Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

new kindle paperwhite menu all in chinese like language

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 4:50:08 PM PST
This doesn't seem right. Right out of the package from best buy. ALMOST everything is in some other language (chinese or japanese or something). Even all the menu options. I go to menu on the top right and go to the change language area, but that also is in the other language. Something just isn't right here. Any ideas/

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:53:04 PM PST
dfn.ninja says:
Try all the languages until it's right.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:00:12 PM PST
We try everyone and nothing changes everything to English. It's so screwed up. My husband has some instructions he found where it says to hit the 5th line down and then this line down and so on to eventually get to some point where you choose ENGLISH but none of the instructions are working that great. I just don't get why we are doing this right out of the package - isn't it suppose to be in english from the get go.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:02:14 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It was probably shipped to the wrong warehouse. Mistakes do happen. Contact customer support and see if they can talk you through it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:03:41 PM PST
dfn.ninja says:
Yeah that sucks. I don't have the paperwhite so I can't help much. I figured if you could get to the language menu at least one would be right.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:05:59 PM PST
I guess we are going to let it charge. My husband read something about having problems with setup if it's not fully charged. Although it seems like the bar is close to the middle which in this days technology should be decent enough to work. I'm a bit baffled at this point as I have played around with many of computer type of devices and we have been fighting with this language problem all over the screen since we opened the package.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:14:36 PM PST
Somebody says:
I would guess that it was a Paperwhite someone else received and returned because the first thing the PW menu asks you to do when you start it up is to select your language from a list. If the PW wasn't reset, it'd still be operating in the language first selected.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:54:51 PM PST
 Ann says:
Tap the Home icon (top-left)
Tap the Menu icon (top-right)
Tap the next-to-last item on the menu
Tap the 4th item on the page
Tap the last item on the page
Tap the 1st item on the page

You should now see a list of languages. Select the one you want, then tap the OK button (on the right).

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 10:00:59 AM PST
Rosie says:
same problem ...so so frustrating to buy at our local Best Buy and find it in a language we can't read!! Without your help I'd be needing to buy Rosetta Stone just to figure it out. ;) Thanks Ann

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 7:14:25 PM PST
Thank goodness for your instructions or I never would have figured out how to get my Kindle Paperwhite to English!! Thank you Ann!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:37:43 AM PST
Doc-doc says:
less you, Ann!. You/re right on the button. Your straightforward and clear instructions worked perfectly. Thanks so much. (How did you figure this out? Or do yousimply know the language?

Chuck Beychoki

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:48:26 AM PST
P. Stevens says:
Ann!! Please can you help me? I also have chinese on my Kindle Paperwhite but I can't get the top left icon to move me to Home. Nothing happens no matter where I tap. I have ended up on Wifi sign up page and can't get back to anywhere. Do I need to go to my local takeaway for their help!!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:37:36 AM PST
P. Stevens says:
Bingo!! Managed to do it by visiting every blog site i could find dealing with Paperwhite probs.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:42:41 AM PST
You people are blowing this whole thing up into a huge deal. I would have just learned Chinese.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:47:56 AM PST
J. Donahue says:
We may all end up learning Chinese someday.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:51:49 AM PST
P. Stevens says:
@ Phillip - frustrating beyond belief but I am chuffed that I managed to resolve problem without resorting to phoning Amazon. I am a 'mature' techie!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:52:14 AM PST
I already read and write it (three semesters in college). I was joking. ;O)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:15:37 PM PST
P. Stevens says:
@Phillip, I presumed you were joking but take my hat off to you trying to master the language! It was only by holding the power button down for 30 secs I eventually found my way back to a Home page and was able to follow previous instructions. Looking at the detail in the chinese written word, I don't have enough years left to even learn 'hello' or 'thank you' let alone technical stuff!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:18:10 PM PST
Ni-hao is hello and xie xie (pronounced Zhgee-zhgee) is thank you very much. ;O)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:48:12 PM PST
janer says:
Ann, thanks for your help this was driving me insane going round in circles!!!!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:00:54 PM PST
P. Stevens says:
@ Ann - zhgee-zhgee!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 3:39:00 AM PST
Thank you so much Ann!! This really helped :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 6:37:18 PM PST
Perfect....Thanks!

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 3:58:35 AM PDT
AnitaJon says:
Many, many thanks to Ann... you saved my life !!! (well, my Kindle's life :-) )

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2013 7:38:51 AM PDT
It doesn't change language in my Kindle Store. My Kindle Store is still Chinese or Japanese language.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions