Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Pagination?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2011 7:28:43 PM PDT
M. Harrison says:
there seems to be no pagination system so it's hard to get around. Is there any way to paginate?

Posted on May 30, 2011 7:31:22 PM PDT
Miss Carol says:
If you have a K3 with the most current upgrade, there are pages on some of the books. When you're reading, you press menu and it will say something like, "316 out of 427." The book reopens wherever you left it though, why are you needing pages to get around?

Posted on May 30, 2011 7:39:58 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
As Carol mentioned, the latest version of the Kindle with the latest update has a system for page numbers. However, that's really for backwards compatibility with paperbooks (p-books): they tell you to which specific edition of the book it maps. Many e-books have never had a paper edition, so they can't be mapped to paper pages in another edition.

Kindles have used location numbers since the beginning, which are more precise than pages (since they are smaller units).

You can use

Menu-Go to...

to jump to a specific location number.

There are other ways to navigate as well, although some of them are dependent on how the publisher formats the book.

Was there something in particular you wanted to do?

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 8:46:05 PM PDT
M. Harrison says:
I'm new to Kindle (obviously) and I kept hitting the wrong button and getting lost forward or ahead and had no way to get back, except by following the percentage number at the bottom. I don't have any other indicator of where I am, or lets say I got ahead by accident, whether I go back wards page by page or by a larger sum.

I just bought the Kindle and I'm not sure what level of softward I have. I just turned on the wireless but only saw things to buy for reading, nothing about updating software.

I guess I'll find my way around but i'm surprised at the lack of instructions --

Posted on May 30, 2011 8:50:23 PM PDT
A. Sisk says:
ON your kindle there is a manual. It was preloaded when you got it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 8:50:56 PM PDT
Tim W. says:
Try the Kindle 3 support page...there are links for the instruction manual, quick start guide, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200503360

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 8:52:49 PM PDT
@M. Harrison: To help you with instructions, there is a user's guide installed on your Kindle, plus you can download a PDF file with the user's guide at http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_krec_docs?nodeId=200317150 - I keep that on my computer for reference.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 8:52:52 PM PDT
M. Harrison says:
I promise you I am an intelligent person (usually) but didn't take notice of the "HOME" button. Thank you so much. I'm fine now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 9:17:10 PM PDT
Naomi Kramer says:
BACK button is handy too. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 6:15:11 AM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
Welcome to the Klub!

There should be a User's Guide on your Kindle. That's a good resource.

The Back button can be particularly handy...it's a physical button in your bottom right corner of the device. It works a lot better than when you drop a paperbook and lose your place. :)

Also, when in doubt, hit the Menu button. That will give you more choices, and often changes what is on the screen to give you more information.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 6:51:04 AM PDT
I can see where M Harrison is coming from. I read a lot of military books, and some have maps. I would like to be able to "go back" to a map for reference without backing up page by page until I see the map. I worked this out by bookmarking or highlighting where a map was, then I go to the menu to view my bookmarks, click on the one that has the map, and it takes me right to it. Bookmarking and highlighting can be a big help if you need to skip around the book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 9:38:03 AM PDT
Miss Carol says:
And then the back button takes you right back to where you were reading before you started glancing at the maps. It's really nice actually.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 10:02:42 AM PDT
M. Harrison says:
thanks everyone. I love to read instruction manuals but this time I managed not to be able to find it!

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 10:34:33 AM PDT
I realize that M. Harrison has found the users guide but for future confused readers, there should have been a Quick Start guide in the box your Kindle came in. That guide should give you enough information to get started and to find the Users Guide on the Kindle.

Posted on May 31, 2011 10:52:25 AM PDT
Cathy Rex says:
I need page numbers because I am in a book club. Only two of us have Kindles. Everyone else says, "On page so-and-so" and I can never find what they're talking about. It's important to be able to locate notes and quotes by their corresponding page numbers in hard copies if you are in a book club like mine.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2014 3:31:27 PM PDT
The why is simple. When you belong to a book discussion group, and everyone there but you has hard edition of the book, you cannot keep up with the discussion when they are referencing their page numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2014 3:32:55 PM PDT
Yes, keep up with biik discussion group wherein you are the only one with a Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2014 3:42:42 PM PDT
CatChat says:
yes, and keep on resurrecting threads from 2011.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2014 4:18:15 PM PDT
I am interested in a Rick Steve's guide book. The paper version has a detailed index showing a site and the page number in the book. I can't find out if the Kindle version allows you to use the index to get to the site description. Any way to find out without buying the Kindle book?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2014 4:38:10 PM PDT
The Artist says:
Download a sample. The books that I just looked at indicate that they are optimized for larger screens, so you may not even like it in Kindle format at all.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2014 5:11:53 PM PDT
Miss Carol says:
I wrote that three years ago to a new Kindle owner who asked a specific question. I never said I couldn't think of reasons why - I was asking her why SHE (not you) needed the numbers. The more information - the easier to help her with what she was having problems with.

Do you have an actual question about page numbers?

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2014 3:35:43 AM PDT
I downloaded a sample but it doesn't have any index pages. Your point about being optimized for larger screens is certainly something to consider.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2014 3:46:25 AM PDT
The Kindle index would be useless if it just listed the page numbers from the printed book. Ideally the Kindle version should show the location.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2014 4:03:08 AM PDT
You don't even need page numbers for that, only an active Table of Contents

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2014 4:06:27 AM PDT
DittieFurkey says:
An index should be at the back, therefore would not be part of a sample. Are you talking about a table of contents? That would be in the front and the London guide does have active/hot links in the ToC. Some reviews also reference hot links within the Rick Steves e-books.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and $79 Kindle
0 11 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 6122 22 seconds ago
FREE Books & Chat (FB&C) Tues/Wed, 25 & 26 November 2014 49 1 minute ago
Problem delivering personal document 0 3 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 4084 4 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 1714 4 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 4739 6 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 5986 6 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 5022 7 minutes ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 1815 10 minutes ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  May 30, 2011
Latest post:  May 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions