Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle 8.9 why not 10?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2013 3:46:10 PM PDT
I really wish they would make a 10 inch Kindle, for us visably challenged.

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 3:58:16 PM PDT
The kindle fire 7 and 8.9 formats have been really, really popular. Interestingly enough, 10 inch tablets have been EXTREMELY hit or miss in the industry with many models producing significant losses for their producers, and only a handful moving enough stock to turn significant profit (samsung and apple, I am looking at you).

Amazon is interesting in that they have a subsidized sales model off of the back of the "tail" of sold items behind the tablet purchase itself. Even so, the model is only as successful as the number of units and its delineation versus the other offerings in the line.

The main reason for use of a 10 inch model is as a high end option, where the user is willing to sacrifice size and weight in order to gain things like additional input / output jacks, high resolution, etc.

When you look at that reason, and consider the 8.9 inch version about to come out, it just is not a compelling business case for Amazon. Is there any reason to go higher resolution right now than a 2560 x 1600 pixel screen? Is there any incentive to Amazon to make a model that is more expensive by including things like additional speakers, and jacks, and digital device support? These aspects may satisfy a small number of users, yes, but at a monetary price for every unit sold, at a price for things that can break on the tablet, and none of these features helps power the "tail" outside of HDMI out from the device to view videos on a TV.

Right now, in an industry where smaller form factor tablets are showing a great deal of sales traction, with a broader potential market, cheaper production cost, lighter and easier to manipulate form factor, and few features that would drive a 10" production form versus the 8.9", there seems to be little reason for Amazon to commit the funds to developing and then trying to sell a larger model.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2013 4:24:32 PM PDT
When the 8.9 was 1st announced , i was annoyed , wanting the 10inch myself. But after having the 8.9 i would'nt want any bigger for reading. It does get uncomfortable holding it after a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2013 4:36:30 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
LadeBugg said: I really wish they would make a 10 inch Kindle, for us visably challenged.

Do you mean visually challenged?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2013 5:03:17 PM PDT
Cata says:
Have you tried enlarging the font....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 5 hours ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 6 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 13 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 May 27, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 May 19, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
My Kindle 2nd Generation will not sync and states it can't connect 4 13 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 4888 13 minutes ago
Paper white keeps rebooting 27 28 minutes ago
Can I listen to audiobooks on a Kindle Paperwhite? 2 37 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 3696 38 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Sep 3, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions