Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

WHY cant I use a kindle app for Amazon Prime free reading benefit?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2014 6:10:04 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 1, 2014 5:51:08 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:12:12 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
First, Prime is a shipping program.
Secondly, It is the Kindle *Owner's* Lending Library. Amazon gets to make any rules they want about it.

If you signed up for Prime just for borrowing books, then you should cancel. It's not worth it just for the books.

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 6:12:30 AM PST
Grimwinder says:
Because it's a perk intended to reward and encourage ownership of a Kindle. No more, no less.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:13:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2014 6:14:15 AM PST
Well, it is only one low cost book per calendar month that can be borrowed if you have Prime and a Kindle. It is a very small perk of the Prime program, which is a shipping program, most of all.

You can take advantage of Kindle First, which you can read about here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201376210&qid=1393510390&sr=1-1

There are many free books offered every single day, regardless of Prime. Use a site like freereadfeed.com or ereaderiq.com to search for books you would like.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:14:28 AM PST
#FirstWorldProblems

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 6:19:37 AM PST
T. Cook says:
"why I cannot enjoy the benefit of reading a book free on any of the myriad Kindle apps. WHY must I BUY a KINDLE??"

Kindle Owner's Lending Library. Does what it says on the tin...

Surprises me how many people "want to read free ebooks" but fail to attempt to read the name of the program they want to borrow the free ebook from.... (No, actually it doesn't surprise me)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:33:14 AM PST
KessaJo says:
Wow! Really? You are going to all upset about not being able to borrow 1 eBook a month that is for Prime members that also have a Kindle?

What are would you do if/when Amazon cancels the KOLL? Which they can do at any time they choose.

What you can't find any free reading material that you keep? Every single day there are free eBooks - sometimes free for 1 day sometimes longer, but once you buy it, it is yours to keep.

There are even websites that let you easily find the daily free eBooks. You can even find them by doing a search on Amazon.

You can also borrow eBooks from libraries.

But you are going to get all upset over not being able to borrow 1 eBook that is part of the KOLL (since not all eBooks are free to borrow with the KOLL).

You are just too funny.

There are always limits/limitations on such things, Amazon made having & using a Kindle be apart of the KOLL.

You may have Prime, but you do not meet the other qualifications.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:38:22 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
and here's an interesting free book right here:

A French Dictionary of Food and Drink

and it will be a permanent part of my library and I won't have to return it in order to get another one (win-win)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:40:34 AM PST
KessaJo says:
Cool! Thanks - I think I will be getting it, too. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:43:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2014 6:43:27 AM PST
King Al says:
It is NOT ridiculous. Amazon is encouraging Kindle app readers to buy a Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:44:37 AM PST
KessaJo says:
I always thought that that was obvious, but after a few of these complaints, I've come to realize that some people don't want to see the obvious.

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 6:49:06 AM PST
But everything is supposed to be free.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:50:26 AM PST
King Al says:
True, and these people also ignore the blurb about being able to borrow up to one book per month...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:52:23 AM PST
KessaJo says:
That's great news, now I can get a car & a house and I always wanted Westport Adult Folding Tricycle. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 6:53:38 AM PST
KessaJo says:
You are so right. Then they get mad about that. It always amazes me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 7:27:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2014 7:28:05 AM PST
Smiling Eyes says "the benefit of reading a book free (which I am supposed to get with Amazon Prime)"

No, you are NOT supposed to get it with Prime. You are only supposed to get it if you do BOTH things (own a Kindle and have Prime.) It states it very clearly in the description. => "The Kindle Owners' Lending Library is available to Amazon Prime members-paid Amazon Prime, paid Amazon Student, 30-day free trial, and customers receiving a free month of Prime benefits with a Kindle Fire device-who own a Kindle device. "

Oh the irony... someone who wants to read a book but can't read what is printed in the description of the service.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 8:00:02 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Do you really want to know "why" or do you just want to vent?

Amazon realizes no additional income from apps, yet they must pay each time someone borrows a book from the Kindle Owners Lending Library. Limiting borrowing to Kindle devices (1) limits the the amount they must pay to a known maximum based on the number of Kindles that have been sold, and (b) encourages people to buy Kindles.

You may not like it, but it's disingenuous to disguise whining by trying to appear to ask for reasons.

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 6:43:55 PM PST
Jay says:
Even before joining Prime, I had gotten 2600 free e-books from Amazon. They are mostly old classics on which the copyright had expired. Search for classic titles, or authors, and you can find plenty of them. Plato's Republic, Charles Dickens, etc, are available at no cost. Amazon Prime is a shipping program, and not worth it if you don't order enough things to make the savings in free shipping equal, or exceed, what you would have paid in shipping costs for your items if you were not a Prime member. I have purchased enough items so far, this year, to make my shipping charges savings more than my Prime Membership Fee.

The free movies, and book loans, through Prime are just an added extra benefit, and not-in themselves-worth the membership fee. There are limits, and restrictions on everything. One of the limits on the KOLL is that it only lets you borrow / read on a Kindle. Live with it. Why should Amazon give endless freebies to non-customers? Does Ford give you free tires for life when you own only a Chevy? Does Nikon give you a thousand free batteries whenever you buy a Canon camera? Grow a brain. Learn to use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 8:24:16 PM PST
As you are evidently unable to read, why would you wish to borrow a book?

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 8:28:29 PM PST
You guys left me with nothing to add

/pouts

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2015 7:28:04 PM PDT
Ellen says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2015 7:50:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2015 7:55:23 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Kindle First does not require that you own a Kindle. You can use the Kindle apps to read those books. Anyone can see those books by clicking on the Kindle Prime ad page which describes all the features including Kindle First. The books are given to Prime customers - not loaned. Usually you can choose 1 of 4 preselected books. For a couple of months, recently, we were allowed to choose 2 of those 4 books.

Kindle Owners Lending Library (KOLL) however DOES require an actual Kindle device be used to get the 1 (and only one) monthly read-for-free book. It is LOANED - not given to the customer.

DL

Edit: corrected typos

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2015 8:52:11 PM PDT
flipoid says:
And why does it matter that you got your free book from the Kindle First program today instead of on April 1? You can get the free Kindle First book (just one) *any time* in the month of April. On May 1, there will be a new set of 4 books to choose from.

This is different from the books you get to borrow (one per month) from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library if you are a paying Prime Member AND you own a Kindle. Those, you don't get to keep.

I guess I don't see what your complaint is.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2015 11:30:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2015 11:31:19 PM PDT
King Al says:
You don't need the email. You can go directly to http://smile.amazon.com/kindlefirst to select your Kindle First book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2015 4:20:36 AM PDT
But Al! That method necessitates the use of a calendar.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1645 10 minutes ago
8pm delivery estimate? 94 12 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9572 21 minutes ago
Amazon Oasis 1963 22 minutes ago
Does Kindle Paperwhite have the infamous 'blue light' that disrupts sleep? 198 29 minutes ago
How Convert AZW to DOC or PDF? 48 32 minutes ago
How do you update apps on the Kindle Fire 221 33 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7685 44 minutes ago
App updates 4 1 hour ago
Kindle Fire: App stuck on install in progress 52 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2014
Latest post:  Apr 12, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions