Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Where do saved pdf files go on kindle fire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2011 6:15:43 PM PST
Ana says:
I'd saved and downloaded the files but I'm not sure where they're saved to or how to access them. Any help? Please and thank you! (:

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 6:38:29 PM PST
BookLover says:
On my Fire, I can view downloaded files by opening the Silk menu and selecting "Downloads," by opening a Pdf viewer like Docs to Go, or using an app called ES File Explorer. They're in a Downloaded folder.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 9:57:21 AM PST
Merralin says:
What is the Silk menu?

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 10:05:54 AM PST
Jan,

Tap on WEB in the upper right from the home screen
Then Tap on the icon at the bottom that is like a page with horizontal lines
Then Tap on DOWNLOADS

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 6:05:10 AM PST
Chayda Black says:
How do u save them to the kindle fire , So we don't always have to access the silk download menu?

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 6:25:21 AM PST
dawnsong says:
The files you access from the Silk browser Downloads menu ARE saved on the Fire. They are in the Download folder.
To see all folders/contents in the file system install this free app...
ES File Explorer

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 9:02:57 AM PST
Chayda Black says:
Thank you.

Is there a reason why pdf's do not show up like regular books

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 7:13:34 AM PST
J. Miller says:
I would really like to be able to bookmark and make notes on pdf like I can with books. Is there a way to?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 8:14:01 AM PST
Only books in Kindle format appear in the Books tab.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 2:30:57 PM PST
Put it in the Docs folder instead, it will appear under Documents that's a little more convenient. And they can still open in the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 2:54:35 PM PST
S. Mizell says:
How do you move it from download file to document file?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 10:35:02 AM PDT
Vic says:
Did you ever get help with this? I'm also having the same problem

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 11:00:37 AM PDT
Use an app like ES File Explorer to move files within your Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2012 2:30:34 PM PDT
Vic says:
According to what I've read you should be able to do it by emailing a PDF and it should show up in the DOCS when you download it. I don't want to install any third party apps (nor amazon apps) to do this and I shouldn't have to, unless it's a design in the kindle fire that wont let you move files from your download folder to your docs folder.

I've been doing some research and it seems that you have to email the doc to yourself, but I want to know if a friend can email you a PDF and can you downloaded it and have it show up in your DOCs folder WITHOUT using a third party app.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2012 3:44:11 PM PDT
Yes, if you email it using the @kindle addy, it should go to the DOCS. The original posters were asking how to find a file that they downloaded while actually on the Fire.

Your question- Yes others can send files to your kindle. 1. You have to go to http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle , on the left side, choose Personal Document Settings, and about half way down, you need to add their email address that they will be sending files from.
2. You then give them the email address for your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 3:22:59 PM PDT
Vic says:
Thanks Chew, I had realized that I was getting confused with the @kindle addy and was sending to their regular addy. Thanks again for answering my question :-)

I'm still curious to know if there is a way to move downloaded docs/attachments from an email that are in the download folder to the Docs folder in the kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 8:01:47 AM PDT
go into photo gallery you will see them in there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 5:53:11 PM PDT
Bri Swartley says:
I would really like to do this as well.... anyone figure it out?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 5:57:44 PM PDT
To be able to make notes and marks, you would have to convert the .pdf to .mobi format. You can do that on your own and then transfer via USB, use the Send to Kindle program, or email it to your Kindle's email address with "Convert" in the subject line.

http://amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 4:36:08 PM PST
B. Silvey says:
open office suite app and click on internal on the left. then click on download and pick the file you want to see.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 5:28:18 PM PST
Mary Ellen says:
On my first generation Fire I load PDFs to the device using the USB cord (I use the one that came with my Kindle Keyboard) and they show up in the DOCS tab without any problem. I've currently got about 8 PDF books there now and they open with no problem.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 7:40:15 PM PST
Laila says:
It took me twenty minutes on the Amazon Chat and another 30+mins on the phone before I decided to google this myself and easily found this discussion and was able to locate the PDFs/Files I had downloaded from the internet.....The person on the phone and on the chat had NO IDEA what i was talking about or how to find these...I had to tell her!!! I find it frustrating when a simple question of where are the files i have opened/downloaded from the internet located can not be answered by the Customer Support. Thank you to CivWar64 (Bob) and BookLover for your understanding of this issue. Maybe Amazon should hire you guys!!

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 9:02:06 PM PST
J. Lancaster says:
CivWar64 (Bob) hit the nail on the head!!! I found my recent and past downloads right away. This works in dolphin HD as well. Thank you so much.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:49:45 PM PST
How can I read downloaded documents with RAR suffix?

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 7:14:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2013 7:15:03 AM PST
rar is not a document format, it is a compressed file format similar to zip. You need to find a program that can open the rar file and extract your document before you can read it. I think Winzip can open rar files.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Nov 21, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions