Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon why is 1st Generation Kindle Warranty Replacement Not Allow...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 5:02:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:23:40 AM PST
Amazon - I bought the Kindle FIRE 1st Generation on day 1 of release at a price identical if not more than the new Kindle Fire HD 7inch. After just over 1 year my Kindle Fire 1st Gen is not functioning properly - internal charging connection. I was told I could send in the 1st gen and would receive a 2nd gen as replacement. NOTE: The defective First Gen Kindle Fire is still covered under SquareTrade plan. I have dealt with Squaretrade many times in the past and typically they will send you a full purchase price refund which in this case would be the $199 I paid for 1st gen thus allowing me to replace with the identically priced Kindle Fire HD 7 in. BUT AMAZON services they Kindle Squaretrade warranties and not squaretrade and Amazon's solution is to send a replacement that is much less than the $199 I paid so in reality if Squaretrade was handling warranty issues I would be a happy camper!

Why can I not receive a Fire HD 7 inch as replacement when the costs were identical price? Why even for a nominal fee is a Fire HD 7 inch not available for a replacement? When I purchased the 1 st Gen Kindle Fire the price was $199. It seem CRAZY if you want customers hooked on the new features of the HD and if it costs $199 for HD why are you replacing it with a second generation which costs much less new than what I paid for the 1 st gen????

Feel ripped off quite frankly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:09:08 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
They're offering to replace your out-of-warranty Kindle with the closest equivalent product. If you want the HD Fire, buy the HD Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:11:36 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
So, you are complaining why are you receiving, as a replacement for your "just" out of warranty device only a little bit better replacement, instead of even more better one?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:14:32 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
OK - just want to be certain I understand.

If you have a problem with an out-of-service-warranty on, say, a Toyota Camry. Would you expect a 2013 model as a replacement? Even vehicle insurance doesn't work that way. You get a "cash" amount of the value of the car that is destroyed in an accident. You do NOT get a brand new car.

You could sell the replacement Fire and use those funds to buy the newer model. Amazon doesn't do cash back deals on out of warranty items nor should they.

Check out other vendors such as Apple or B&N. See what those companies would do in a similar situation.

Then, check out those "ripped off" feelings to see if they remain.

DL

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:18:08 AM PST
Dawn says:
Wow just wow! I would be grateful they were replacing my OUT OF WARRENTY fire at all.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:18:43 AM PST
Sorry key info left out! It still is under warranty through the squaretrade plan purchased which I found out is sadly not handled by Squaretrade and it is Amazon.com who services these Kindle warranties. This is bad because I have dealt with Squaretrade on several warranties and they always cut a check for the purchase price which in the case of the Kindle Fire issue I would be sent $199 to which I could then turn around and buy the Kindle Fire HD for same price!! Not thrilled over the warranty for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:23:06 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
Then it sounds like you need to ask Square Trade why this warranty replacement is being handled differently.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:25:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:51:28 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
This doesn't sound quite right. It isn't under the default warranty period.

Is there possibly an alternate explanation such as: Even though your default warranty period has expired, you reported the problem to Amazon and they tried directly to address the issue by offering/send you a replacement device. If they had simply said that you'd have to report the issue via your extended warranty plan, you would have gotten that Squaretrade check. If this is a possible scenario, you are actually complaining about Amazon attempting to satisfy you even though the warranty had expired?

Is this possible?

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:26:17 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Ah, I understand now. In that case Squaretrade is the place to complain.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:27:58 AM PST
I did ask Squaretrade and they provided me an 866 toll free number which they said was Amazon and that Amazon handled all the squaretrade warranties for the kindle (at least they do now but that wasn't clear to me back when I bought the 1st gen. Purchased many Squaretrade warranties actually through Amazon.com and they have always sent check for full purchase price. But in this case I paid extra for the 2 year warranty on this Kindle and will get a replacement (instead of check) of something that does not reach the $199 I paid for the 1st gen. Customer Service standpoint HIGHLY disappointed with Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:34:48 AM PST
DL - thanks and these are good questions. I did call Squaretrade and they gave me a special number and I was told that Amazon.com itself services all the Kindle Fire Squaretrade warranties which is confusing to me yet now makes more sense because you can NOT buy a Kindle FIre warranty directly through Squaretrade like you can for other electronics, it must be purchased through Amazon.com. So...their 2 year extended warranties are essentially Amazon warranties with the Squaretrade name attached to it. Called both Amazon and Squaretrade and indeed Amazon covers all extended warranty issues. Unlike a TRUE squaretrade warranty I will NOT get a check for full purchase price and will get a replacement for something that retails for much less than my original full purchase price. Paid $199 for 1st Gen Kindle Fire. Kindle Fire HD 7in is $199 so I find it difficult to understand why, especially in light that I paid an extra $40+ for an extended 2 year warranty, that Amazon.com is doing something as sleezy as this to their Kindle customers....this is bad customer service!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:35:44 AM PST
Entitlement much? It doesn't matter what the price is NOW compared to then when you purchased it. They are offering a replacement for the item you originally ordered. Why the heck should you get an upgrade on a Kindle a year old?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:37:17 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Why is this sleazy? The price of the product was reduced over the last year. You are getting a new device that is better than the one you bought, regardless of price.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:37:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:38:38 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
If you have not already done so, perhaps you might consider sending them a detailed email about the sequence of events (including order numbers for the original Fire Purchase and applicable Square Trade warranty) and simply ask them why, in this instance, you are being offered a replacement rather than a cash/check.

Good luck,

DL

EtA: Ok - I see a new post from you so I don't know if this one from me is still relevant.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:42:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:45:47 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Is this what you bought?

2-Year Protection Plan plus Accident Coverage for Kindle Fire (Previous Generation)

The details of it are pretty clear about what will and will not be done. It doesn't mention Squaretrade at all - it is an Amazon coverage product.

If you have the Squaretrade information from when you first bought that coverage, see if the wording in it specifies cash v replacement. THEN ask Amazon how that policy is no longer in effect as worded.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:45:19 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Even this one 2-Year SquareTrade Warranty plus Accident Protection for Kindle Fire HD 7" (Previous Generation) offered as a separate purchase item specifies replacement rather than refund for the Fire.

You'll need to get the original coverage information from your first purchase of the Warranty.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:45:34 AM PST
~nospin says:
So you think you should have gotten a year of use of the Fire for free

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:46:12 AM PST
Nice comment especially the start. If you purchase MANY Squaretrade warranties and have used them on several occasions and in each case I was cut a check for my original full purchase price. Not the case for a Sqauretrade Amazon Kindle Fire Warranty. Here is one personal example, had a TV go bad and was warrantied by Squaretrade. No repair could be made so they sent a check for the full original price. I got one heck of an upgraded new TV with that check as the price of electronics has dictated better technology for same/lower price. The TV that was covered by squaretrade warranty at the time was top-of-the-line and in just a few years that technology is only on the lower end TVs...so with the check (still same as original purchase price) I got a new TV with far more features, better technology, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:47:15 AM PST
Nope...not what I said.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:47:49 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
It is the specific warranty wording that is relevant - not your experience with other products.

Repeating: Find your documentation from your purchase of that Squaretrade Warranty for the Kindle Fire. That is the only thing that is relevant.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:51:32 AM PST
~nospin says:
Essentially it was.
You had a year of use out of the product and are not happy with getting an equivalent product as replacement; you want an upgrade because the upgrade is the same price you paid last year for last year's model.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:55:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 6:07:18 AM PST
DL - Wow you have been helpful with your posts....sincere thanks. I dug up the warranty from over a year ago and it states that indeed they will replace it with same quality (in other words not refurbished) and it states they MAY replace it with a newer version. States new not refurbished. It also states that if for some reason they can't replace they will refund the full purchase price.

So your VERY helpful questions/comments have led me to a better understanding of this. Bottom line I guess is that never assume all Squaretrade warranties are the same as this TRULY is an Amazon extended warranty plan using the SquareTrade name. Thank you again DL and those who posted with helpful comments/questions.

Also note which may/may not be helpful to others: the "squaretrade" warranties on the Kindle Fires have indeed changed compared to the one I purchased just a year ago. The newer warranties (does not apply to the Kindle Fire I started discussion on) allow Amazon to send you a REFURBISHED one. Warranties now cost $50+ vs $40+ when I bought mine over a year ago. So weigh this in you purchasing decisions...is the now $50+ added to the price of your Kindle Fire for the warranty really worth it if they send you a refurbished replacement?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:59:05 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
My pleasure. Been in the "insurance/warranty" wars for a long time on MANY products (none from Amazon, btw.)

Any legal document requires close scrutiny. Depending on "experience" never works there.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:02:17 AM PST
B. Carter says:
The most probable reason that Amazon will not give you an upgrade to a FireHD is that it would take nanoseconds for the world to find out. There would be thousands of 1st Generation fires suddenly "not functioning properly". Amazon's outstanding customer service is well known and there is no shortage of dishonest people that will take advantage of that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:03:40 AM PST
B. Carter - you make an excellent point! Agree.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 6 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
FS Download Content 3 20 seconds ago
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 9542 21 seconds ago
amazon Echo 1523 3 minutes ago
A Revealing Interview with Jeff Bezoa 5 4 minutes ago
kindle 2 7 minutes ago
My Kindle port is broken 5 9 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 2567 10 minutes ago
kindle add-on 5 13 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 5058 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions