Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

2 Kindle Fires, 1 account, I don't want to share books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2012 7:45:45 PM PST
SE Missouri says:
I am setting up 2 kidle fires (one for myself, and one for my daughter) and I don't want her to have access to the books I already have on my kindle account. What exactly is the process for this? I plan to purchase Amazon Prime so we can both stream, if that is the case, I have to have both fires linked to my email address correct? There isn't a way to set up both kindles on 2 separate email address for one amazon prime right? My main concern is I don't want her to have the same content I have. Thanks!!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:16:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 8:21:45 PM PST
The Blade says:
You have a choice. Share an account or do not. If you share an account, then she can stream videos just as you can but she will also have access to your books. If you do not share an account, then she cannot stream videos from your account. Streaming videos is not a capability of a Prime guest. My [Edit: 90 yo] Mom is a guest on my Prime account and can share shipping, but not videos.

That assumes that your daughter is an adult since you are considering a separate account. If she is not an adult, then perhaps placing her on your account and using the Freetime app to restrict what she has access to is a possibility. You can find out more about Freetime here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201014580&qid=1356236157&sr=1-1

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:16:59 AM PST
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 5:31:04 AM PST
You can block wi-fi, but that restricts her device. If you register them to the same account it MEANS sharing content (that's the beauty of it).

You'll have to use Free Time, or open a 2nd Ammy account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:29:17 AM PST
SE Missouri says:
Wow Fud53; intelligent aren't we? I was just asking to verify if there was a way to share all of the benefits of prime without my 8 year old having access to my adult content. Values are very high in our home, and I have much trust instilled in my daughter, but as a parent I just wished to keep the adult items from her grasp rather than allowing them on her kindle. There was no need for you to assume such negative things about those you don't know. Thanks for your wisdom in helping me see the error of my ways! My life is forever changed.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:30:20 AM PST
SE Missouri says:
Thank you for your help Hombre, I am just wanting to educate myself on what options are available to me. You've been very helpful.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:43:14 AM PST
Book Lover says:
SE Missouri - I share a Prime account with my 2 sons, ages 7 and 11. What I do is just make sure the content that I want them to access is downloaded to their device and the content that I don't want them to access stays in the cloud. Then I just showed them that when they want to access something, they need to make sure that they are on the device setting instead of the cloud setting on their Fire. We have quite a few books and games downloaded for them so they rarely ever feel the need to look in the cloud, except sometimes for new games, and then they know they need permission to download anything. They both love to read, but haven't felt the need to look on our cloud library for other books, so for now any adult content is not immediately available to them. The only problem that I have with this method is that (I think) when I purchase a book, it may show up in their picture stream (don't know what else to call it), even though it is not on their device. Fortunately, at this point they really haven't been interested enough to explore and I haven't yet decided that I want to read "Fifty Shades of Gray". ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:43:16 AM PST
~nospin says:
Fud always tries to irritate those new to the forum.

Most of us have him on ignore.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:46:39 AM PST
Debi says:
Fud's the forum troll. Most of us have him on ignore. I hear he actually gives decent advice on occasion, I don't open his posts ever, so it could be a rumor.

I personally would set up a different account.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 9:40:46 AM PST
SE Missouri says:
Thank you all for your help!

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 9:50:50 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 3, 2013 9:51:24 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:02:52 AM PST
michi says:
I have 3 kindle fires for my kids.. problem is downloading purchasing and say "you already own let's create! _____ - please find it in the apps library..." my kid already downloading app. my another kid want same apps but say already.. how can i solve problem with it and kids can downing each same apps purchase. please help me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:09:37 AM PST
On the second fire, turn on the wi-fi. Do a sync. That will put the app(s) under the Cloud tab. Tap on one and it will download. Repeat for each of the apps. Then follow the same process for the third device.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:13:47 AM PST
michi says:
what do i do? do i have 3 accounts on amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:15:43 AM PST
Dittie says:
To start, quit running back and forth to two threads where you haven't bothered to read the replies you've already gotten.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:15:50 AM PST
No, you have all three registered to one account. If they are registered to different accounts, they can't share content.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:19:47 AM PST
michi says:
different emails?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:22:54 AM PST
Dittie says:
You can't have more than one e-mail for the same account, so, no, not different e-mails.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:25:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 10:25:49 AM PST
michi says:
hmm, okay. i will figure it out later.. i will ask my friend to help me which she had 2 kindle fires.. Thank you for your time Discussion. Thank you frozen D. and M. Francis.... (myself not techology person!) :o)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:28:53 AM PST
Dittie says:
Um, I'm sure it's none of my business and I'll be sorry I asked, but why would you come here acting like it's a tragedy of epic proportion not to be answered immediately in two different threads, and then ultimately decide to figure it out later though that means suckering a friend into doing it for you? Why?

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:41:27 AM PST
michi says:
you can ask me any.. I am deaf. my kids are hearing ~ their friends have kindle which are friend. i will ask their's parent to help me how to do.. they r hearing... i am trying to ask you to see if can help me but this kind of i still not understand and have to registered to different accounts (dont know how to do it)..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:47:20 AM PST
Dittie says:
If I'm not mistaken, you've been asking about having only one account, not separate accounts. I sure hope someone can help you sort it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:50:13 AM PST
michi says:
i will let you know if got it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:51:58 AM PST
Dittie says:
Okay, good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:52:03 AM PST
If you want them to share the same apps/books/music, you MUST register them to the SAME account. That's it.

If you want to CONTROL what each kid gets, you use Parental Controls and FreeTime.

If you use TTS, Amazon can walk you through it; just make sure to call during business hours on the West Coast.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
77 11 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
All purchased games are not working, saying they now require wifi access, I don't have a computer! 21 40 seconds ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 6557 43 seconds ago
Bubble Witch Saga 2 7 45 seconds ago
Can you block certain words 595 1 minute ago
Prevent my children from buying books and apps on my fire. 404 1 minute ago
[You are ignoring the customer who started this discussion] 9804 3 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 2831 3 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 1598 6 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1145 7 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions