Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Enabling Bluetooth on the Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2011 10:26:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 10:47:36 AM PST
ThunderTech says:
The embedded WLAN/BT Combo IC chips used in the Kindle Fire is capable of Bluetooth using the same WiFi antenna. When will the Bluetooth option be enable so we can connect external devices like keyboards, gps receivers, & external speakers on the Kindle Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 10:28:19 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
We're readers/customers here - not Amazon employees. We have no idea when, or even if, this might happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 10:39:31 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Right around the same time they activate the microphone on the K3.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 10:44:49 AM PST
Bluetooth is available on the chip. That doesn't mean it will ever be enabled - the chip is an all-in-one radio chip for small wireless devices, and Bluetooth is just a standard part of the package. The fact that it's there doesn't imply Amazon ever intends to use it.

OTOH, if all the necessary hardware (antenna connection, etc.) is present it's possible one of the third-part Android deliveries, like Cynanogenmod, will eventually be available for the Fire and could enable the Bluetooth hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 11:28:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2011 3:50:28 PM PST
ThunderTech says:
The WLAN/BT/FM chip used in the Kindle Fire only requires drivers in order to enable Bluetooth (It uses the same antenna that the WiFi uses, but the FM could never be enabled because there are no antennas for the RX or TX portions of the chip) I'm hopeful that CM9 will enable Bluetooth on the Fire, and if Amazon doesn't enable BT, then I most certainly will custom ROM my Kindle and begin exploring the Fire to it's maximum capabilities.
The WiFI/BT chipset used in the Kindle Fire is the Texas Instruments WL1270B WLAN (repackaged for Jorjin as a WG7310-00)
Note: The Jorjin WG7310-00 chip has WLAN/BT/FM built-in.
http://cn.triquint.com/upload/wlan-solution/WG7310-00-SPC-R03.pdf
The Bluetooth 2.1+EDR portion of the Jorjin WG7410-00 chip shares RF with the 802.11b/g/n WiFi antenna RF Connector

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 12:06:47 PM PST
ThunderTech: Thanks. I wasn't sure about the antenna, good to know it will be possible. It may even be that Amazon will enable BlueTooth eventually (I'm still hoping they're working on an ICS release, too). I'll probably play around with CM9 when it comes out. I'm running CM7 on my Droid currently.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 5:45:29 PM PDT
Big Al says:
well dam I was hoping to use a wireless Bluetooth headphones with my kindle fire nut guess it is not possible :(

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 9:42:11 AM PDT
D. Clark says:
Actually, there are Bluetooth adapters that you can plug into your Kindle Fire's headphone jack that will allow you to use Bluetooth headphones. This isn't using the Bluetooth chip embedded within the Kindle Fire, but within the adapters themselves. Search on amazon.com for "JayBird uSport Bluetooth Adapter for 3.5mm Devices".

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 12:02:55 PM PDT
Kathleen says:
I was wondering if I could use something like that. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:00:40 PM PDT
D. Clark says:
Re ThunderTech:

"The WiFI/BT chipset used in the Kindle Fire is the Texas Instruments WL1270B WLAN (repackaged for Jorjin as a WG7310-00"

Other sources on the web state that the KF contains a WG7310-30, not a WG7310-00. The WG7310-30 does not contain Bluetooth.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:00:50 PM PDT
@ThunderTech

Been there, done that. Search for "Bluetooth" in the discussions.

I have had mine apart. Mine does look exactly like the photo's on the ifixit website.
There are several lines of code in the startup kernal.

The Kindle Fire was manufactured by Quanta Computer, in Taiwan, these are the same people that manufacture most of the high end laptops and the nook tablet.

Just because some Kindle Fire's have the correct chip, does not mean that all of them do. Manufacturers frequently substitute similar chips with the same footprint "socket" at time like they ran out of the appropriate chip, or something like that. IE: because one has it, doesn't mean that they all have it.

There is no indication that Amazon ever intended to incorporate Bluetooth in the Kindle Fire. Or before the release of the Kindle Fire, they may have ran into a glitch, that they did not believe they had time to fix.

In the last case, they may have disabled the "Bluetooth" device. This is something that Amazon has done before. IE: If you hold your KF in the Portrait position "with the power button on the bottom" and look carefully in the upper left corner, in the black band surrounding the screen. You will find a small circle in the black band. That is an Ambient Light Sensor, which operated before the first update. There apparently was a problem with it, and they disabled it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:50:28 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
This is true. However, potential buyers who want to use wireless headphones for watching movies should be aware that these adapters usually (always, in my experience, but I haven't tried them all) introduce an audio delay that will ruin lip-synch. This delay is caused by the additional analog-to-digital conversion stage introduced by the adapter.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 4:39:20 PM PDT
bando says:
You can find the drivers somewhere nonlinear to use bluetooth. I have bluetooth enabled and I've used it to connect a Wiimote to it to play games with Droidemu.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 4:49:04 PM PDT
@bando: That post was from 5 months ago. This was a dead thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 4:53:52 PM PDT
@ John Hodgkinson says:
(KINDLE FORUM PRO)

I don't know about down under, but apparently up here, it ain't dead until user's quite posting to it. And it appears to still be up.

Toshiba!!!

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 7:01:48 PM PST
DED says:
Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special OffersI was told by 9 different people it was Bluetooth enabled and only one who says no. Just got my Kindle Fire ( for Christmas, love it but need Thunder Tech to help me!!! I need a printed bood to look at when I'm trying to learn instead of the books on Kindle. Iknow this defeats he purpose but easier to learn

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:03:42 PM PST
The Fire HD models have Bluetooth. You enable it under the wireless settings (swipe down from the top of the screen and tap "wireless).

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 5:38:47 AM PDT
is it possible to run 2 bluetooth headphones simultaneously on kindel fire

Posted on May 16, 2014 2:26:24 PM PDT
Can I use the bluetooth on my Kindle with Kicker Speakers? I connects to the speaker but I can not hear anything.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2014 2:39:16 PM PDT
Did you start some type of audio playing on the Fire?

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 4:22:38 PM PDT
So is there no way to use a keyboard bluetooth case w a KF? I'm really hoping so since I just bought one from someone advertising it as a "Kindle Fire keyboard case with Bluetooth"& I hate typing on this thing!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2014 4:39:49 PM PDT
You can only use a Bluetooth keyboard with a Fire HDX or Fire HD, not a Fire.

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 5:53:03 PM PST
My bluetooth says it is paired with my headphone but no sound comes from it. Why?

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 4:55:55 PM PST
Trying to add Flash 2 to Kindle Fire. Says it is downloaded, but cannot open.? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2015 5:04:48 PM PST
Mike says:
Wendy, what does Flash have to do with Bluetooth?

Besides, Flash doesn't support Android devices.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2011
Latest post:  21 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions