Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle DX feedback

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2010 1:38:12 PM PST
I have had my kindle DX for a couple of months now and I am really enjoying it. I love the fact that I can get books for free or get a preview of a book I wish to purchase. My only complaints are the weight of the book, price of the book and price of the covers. It is heavy and a very expensive investment. I have to remind you I am Canadian so there are extra charges. I also have a small problem with the screen, if my hand slips it goes to the side view. But I am still learning all the things I can do with my Kindle so maybe I can turn that off or something, but I hope with the purchase of a cover it will be easier to hold.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 1:45:46 PM PST
Jeremy says:
You can turn off the auto rotate feature by pressing the font options button(Aa) and select the screen rotation option you prefer at the bottom of the menu.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 1:49:21 PM PST
Debi says:
You can lock it so it doesn't do that. Just push the Aa key and scroll to the bottom.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 1:58:56 PM PST
Murphy says:
I have the DXG as well as a kindle 3. Got the 3 to travel with so I use both of them frequently. You can't beat the DX screen. I like the 3 a lot, but, at least in my opinion, I much prefer the DX, and would choose the DX if I could only have one kindle

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 2:01:30 PM PST
D. Baker says:
I only have the DX and would not like (I think) the smaller screen. As others have said, you can lock the screen so it won't rotate (that used to happen to me a lot). I waited 9 months to buy a cover (used a sleeve for a netbook) and I am so happy with it!

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 11:14:05 AM PST
Thank you for the hint about locking the screen. I will have to look that one up to see how to do it. No I am completely happy with the size of the screen. But $75.00 for a cover, well, while it is a lot of money it is something I think I need, grandchildren are curious and want to play with it.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 1:39:52 PM PST
I enjoy my kindle but I find pushing the button to go to the next page difficult at times, it sticks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 1:41:41 PM PST
**Meya** says:
Marlene, you have posted to a very old, very dormant, thread. The last time it was posted to was 2010.

You really should start your own thread. Please include details, especially WHICH Kindle model you are asking about.

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 1:59:03 PM PDT
I have my Kindle since 2011 and have started to use it more than my paper books. The only negative thing is when it slips from upright to a flatter picture. However, I do enjoy my time reading my myriad of books. The kindle model I have is Kindle DX, 45h edition.

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 1:59:41 PM PDT
I have my Kindle since 2011 and have started to use it more than my paper books. The only negative thing is when it slips from upright to a flatter picture. However, I do enjoy my time reading my myriad of books. The kindle model I have is Kindle DX, 4th edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2013 2:40:31 PM PDT
Artist says:
Why do you keep resurrecting an old thread?

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 10:57:20 AM PDT
pawpawak says:
I have had my kindle dx since 2008 and I love it. I also have a kindle fire and my husband has a fire hd. We love them. I get free books from the 100 free books every month. Two days ago when I started checking the list I found the first four books I wanted to order were not free. Cost ranged from 99 cents to $5.99. Why are these books listed under the top 100 free books? I would like some feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2013 11:28:40 AM PDT
Artist says:
It tells you why at the bottom of the screen where you're selecting the free books.

We would appreciate it if you didn't pull up zombie threads, and just start your own new post if you need help.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 2:26:28 PM PDT
pawpawak says:
I'm afraid I don't understand anything you wrote. I don't do my selections on the computer. I go to 100 free books on my kindle dx. They have a list of 100 free books. I choose from that list. I have been doing this since 2008. Now they are not all free. My question is why. I don't understand what you mean by zombie threads or anything else said. I just want an answer to my question.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 2:37:49 PM PDT
Tinker-bella says:
A zombie thread is one that originated long ago... in other words, it has been resurrected from the dead threads. This thread originated back in 2010, so that is why The Artist made reference to a "zombie thread."

As far as why the pricing varies, if you actually view the Top 100 from the Amazon website, there is a disclaimer down at the bottom which says:

"These lists, updated hourly, contain bestselling items. Here you can discover the best Kindle eBooks in Amazon Best Sellers, and find the top 100 most popular Amazon Kindle eBooks. For non-U.S. customers, Kindle content availability and pricing will vary."

In essence, it is saying that the lists and prices are updated hourly, so what may have been free this morning may not necessarily be free in the afternoon. Some free books are only free for as limited of a window as an hour.

It's always a good idea (whether you are browsing for books via your Kindle or by your computer browser) to verify the actual price prior to purchasing, as the price listed prior to purchase will be the most up-to-date.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 10:43:33 AM PST
Nomad says:
I think it is time to upgrade the DX software, and consider some advancements. I love the DX.

Posted on Mar 2, 2014 9:38:54 AM PST
My Kindle DX is working well, but I've just noticed that the battery icon and the book title are no longer visible at the top. Can anyone help or explain how to get it back?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2014 9:54:58 AM PST
Have you done the hard reset? Ensure the Kindle is fully charged and remove the charging cable. Press and hold the power button 30 seconds (time it). Wait until the home screen fully loads.

By the Way - It's always better to start a new thread with a title that gives some idea of the problem. You're more likely to get an answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2014 10:10:00 AM PST
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2014 11:20:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2014 11:24:03 AM PST
Carbonbased says:
You may be looking at a feature, not a flaw. The page header shows when you open the book, but goes away the first time you turn a page, giving you a less cluttered look, fewer distractions.
Press the Home button, then open the book again. The title and battery icon should show...until you turn a page.
If you forget while you're reading, press Menu and the header will pop up, along with the options. Press Menu again to clear both and return to reading mode.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2014 11:39:12 AM PST
I also think $75 is too much. I got a protector that gives you a better grip but does not cover the screen.. I also got a nice sleeve that I will used for traveling and they are both way less than $75. Search other and Amazon for protectors like

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2014 11:44:04 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I'm sure they've been waiting since Nov 2010 for your response

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2014 11:47:10 AM PST
Thanks, but the "hard reset" fixed the problem.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 2:52:52 PM PDT
Mokumer says:
I wish the DX toggle button was an innie like the smaller Kindle's, when carrying a Kindle DX inside a cover the toggle goes live.
Also after 4+ years one would expect a software upgrade, heck we paid enough!
That said I love my DX.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2015 8:01:13 PM PDT
Harvey says:
I'm a good customer of Amazon and a Am. Prime member, and have had my Kindle DX for several yrs or so.
1. PLEASE give me a way to NOT have the 'wallpaper' screens of these authors. One gets sick of looking at the same authors and other pics continually. PLEASE give an update on your Kindle DX program enabling this. Even the 'Kindle Feedback' screen would be much better. And even better would be enabling me to post my own wallpaper pics (when the Kindle is in off mode).
2. A CONTINUAL problem is that when I highlight text (as I often do) on the Kindle DX, very frequently the system locks up for a minute or more before the highlight takes!! This is most annoying. Please fix.
Thanks Much, Robert A. Fesmire
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 1 day ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Kindle Touch Screen 14 1 minute ago
kindle fire HD 7" randomly turns off 350 1 minute ago
Audible vs audiobooks 49 15 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage 2 304 23 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 1011 30 minutes ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 6530 32 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 4452 52 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 5433 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2010
Latest post:  11 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions