Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Downloading books from Project Gutenberg

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 19, 2012 3:29:36 PM PDT
I plugged my kindle into my computer via the USB cord. From the Gutenberg site, I clicked on a kindle file, then save as, and chose my kindle as the file to save to. None of the books I downloaded are on my kindle. What did I do wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 3:31:44 PM PDT
I'm not sure that will work although is sounds reasonable. Did you download them to the Documents folder on the Kindle drive?

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 3:42:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 3:43:19 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
I download Project Gutenberg books to a "Kindle Books" folder on my computer and copy them from there to my Kindle. That way if I ever have to reset my Kindle I've got all of the Gutenberg books backed up. (Books from external sites are NOT backed up on http://amazon.com, you are responsible for that.)

ETA: What folder did you put them in on your Kindle? What Kindle do you have?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 3:45:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 3:46:37 PM PDT
**Meya** says:
If you use the Send To Kindle application, the books will show up on Manage Your Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-7?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200768410&qid=1340145963&sr=1-7

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 4:12:50 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Good to know. I'm also finding more and more are listed in Kindle books now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 4:37:26 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
Gutenberg.org has instructions at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:MobileReader_Devices_How-To

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 10:04:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 10:05:32 PM PDT
Hey, thanks for those tips. I didn't realize I'd lose all those books if I didn't have them backed up elsewhere. Makes sense, just didn't think of that. I'm not sure what folder I put them in on my touch. I'll check it out and see.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:58:15 PM PDT
R. Wilde--thanks for the link. It helped a lot. I discovered I hadn't put them into my documents folder. Thanks everyone for the help!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 9438 6 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat (FB&C)---May 2016 850 8 minutes ago
How to remove trending now from start up on kindle fire HDX gen 3 ? 21 13 minutes ago
Kindle Fire/Sleep Timer 37 17 minutes ago
Kindle Oasis shipment date 7 39 minutes ago
books that don't end and want you to buy a sequel 9 56 minutes ago
How to remove books borrowed from the Library when they expired? 296 59 minutes ago
deleting passwords in silk on kindle fire 4 1 hour ago
Kindle Store Language 19 1 hour ago
Kindle Oasis 212 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jun 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions