Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Free Books & Chat- Sunday- Dec 8, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 145 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2013 3:38:57 AM PST
BubbaK says:
Good morning, afternoon, or evening where ever you are in this wonderful world of ours. Come in and join us for a day of free book finding and some chatting. We welcome any newbies and are always happy to see old timers pop in and say hey.
But business first:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.

You are welcome to join us for conversation.
However, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. If you're looking to promote your work, please go to the "Meet Our Authors", many of us check there as well.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

.........THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES..............

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
Helpful FB&C Information . . .

★★ Links To Free Book Resources ★★

dailyfreebooks.com

http://ereaderiq.com/freebies/

www.eReaderPerks.com

freereadfeed.com

http://www.heidoc.net/amazon/subscribe.php?department=MYSTHR&sort=TITLE&newtitles=on&GO=GO

You are strongly urged to confirm the price of the book before completing your purchase.
The price displayed on Amazon's website at the time of purchase is the price of the book.
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

If the conversation is not your thing please visit our sister thread Freebie BOOKS - Links Only - No Self Promotion...
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgID=Mx247WQ7BZWN2G9&cdMsgNo=7738&cdPage=310&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx21VD4083ZF1LD#Mx247WQ7BZWN2G9

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

╰❈╮Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To Link:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?usp=sharing

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。

╰❈╮Link to the FB&C Group Cookbook thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。❈.♡.❈ FB&C Book Discussion:

The next book discussion is scheduled for Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 6:00pm PT.

The book selected is *** NOT CURRENTLY FREE Firefly Beach by Meira Pentermann.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 3:40:05 AM PST
BubbaK says:
(¢¬.*¢¥ ¢¬.*¢¥*' ~* ⊱✿⊰ FB&C Start Schedule:

Leo Little Monday, December 9 Start time 10:00pm - 2:00am PDST
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, December 10 Start time around midnight PDST
Robb - Wednesday, December 11 Start Time: 10pm PT
Lover of Books - Friday, December 13 Start Time: 10:30pm PDT
Susan - Saturday, December 14 Start time 12pm-7am ET
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, December 17 Start time around midnight PDST
Lover of Books - Friday, December 20 Start Time: 10:30pm PDT
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, December 24 Start time around midnight PDST
Lover of Books - Friday, December 27 Start Time: 10:30pm PDT
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, December 31 Start time around midnight PDST

❈.¢½.❈ ~~~ WE ARE IN NEED OF NEW THREAD STARTERS ~~~ ❈.¢½.❈

.❈. Open Dates:

Thursday, December 12
Sunday, December 15
Monday, December 16
Wednesday, December 18
Thursday, December 19
Saturday, December 21
Sunday, December 22
Monday, December 23
Wednesday, December 25
Thursday, December 26
Saturday, December 28
Sunday, December 29
Monday, December 30

⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***

Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.

************** We'll help you through it! **************
Here is the link to yesterdays thread:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx28FRC8CFQ5GVS

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 3:42:14 AM PST
BubbaK says:
Tis the season. Sending warm thoughts to your family. Happy Holidays.
These are just some of the sentiments you see on Christmas cards. And since I was working on mine tonight I thought I would check and see where and when the Christmas card originated. So here is what I found.
The first Christmas cards were made in England in 1843 when Sir Henry Cole wanted to acknowledge his cause of charity, but had too many contacts to write personal notes. Cole asked artist John Halcott Horsely to paint a picture showing people providing food and clothing to the poor. The resulting picture showed a family hugging and tipping glasses to one another. The words "A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You" were printed onto the card. Although his intentions had been pure, the card caused controversy when some people saw it as encouraging consumption of alcohol by children.
Although some say Sir Henry did not send any more cards after causing such a controversy, the idea became popular quickly. The following year, 25,000 Christmas cards were sold. All Christmas Cards were made in England until 1875 when German immigrant Louis Prang opened a card shop in the United States. His first Christmas cards did not feature Christmas scenes, but by 1881 Prang was printing 5 million Christmas cards a year.
Early Christmas cards had pictures of fruit and other non-holiday related themes. As time went on, most of them took on pictures of Santa or other winter themes. The commonly seen image of Santa was designed in 1863 for the cover of "Harper's Weekly" magazine. Digital photography makes putting personal pictures on cards easy. In 2010 a Google search for Christmas Photo Design Cards returned more than 9 million results.
So, the question for today is- Do you send Christmas cards out and how many? Is this the time of year you enjoy getting your mail because there is the chance that there is a Christmas card or letter or some new photos of family, kiddos, friends or fur babys?
I generally send out approximately 70 or so. Around 50 or so are family. And almost all I receive cards from too. Although the last few years the rising postal rates have made it harder I still enjoy sending and receiving Christmas cards.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 4:01:10 AM PST
BubbaK says:
Been a rough night, so headed back to bed for a bit. See you all in a few!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 4:49:19 AM PST
Great Start, interesting information about Christmas cards.
Get some more rest and we will see you later.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 5:05:39 AM PST
redandwhite says:
@ BubbaK
That was really interesting about the Christmas cards - just think all the stuff we didn't know until we came to FB&C.
Thanks for doing the research.
I am one of those who has stopped sending cards through the post, I cheat and write emails instead, though I must admit it is not quite the same not receiving cards in the post - I do still get some but not nearly as many as in the old days when I strung them on the wall on red ribbon - looked so festive.

Have a good sleep (hopefully in bed and not under the tree !) see you again when you return

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 5:14:47 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Hiding the Past (The Forensic Genealogist #1)by Nathan Dylan Goodwin
Publication Date: September 5, 2013
Peter Coldrick had no past; that was the conclusion drawn by years of personal and professional research. Then he employed the services of one Morton Farrier, Forensic Genealogist - a stubborn, determined man who uses whatever means necessary to uncover the past. With the Coldrick Case, Morton faces his toughest and most dangerous assignment yet, where all of his investigative and genealogical skills are put to the test. However, others are also interested in the Coldrick family, people who will stop at nothing, including murder, to hide the past. As Morton begins to unearth his client's mysterious past, he is forced to confront his own family's dark history, a history which he knows little about.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 5:22:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2013 4:51:05 AM PST
The Story of Christmas Time by Leonard Little
When Christmas Time...the youngest daughter of Father Time and Mother Nature falls in love, her spoiled older sister, Mary trick's her into becoming a tree. Nicolas--Christy's fiance-- only has until New Years Day to find a way to change her back or she'll have to remain a tree forever.
THE STORY OF CHRISTMAS TIME is a new twist on the old story of Santa Claus and the Spirit of Christmas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Author
I wrote this story for my Granddaughter Tiffani when she was in second grade and asking questions about Santa Claus. So me being who I am, had to create a completely new mythos surrounding the jolly old elf.

*****************************************************************************************************
I read it already and it is very cute.. The first Christmas tree and the first St. Nick Love the way it came together.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 5:30:10 AM PST
Good morning all. I haven't been posting because I have been a little down in the dumps and feeling sorry for myself. Trying to do better. My MRI showed a second break on the OTHER side of my knee. As a result the healing time has extended to a probable 12 weeks. I'm also set to see an orthopedist tomorrow as they say these breaks need to be watched very carefully and I need x-rays weekly as well as a different brace. Getting around is still terribly hard and I'm starting to go bonkers from not being able to do the simplest things. Probably won't be posting much but will be reading all of your posts.

Thanks for the start Kelly and congrats on the baby-to-be Red. What a wonderful Christmas present.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 5:50:11 AM PST
Sally in SA says:
Thanks for starting us off BubbaK.

The info on Christmas cards was great. I also don't send them out anymore. I remember having a Christmas card list and sending out hundreds of cards every year. Like Red, I would string them up on either a red ribbon or just a piece of string! We always bought Christmas cards which benefitted a charity. I think those same charities must be losing out quite substantially these days.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 5:58:15 AM PST
Sally in SA says:
Red, congratulations on your wonderful news.

Oregon Fiddler, so very sorry to hear your distressing news. You must be feeling very low right now. It's dreadful to be immobile and have to rely on others all the time. 12 weeks is just such a long time. Pop in often and have these wonderful people on this thread cheer you up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 6:01:20 AM PST
Oh Kathy, With news like that I can see why you would be down in the dumps. BUT, At FB&C we are friends through thick and thin, good or bad, When you are low let us pick you up..
This is such a bad time of year... I'm sure that you have holiday things that you would like to be able to do.. Know that we are here for you..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 6:09:30 AM PST
redandwhite says:
@ Oregon Fiddler
So great that you checked in - we have been thinking about how it has been going for you, and now it seems that it is not such cheery news as you would have wanted. On the up-side, thank goodness they found the second break, could have been a lot worse if they had not done so - perhaps the new brace will be easier to deal with.
Glad that you felt you could come here to share how you are feeling - we are here for you.
Sending positive and healing vibes your way ♥

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 6:14:34 AM PST
Lenora says:
Thanks for the start, BubbaK. I'm really not feeling well today. My stomach is upset, I'm very achy from the shot, and my hands are very itchy, which is a side effect from one of the chemo drugs. I'm waiting for the antihistamine to kick in. My friend and I have postponed our plans.

So sorry about your news, Oregon Fiddler.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 6:18:47 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Three women are about to be executed for crimes. One's a brunette, one's a redhead, and one's a blonde.

Two guards brings the brunette forward, and the executioner asks if she has any last requests. She says no, and the executioner shouts, "Ready . . . Aim . . ."

Suddenly the brunette yells, "earthquake!!" Everyone is startled and looks around. She manages to escape.

The angry guards then bring the redhead forward, and the executioner asks if she has any last requests. She says no, and the executioner shouts, "Ready . . . Aim . . ."

The redhead then screams, "tornado!!" Yet again, everyone is startled and looks around. She too escapes execution.

By this point, the blonde had figured out what the others did. The guards bring her forward, and the executioner asks if she has any last requests. She also says no, and the executioner shouts, Ready . . . Aim . . ."

The blonde shouts, "fire!!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 6:19:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2013 8:26:57 AM PST
Sally in SA says:
Sorry you are feeling poorly Lenora. Pity you had to postpone your plans. I'm sure an outing always makes you feel better. Hope that antihistamine kicks in soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 6:23:51 AM PST
Lenora says:
Thanks Sally! I should have known it was pushing it to make plans the weekend after a 3 drug chemo. My friend can usually only do things Sunday mornings, due to work and family commitments. I'd been given a gift card for the movie theater and was excited. Another day...

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 6:44:12 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Day of the Bone Thief by Rick Mofina
Publication Date: October 20, 2013
DAY OF THE BONE THIEF is Rick Mofina's largest anthology to date with 11 compelling tales of short crime fiction, featuring four stories gathered in one volume for the first time.

The collection starts with "Day of the Bone Thief", a story of greed and calculation arising from Alberta's badlands. It's followed by "Innocent Victim", the case of a woman overwhelmed with guilt over an unbelievable tragedy. In "Go For Broke", two strangers, desperate for different reasons, come together in small town. In the next tale, "They Always Came at Night", an aging man reflects on the majestic beauty of his remote cabin and the secret events that took place there.

DAY OF THE BONE THIEF also includes the gripping stories found in Rick Mofina's two earlier collections, DANGEROUS WOMEN & DESPERATE MEN and THREE TO THE HEART.

This 11-story anthology includes "Lightning Rider", the winner of Canada's top literary prize for crime fiction, the Arthur Ellis Award for Best Short Story, presented by the Crime Writers of Canada. Also included is "Backup", a gut-wrenching story that was a finalist for a Best Short Story Award by The International Thriller Writers, and was short-listed for the Arthur Ellis Award.

With this collection, Rick Mofina provides his finest short pieces of crime fiction, heart-wrenching stories of people facing enormous odds.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 6:48:09 AM PST
redandwhite says:
@ Lenora
Sorry that today is not one of your better days and hope that the antihistamine will be effective for you.
What a pity about your outing, but hopefully you will be able to do it another day.
Hope that you can lean back and catch a nap and feel better a.s.a.p. Hugs

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 6:50:24 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Hi Sally
Presume that you have been busy the last couple of days, missed you here, even the night shift appeared to be sleeping LOL

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 7:14:07 AM PST
BubbaK says:
Fiddler- Dang, bummer about the knee. But you feel sorry for yourself as long as you need to. I found that out this past year when you can't do things you usually do or want to. And you can always drop in on Donnas Whiney Wednesday and whine some more! But seriously hope it doesn't take that long at least to the part of not hurting and maybe maneuvering easier. We will just keep sending you daily hugs. :)

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 7:21:08 AM PST
BubbaK says:
Lenora- wIsh you were feeling better. Sorry about your plans getting cancelled. Sounds like another day of lounging and reading.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 7:28:44 AM PST
BubbaK says:
Hey Red and Sally- I used to always try to hang my cards too. I have also tried the wreath card holders, metal trees that holds cards. The last 2 yrs they just sat in a stack on the counter. I am trying to figure something to do with them this year. Maybe somebody will come up with a idea for me! Suggestions.🎄🎅

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 7:52:23 AM PST
Linda B says:
Red - This doesn't look like your usual genre but it is one of mine. Thanks for the link.
Also liked your most recent blonde joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 7:54:34 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Well BubbaK I am not sure about us all helping you - haven't you heard that there is a new "Twelve Days of Christmas" Policy

CORPORATE MEMO
To: All Staff
Date: December 1
Subject: New "Twelve Days of Christmas" Policy

The recent announcement that Donner and Blitzen have elected to take the early reindeer retirement package has triggered a good deal of concern about whether they will be replaced, and about other restructuring decisions at the North Pole.

Streamlining is due to the North Pole's loss of dominance in the season's gift distribution business. Home Shopping TV channels and mail order catalogues have diminished Santa's market share. He and the Board could not sit idly by and permit further erosion of the profit picture.

The reindeer downsizing was made possible through purchase of a late model Japanese sled for the CEO's annual trip. Improved productivity from Dasher and Dancer, who summered at the Harvard Business School, is anticipated. Reduction in the reindeer will also lessen airborne environmental emissions for which the North Pole has received unfavorable press (gas and solid waste).

We're pleased to inform you that Rudolph's role will not be disturbed. Tradition still counts for something at the North Pole!

Management denies, in the strongest possible language, the earlier leak that Rudolph's nose get red, not from the cold, but from substance abuse. Calling Rudolph "a lush who was into the sauce and never did pull his share of the load" was an unfortunate comment, made by one of Santa's helpers and taken out of context at a time of the year when they are known to be under 'executive stress'.

As for further restructuring, today's global challenges require the North Pole to continue to look for better, more competitive steps. Effective immediately, the following economy measures are to take place in the "Twelve Days of Christmas" music subsidiary:

1) The partridge will be retained, but the pear tree, which never produced the cash crop forecasted, will be replaced by a plastic hanging plant, providing considerable savings in maintenance;

2) Two turtle doves represent a redundancy that is simply not cost effective. In addition, their romance during working hours could not be condoned. The positions are, therefore, eliminated;

3) The three French hens will remain intact. After all, everyone loves the French;

4) The four calling birds will be replaced by an automated voice mail system, with a call waiting option. An analysis is underway to determine who the birds have been calling, how often and how long they talked;

5) The five golden rings have been put on hold by the Board of Directors. Maintaining a portfolio based on one commodity could have negative implications for institutional investors. Diversification into other precious metals, as well as a mix of T-Bills and high technology stocks, appear to be in order;

6) The six geese-a-laying constitutes a luxury which can no longer be afforded. It has long been felt that the production rate of one egg per goose per day was an example of the general decline in productivity. Three geese will be let go, and an upgrading in the selection procedure by personnel will assure management that, from now on, every goose it gets will be a good one;

7) The seven swans-a-swimming is obviously a number chosen in better times. The function is primarily decorative. Mechanical swans are on order. The current swans will be retrained to learn some new strokes, thereby enhancing their outplacement;

8) As you know, the eight maids-a-milking concept has been under heavy scrutiny by the EEOC. A male/female balance in the workforce is being sought. The more militant maids consider this a dead-end job with no upward mobility. Automation of the process may permit the maids to try a-mending, a-mentoring or a-mulching;

9) Nine ladies dancing has always been an odd number. This function will be phased out as these individuals grow older and can no longer do the steps;

10) Ten Lords-a-leaping is overkill. The high cost of Lords, plus the expense of international air travel, prompted the Compensation Committee to suggest replacing this group with ten out-of-work congressmen. While leaping ability may be somewhat sacrificed, the savings are significant as we expect an oversupply of unemployed congressmen this year;

11) Eleven pipers piping and twelve drummers drumming is a simple case of the band getting too big. A substitution with a string quartet, a cutback on new music, and no uniforms, will produce savings which will drop right to the bottom line;

Overall we can expect a substantial reduction in assorted people, fowl, animals and related expenses. Though incomplete, studies indicate that stretching deliveries over twelve days is inefficient. If we can drop ship in one day, service levels will be improved.

Regarding the lawsuit filed by the attorney's association seeking expansion to include the legal profession ("thirteen lawyers-a-suing"), a decision is pending.

Deeper cuts may be necessary in the future to remain competitive. Should that happen, the Board will request management to scrutinize the Snow White Division to see if seven dwarfs is the right number.

Happy Holidays all!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Kindle fire spell check 24 2 minutes ago
The time and battery useage icon only appear on the opening screen. 4 19 minutes ago
Micro SD and personal music collection 12 1 hour ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4736 1 hour ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1617 1 hour ago
Kindle and RokuTV 9 1 hour ago
FREE Books & Chat - June 2016 589 1 hour ago
can you convert the percentage to actual pages from book? 14 2 hours ago
using android car charger to charge my kindle 8 2 hours ago
My Kindle Fire is frozen... 48 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2013
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions