Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How do the chapter indicators in the status bar work?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 11:27:38 AM PST
John Salerno says:
I look at the bottom status bar every now and then and I've yet to figure out how it works. It could just be that each Kindle book is formatted differently, or improperly, but what I often see is large gaps in between the two "dots" that indicate sections of a book, and yet within this large gap there are still chapters that don't seem to be indicated in the status bar.

Also, sometimes I notice that after I've read a section of the book, the black bar will have a lot of little dots all bunched together, as if there were 10 or more small sections each a page or two long, yet this isn't how it really was.

So what's going on here? Does the Kindle try to guess at how the book is divided, and put marks as it finds the sections, or does it only go by what the publishers have formatted, and I'm just reading some improperly formatted books?

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 11:58:31 AM PST
It only goes by what the publishers have formatted, but it will also show any bookmarks you've added.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:23:11 PM PST
It all depends on how the publisher formatted the book.

The little dots all bunched together indicate your progress in the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:33:22 PM PST
John Salerno says:
I thought the black bar indicated progress? By "little dots," I'm referring specifically to the little markers that (I think) indicate chapter breaks.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:09:18 PM PST
The thing is that a book can have more than one level of "chapters." Eg., it could have high-level sections, and within each section multiple chapters. If that is the case, you would only see the marks for the highest level (is., the sections) on the progress bar, but you could still use the swipe/click left and right to navigate at the chapter level.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:10:25 PM PST
Anastasia - where did you get that idea? If you can navigate to it, there's a mark.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:12:48 PM PST
Experience. Do you have a counter-example?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:17:30 PM PST
Yep. Every book I've ever read that had any kind of chapter or section markings. Do you have an example of a book with your alleged multiple-level sections?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:25:16 PM PST
Sookie Stackhouse 8-copy Boxed Set (SSTB)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions