Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD.....flash support ??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 110 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2012 9:54:13 AM PDT
Did i miss something or is Flash Support missing from the New Fire HD unit ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 10:00:41 AM PDT
Tinker-bella says:
Adobe has discontinued support for all Android and what is referred to as "forked" Android OS (such as that used by the Fire). It is being replaced primarily by HTML 5.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 10:05:09 AM PDT
You didn't miss anything, Richard. No flash support! Incidentally, Google is also not supporting flash in the newest version of Android, Jelly Bean, although it's fairly easy to add it back in. It looks like flash may be going the way of the dinosaur. Now, if the same happens with PDF, I'd be a happy man.

Adobe itself may be going the same way, based on all of the complaints by developers and programmers regarding their high-end enterprise products and services.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 3:01:07 PM PDT
Thanx for your info......hopefully TD Ameritrade will change that requirement.....SOON ! Thanx again...rp.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 3:04:26 PM PDT
Yes on the Google thing.....i found that out after i purchased the Nexus 7......did not open the box....returned it no prob [Staples]. Glad i double chk'd that before opening. I need it to trade on TD Ameritrade.....hopeully THEY will change their requirement...SOON !! Thanx again for your reply......rp.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 7:05:17 PM PDT
R. Thomas says:
so, how do we watch videos online then? comedycentral.com's the daily show for example?

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 7:39:21 PM PDT
iDRMRSR says:
I have a Nexus 7, too, and I got it to play some videos without flash using the Dolphin Browser (maybe release 8.8.1 if you can find it) which allows you to switch your browser's user agent to look like an iPhone to the website. Then it delivers HTML5 video if the site supports it. The other problem is the website senses the screen size of a tablet and is programmed not to deliver video at all (Flash or no!). You'll get a little message where the video should play on the web page that states something like SORRY BUT video is not supported on this device. So it's worse than not just supporting Flash...you can add that back...but you can't cheat on the screen size info sent back to them. I did get the Nexus to log on to the Amazon website and play Prime videos from there by side loading another browser and the Flash APK.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:24:44 PM PDT
OK - no flash. I knew that before purchasing. However, I can play ESPN videos on my wife's iPad, that also does not support flash but, not on the Fire. Why?

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:47:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 9:18:22 PM PDT
jpot says:
Just installed flash on my fire hd through sideloading and though some sites were saying flash isn't compatible for you device those were typically ads and was able to play a tv show with flash and checked out comedycentral.com and was able to watch a clip on the daily show though the quality of the video wasn't all that great though I was on the mobile site so that is probably the reason.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:54:22 PM PDT
Lynn M says:
Go to getjar.com, get dolphin browser and install.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 9:47:01 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Yup. If you're prepared to put up with the absurdly slow Comedy Central website, sideload the Dolphin HD browser from getjar.com. Once installed, go to settings and change the "agent" to "iPad." Works well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 6:45:26 AM PDT
Steve Wiser says:
What is "side loading"? Website pointer if you have one please. I have yet to get a Fire and have ordered a HD but am concern about Flash not showing up.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 6:57:42 AM PDT
ddm3899 says:
is this why I cannot find the scottrade mobile app for my new kindle hd?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 1:12:01 PM PDT
jpot says:
Sideloading is just installing an app without the use of the appstore. Adobe doesn't support mobile flash anymore so this is going to be an issue on most devices.

Sideloading is not very complicated as you just download the app you want on your computer, drag and drop to your kindle fire, on the fire you just need to go to settings an put on for allow installation of applications from unknown sources. Then get a fire explore app from the kindle app store I'm using ES File Explorer For Cupcake as it works for the hd and there you will see the apps you copied over touch the app you want to install and select install and that's about it. For the apps themselves I get them from 1mobile.com which has a lot of free android apps you can download

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 1:20:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2012 1:22:54 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
jpot's instructions are correct, but there are even easier ways....

() On your Kindle KF or KFHD, go to settings and enable installation from "unknown sources." Don't worry about the warning message, just enable it.

() Google Dolphin Browser HD 8.5.1

() Go to the xda-developers.com website that shows up near the top of the google search.

() Download the "APK" file for 8.5.1

() Access Notifications. Find the download. Touch on it to install.

() Now you have the Dolphin Browser that supports Flash.

Easy, peasy.

This same procedure works in a variety of contexts with many websites. The most common sources of apps outside the Amazon Appstore are getjar.com, 1mobile.com, and a few others. Try to stick with the large websites such as these to avoid unpleasant experiences with spam, malfunctioning apps, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 6:57:53 PM PDT
JW says:
The APK file cannot be opened?

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 7:00:56 PM PDT
I got Dolphin HD from GetJar.com. You can download it directly from there and install without sideloading.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 8:07:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2012 8:09:34 PM PDT
TomT says:
I got this to work easier by downloading on the PC, and copying over. Also needed to install Flash 11.1 for Android.
The Fire HD does not really allow you to change the default browser. You change it, but Silk still pops up,
then the new browser opens. Probably should download ES File Explorer from App store, which helps in this process.
I would leave Silk as your default browser, and just launch Dolphin from your apps.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 10:59:29 PM PDT
A. Anaya says:
what if the video you are trying to play shows a blue cube with a question mark? already checked to see if flash is enabled and it is. What could it be??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 11:32:25 PM PDT
ghstbstr says:
That didn't work. Is there another way?

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 12:38:10 AM PDT
but can you play youtube videos on the kindle HD without the flash? just as the kindle comes?

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 6:32:21 AM PDT
TomT says:
Make sure you install Dolphin 8.5.1. The latest version does NOT support flash. A lot of YouTube videos will play w/o flash,
as they're switching over to HTML 5 too.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 8:08:34 AM PDT
I have tried all these suggestions. Nothing is working for me. I don't know if I am even doing it right.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 5:35:04 PM PDT
Thank you so much, I did this and it worked great! I thought I was not going to be able to use my kindle for school.... yey!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 1:24:29 AM PDT
fame1 says:
what did you have to do?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  110
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions