly smooth, though, so I assume the problem is somewhere on Netflix's side. I'll have to look into it more later.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 1:58:21 PM PST
Joe Cool says:
Last night I noticed very bad syncing of audio to video. This morning it was working fine. I'm guessing either a netflix issue, or a bandwidth issue.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 8:15:56 PM PST
Julian says:
I get the same issue, steady stuttering, even with strong wifi. But July plays butter smooth, even when wick dips to 2 bars. And amazon streaming also has no issues, so I agree that its probably an optimization issue that netflix needs to address

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 11:36:57 AM PST
Lynn M says:
Not necessarily, it could be an issue that Amazon needs to update, in order to work properly with Netflix.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 6:46:49 PM PST
Has anyone from Amazon acknowledged the problem? One of the big reasons I purchased the Fire is for Netflix.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 6:56:27 PM PST
SueEllen says:
I contacted Amazon. The customer service worker was very polite, as always. Here is the email that I got from Amazon on Dec 24th.

"I'm very sorry for the trouble installing Netflix on your Kindle Fire.

We've already reported this to our technical team and the concerned department is contacted, they're working on taking care of it.

We really appreciate you taking the time to contact us and let us know about this issue. Errors like this are usually corrected shortly after they're reported.

Although it certainly can't make up for the inconvenience this situation has caused for you, I'd like to make some further amends for the problem you encountered with our Appstore service by giving you a $3 promotional certificate.

This can be used the next time you order any video in our Instant Video store, app, Kindle book. You'll receive $3 off of your next qualifying orders automatically--you'll see it in your Order Details after your order completes.

I'm personally following up with this and write back to you once I receive an update from our technical team."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 7:00:11 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
The Netflix app is a little buggy. It will work great on some devices and have problems on others. I know it has come a long way since it was first released.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 8:34:55 AM PST
In case this helps others, I had a serious problem with Netflix and Amazon video skipping and stuttering to the point it was unwatchable. I eventually discovered that an app I downloaded for growing fish call "Fish Adventure" from the app store was causing the problem. I suspect because the app runs in the background as your fish age and grow? Whatever is the issue, when I deleted the app, everything went back to normal with no video issues any more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 8:37:19 AM PST
Have you tried putting the movies on fullscreen? Netflix movies freeze like that on my laptop unless I have them on fullscreen, but for some reason, TV episodes don't have a problem.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 12:18:35 PM PST
M. Mills says:
I ran into this discussion when doing a search for "android netflix stutter". I don't have a Kindle Fire, but I have a similar issue with my HTC Evo phone. The thing is, Netflix _used_ to work just fine - no stuttering or audio/video sync issues. It is only with the software updates starting a few months ago that I've had problems. Since the Fire came out in November (if I recall correctly), it probably 'inherited' these problems.

I suspect that the root problem is either with the Android Netflix app itself, or some sort of optimization issue on the server side...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 12:25:57 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
The app runs great on my cheap LV Optimus V and also on my Toshiba Thrive tablet. Not sure what is causing the problem when my underpowered phone runs it.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 8:12:33 PM PST
D. White says:
I had a similar issue and after reading the comment about the game running causing a problem I double checked and found that Skifta (DLNA streaming app) was still running in the background. As soon as I killed that app the stuttering stopped. I've noticed before that streaming video pushes the Fire a bit so every little bit free resources is probably necessary.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 9:18:06 PM PST
Also make sure that "flash" is set to "on demand".

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 9:27:04 PM PST
nancy hayes says:
Can someone please tell me step by step what i need to do to get my netflix working on my kindle fire. thanks again in adavance.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 9:43:52 PM PST
J.L.B. says:
This video might help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUJdZlPOif4&feature=fvwrel

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 9:49:13 PM PST
Mary says:
I subscribe to netflix and I am using the netlfix app on my kindle and it is flawless for me, no stuttering freezing or anything and I love it. I am on high speed internet with time warner that never gives me trouble on my computers so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I didn't touch any settings or anything just downloaded the app and it worked fine from day one. Mary

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:53:10 PM PDT
Çleared the cache from amazon video app that was running on my kindle in the background; fixed the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 12:46:40 AM PDT
Stixie54 says:
Same problem here.....so angry!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 2:11:19 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Download a task manager and use it just before watching videos. You probably have things running in the background using up the resources needed for the video playback.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Ultraviolet Playback and Download Ending for Fire Devices 04/16/2016 26 1 minute ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4036 6 minutes ago
overdrive for kindle paperwhite 111 9 minutes ago
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 159 18 minutes ago
How to use VUDU cloud movies on kindle fire HD 7 in 268 19 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1557 28 minutes ago
Family Share - Shared books not showing after download in library 14 30 minutes ago
Kindle life span 49 1 hour ago
OASIS: Please Amazon! 154 1 hour ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 2406 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions