Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Touch - Rotation?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2011 6:03:23 PM PDT
Sandy says:
Do the Kindle Touch or the Kindle Fire have screen rotation like the Kindle 3?

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 7:03:29 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 4:42:06 PM PDT
Q says:
The Kindle Touch does *not* appear to offer screen rotation.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 4:48:23 PM PDT
the Touch, no but the Fire would have and if not it will be unusual seeing it is a standard feature on most Android tablets!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 5:21:33 PM PDT
Q says:
The Fire's photo at the top of any Kindle page shows it in both portrait and landscape mode! So no questions there.

The K Touch is another matter ...

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 6:23:34 PM PST
not that I am overly concerned about screen rotation (I can do without it, if it means having that cool xray feature) but is there any reason why it got taken out on the touch? something to do with the way the screen works?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 9:24:30 PM PST
Q says:
Here is another thread on this question:

"Kindle Touch: Does it do landscape? "
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_ttp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx24YKRGB9TLUH0

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 11:58:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2011 11:59:23 PM PST
From the videos I've seen, the Fire does offer viewing in both portrait and landscape mode, but it looks like the person demonstrating it is adjusting something to switch modes. It doesn't look like it's rotating automatically. So hard to see some things when they're moving fast and not explaining everything - like trying to see how the rabbit got into the hat.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 9:11:53 AM PST
Q says:
Miriam,
The discussion is about if the Kindle Touch will be able to do page rotation, not the Fire.

The Kindle Fire page clearly has 22 photos of the Fire on its side in landscape mode. In demos, the presenter goes several times into landscape mode. There is no question about the Fire doing landscape.

Rather, can the Kindle Touch do landscape, since there is no mention of landscape on the page nor any photo or demo showing it in landscape mode.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 9:16:22 AM PST
Jason Koenig says:
Quatro - the OP asked about both the Touch and the Fire.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 9:21:12 AM PST
I saw a picture that shows how the keyboard takes up more than half the screen in the horizontal mode....wonder if this is true with fire. I think they were showing a playbook.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 9:23:51 AM PST
You get a very short look at the virtual keyboard on the video you can watch on the Fire product page.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 9:37:26 AM PST
Q says:
Yes, the Playbook & Fire have a lot of similarities. Same size virtual keyboard.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 8:47:24 AM PST
I have the Kindle Touch now and it -DESPERATELY- needs the rotation options. The power button placement on the bottom is a problematic design decision, to put it gently. Here are the two use cases that come up all the time where you cannot read: 1) you prop the Kindle up so you can read while you floss/treadmill/chop onions - it rests on the power button and turns itself off; 2) you hold the bottom corner of the Kindle so it doesn't, y'know, slip down and fall - your bracing finger rests on the power button and it turns off.

Soooooo.... you can't hold it or prop it! Ouch. I really hate having to think about how I'm holding my book to read; it breaks my enjoyment of the story. Just let me rotate 180-degrees and put the power back up at the top!

Pretty please, Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 8:49:43 AM PST
I doubt that feature is something that can be added via a firmware update. It would take a change in the hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 8:52:13 AM PST
I was surprised to see that the power switch on the Touch was a push button not a slide like on the K2 and K3. The K3 has it on the bottom but since it's a slide, it doesn't pose a problem when you prop it up to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 8:56:16 AM PST
The button on the Basic is also on the bottom, but it is almost flush with the bottom edge. I just propped it on the bottom edge on a hard table, and pressed a little bit, and the button isn't pushed, so the Kindle stays asleep or awake.

Is the button the Touch that much different?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 8:56:59 AM PST
AmeliaAT says:
That's one of the things I prefer on the K3 -- the slide power switch. It's hard to accidentally turn it off. I'm sure with the Touch, I'd be accidentally turning it off frequently -- as I have actually chopped onions while reading my propped-up Kindle! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 8:58:16 AM PST
I doubt that -- we're not asking for a gyroscopic sensor auto-orienting the page, just the software option to choose which orientation the text is displayed. Should be straight software, says the guy who doesn't have to do the programming.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 8:59:42 AM PST
I thought the lack of landscape mode had to do with the touch function of the screen. Perhaps not?

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 9:00:18 AM PST
Weinerd says:
Using ES file manager to access personally uploaded movies via USB, and using the ES movie player, I can get automatic portrait/landscape viewing just by turing the Fire. However, if I use the Fire's native movie player, it will not auto-rotate, and I can't figure out how to manually do it either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 9:14:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 9:16:06 AM PST
P. M. Peters says:
Scott,
You do realize that any of the available covers would prevent this from happening...and protect your investment at the same time, don't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 9:23:07 AM PST
Regarding using a cover -- I totally get that. But surely it is not Amazon's intent to force everyone to buy a product to fix the product? Or to force everyone to use the Kindle in a single way? I'm not a cover fan, personally, because:

1) Covers don't favor us poor persecuted lefties (don't cry for us -- we're used to abuse, ever since the early days of trying to write over the spiral binding of our school notebooks).
2) I like to protect my device in other (free) ways while it is in transit.
3) At $99, it is a pseudo-disposable device; I don't want to push up its price just to be able to read no-handed.
4) I like my device skinny! I really don't want to thicken up or weight down the delightful little wafer that is the Touch.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 9:49:37 AM PST
AmeliaAT says:
The case I have (and M-Edge) would allow you to put the Kindle in "upside down" so that the left-hand side is on the open edge rather than by the spine of the cover. :-)

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 9:59:54 AM PST
Craig says:
While you can position the Kindle so that it rests on the button, the area that includes the button, connector, and earphone jack sticks out a bit in the back, so you'd have to have it at an almost-vertical angle - I'm playing with my Touch here at work and the angle where the button can be pushed isn't one I'd leave my Kindle propped up at.

While I think that rotation can be added via firmware, it's not going to be as simple as turning it on as it exists on other devices. In addition to the display, the firmware would have to redefine the touch areas on the screen, and redefine how the swipes work based on the chosen orientation. I would think that it's do-able, but not easy.

If you want the feature, please let Amazon know - it probably won't just show up on its own.

-Craig
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 10 days ago
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 10 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Al's Place 35mm 7480 1 minute ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 6791 2 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 2204 5 minutes ago
Kindle DX paperwhite 100 34 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 2814 37 minutes ago
March Informal Poll--What are you reading? 335 48 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat - Monday- March 30, 2015 48 49 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 2960 1 hour ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 2742 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2011
Latest post:  May 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions