Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

One Kindle, Two Accounts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2011 4:38:31 PM PST
Erineliza says:
Some back history- I have a Kindle and purchased Kindles for my dad and sister as well. They are all listed on my account so we can share books and save money.
Recently I have thought about purchasing some more "romantic/borderline erotic" books- but the thought of my father and older sister having access to them and knowing I am reading them is just a bit to much for me. I know I am a 40 year old, grown woman- but something about that is just uncomfortable for me. Is there a way to have another account where only my Kindle is linked so I can buy and download books that I may not want to share?
Thanks for the help!!

Posted on Jan 22, 2011 4:40:52 PM PST
C. S. Jones says:
You would need to deregister from your present account and register to the new account. After downloading the books to the Kindle reverse the process returning the registration to the original account. A Kindle device / app can only be registered to one account at a time.

Posted on Jan 22, 2011 4:41:06 PM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
Erineliza, a Kindle can only be linked to one account at a time.

All of the devices on the account can see all of the Kindle book store purchases made on that account (as long as they haven't been permanently deleted).

Bufo Calvin
Amazon Author Central page:
http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002E0NBIW

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011 4:59:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2011 5:00:47 PM PST
Nobody says:
Put them on your Kindle then immediately remove them from your archives on that page where you manage your Kindle. Just don't remove them from your Kindle until you're ready to be rid of them or you'll have to buy them again.

Edit: Nevermind. That won't work. I just reread and see that you all use the same Kindle. I was thinking it was multiple Kindles on one account.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011 5:07:10 PM PST
krystalspin says:
@ Erineliza

What you suggest and C.S.Jones confirms with detail will work. It's not "allowed" per se Terms of Service, but you are doing no one any harm!

If you also have your own computer, you can register your own copy of K4PC to the 'sly' account, so that you can log on and purchase books for the future, without de/re-registering the actual Kindle every time. But there can't be two K4PC installations on the same computer... or at least not on the same hard drive...

P.S. How do I know it works? I share my main account with husband and B.I.L. -- and I am 52!

Posted on Jan 22, 2011 5:26:54 PM PST
Have you looked into buying books elsewhere? Some of the small romance publishers sell DRM-free books that you can transfer to your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011 7:37:55 PM PST
Erineliza says:
krystalspin: If I download K4PC to my computer and create the 'sly' account, do I then have to read the book on the PC? How would I get it to my actual Kindle for reading? Thanks for all the tips :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2011 7:48:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2011 7:51:46 AM PST
ShirleyKat says:
Erineliza, As others have said, you can register back and forth between your two Amazon accounts. There is nothing at all wrong with that. The Kindle is yours, both accounts are yours, and no one is trying to grab free books from another account without paying for them. So go ahead and set up another account to buy certain books. Then keep your Kindle out of their hands. :-)

When you have another account, any Kindle device can be registered to it. You don't need Kindle for PC to do what you originally stated you want to do.

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 11:42:10 AM PST
krystalspin says:
Right, SK is right, you don't NEED the K4PC, that was just to be able to buy books (from the computer, signed in as YOU not your Kindle family acct) without doing the registration dance every time... because I BELIEVE you have to have a device or app registered to buy an e-book (something has to show in the Send To dropdown window).

Erineliza, you would not have to read on the PC; you could even remove the book from the PC app after it was bought! The book from the sly account will stay on the Kindle when you deregister -- it will not be visible to the other members of the family account when you reregister to that acct. Deregister from that acct, register to your personal account, send the book, go back to the full-time account.

Do not worry if your collections disappear while you are on the sly account. Mine did, with their books, but came back as soon as I reregistered to the shared account. Just don't make any changes to your Collections, including putting the new books in one, WHILE on the sly account.

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 12:03:57 PM PST
Erineliza says:
Thanks so much everyone. Using the K4PC and then registering my Kindle to that account worked out great. A perfect way to buy books only intended for me ;-)

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 9:47:40 AM PST
Mjeanrou says:
If my sister is uses my Kindle, can she purchase her own books and charge them to her credit card?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 9:51:55 AM PST
~nospin says:
You really need to start your own thread. You added on to one that is 10 months old.

I am really unclear what you are asking. If your sister is borrowing your Kindle and wants to buy a book, gift certificates bought by her and applied to your account are probably the way to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 10:00:58 AM PST
Mjeanrou says:
Because I needed backlighting before Kindle had it, I now use an iPad. I would like to give my Kindle to my sister, but don't want to be paying for her books. If she opened an Amazon/Kindle account, could she pay for the books which appeared on my(her) kindle. She does not use the internet, so she would be making all purchases on the Kindle.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 11:09:04 AM PST
Zimdle says:
If you deregister the Kindle and give it to your sister, she can register the Kindle to her own Amazon account and she would have to pay for her own books. Your credit card would no longer be associated with that Kindle.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 1:46:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2011 1:47:28 PM PST
Why not set up a new bank account, use that to set up a new Amazon account, buy a new Kindle on that account, and have all the eroto stuff purchsed by the new account, and loaded to the new Kindle? Keep the new Kindle away from the parents/children/etc. Keep the old Kindles on the old account, which everyone shares.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 7:25:57 PM PST
Mjeanrou says:
Would I still keep my Kindle account for iPad use? I do not want to lose my archived and active books?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
82 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
SwagBucks Thread 1631 23 seconds ago
FREE Books & Chat - Sunday 13th July, 2014 57 1 minute ago
Access Lending library with prime when using ipad kindle reader 140 4 minutes ago
Need help with calibre/kindle fire problem please! 57 6 minutes ago
My kindle fire hd won't turn on 239 7 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9292 7 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 1619 7 minutes ago
silk browser keeps crashing on fire hd 8.9 260 12 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 6781 18 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions