Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How do I turn off one click buying?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 64 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2010 11:54:15 AM PDT
I have an iPod touch not a kindle. I am worried it could be stolen and a malicious thief could buy a huge amount of stuff. I want to be able to turn off one-click buying for now. I may go back to it, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to have the option. I can easily turn it off for paper books.

Posted on May 25, 2010 11:58:55 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 25, 2010 12:02:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 12:03:07 PM PDT
Bakari, did you contact Customer Service to request a refund? I've made the same mistake in the past and was able to get a refund with no trouble at all. You normally have seven days to request a refund, but you may still be able to call and get one.

Teresa, you may want to consider having Passcode Lock (under Settings/General) set on your Touch. Not only does this require someone to enter a passcode to access your device, you can set up a wipe option that blanks out your device if a wrong PIN is entered 10 times in a row.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 12:03:03 PM PDT
If it was within 7 days, call Kindle CS and they'll remove it from your archive and refund your money.

Posted on May 25, 2010 12:04:22 PM PDT
you log into your account, go to "change 1-click settings", turn OFF 1-click buying.
not very difficult...

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 12:06:50 PM PDT
quilt lover says:
You weren't robbed. There is a screen that comes up directly after purchase that says something to the effect "Did you purchase this by mistake? Click here." Also, you have 7 days to return a book for any reason.

As far as a thief going on a book buying spree, that is up for debate. I don't know if you can remove the cc that is attached to your 1-click or not, I've never tried it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 12:07:06 PM PDT
Thanks David,

I think I may be just over a wk, but I will try anyway.

Posted on May 25, 2010 12:11:52 PM PDT
Quiltlvr,

I know I wasn't robbed, I made a mistake and I was compensating by playing the victim.
Anyway, in my haste and confusion, I must have missed the question that you referred to,"Did you purchase this by mistake? Click here"

Thanks for the additional info.

Posted on May 25, 2010 12:16:24 PM PDT
Quiltlvr,

I know I wasn't robbed, I made a mistake and I was compensating by playing the victim.
Anyway, in my haste and confusion, I must have missed the question that you referred to,"Did you purchase this by mistake? Click here"

Thanks for the additional info.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 12:26:30 PM PDT
W. Holt
I tried what you suggested and it did it (presumably) for paper books. I just bought a kindle book with a single click, so it did not do so for the kindle setting.

David,
You may be right about the passcode lock on the iPod, but I use it so frequently that it will be a real pain.

Posted on May 25, 2010 12:50:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 12:52:18 PM PDT
Beth Sexton says:
If your iPod is stolen delete your credit card info from the Amazon web site ... both Manage My Kindle and My Account pages.

Posted on May 25, 2010 12:52:04 PM PDT
TerryInTexas says:
Call Kindle CS and discuss this - and email a discussion of your issue to ecr@amazon.com (customer relations). Security in light of theft is going to be more prevalent with Kindle on all the different platforms, and could be considered a design opportunity (or debacle) for Amazon if viewed correctly.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 12:16:53 AM PDT
CPE says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 11:47:47 AM PDT
I just accidentally bought an ebook I thought was free and the did you buy this by mistake popup never appeared it was only 2.53 and I 'll live withit

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 11:49:24 AM PDT
You can call or e-mail Kindle Customer Service and they will remove the book from your account and refund your money. You have 7 days to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 11:56:53 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 11:58:35 AM PDT
Jersey Girl says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 12:00:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2011 12:00:54 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
They probably do a search. Like turn off one click buying or such.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 12:03:01 PM PDT
If you do a search, the older threads seem to come up first.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 12:08:29 PM PDT
Jersey Girl says:
I've never done a search so this I didn't know. Kind of makes me wonder when this forum started. I would like to read the really early Kindle posts just for a laugh or two.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2011 12:19:07 PM PDT
Beth says:
Weird since the first person today who responded did not even have anything to say about 1 click really. Who knows what they were looking for!

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 7:50:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2011 7:51:36 AM PST
I was hoping that the new 6.2.1 software would give an option to stop the 1 click service or some other option to add a pass code like apple to make purchases on the fire. I was sadly dissapointed when I found that Kindles solutions was to add password restrictions to wifi. I want to let my kids watch netflix movies on the Kindle but I don't want them to be able to buy apps.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 12:32:45 PM PST
I have figured out how to turn off 1 click. You have to go into your Amazon account and remove all of your credit cards from your account. I tried every other way and it would not stop 1 click purchases. I am not going to let my 10 year old have unlimited access to buy games from the internet. This issue is more than a little disappointing. Especially because I had to enter my credit card to post this message, I will just have to go back and delete it again. Hopefully Amazon will come up with a solution for this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 12:35:14 PM PST
That doesn't actually work.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 4:01:58 PM PDT
2Dogs1Bowl says:
I have one-click purchasing turned off, which works for everything except mp3s. Those are still one-click and I wish they weren't. I'm bound to make a bad click at some point.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
SwagBucks Thread 2016 396 10 minutes ago
Kindle Paperwhite 2016 soon?? 47 12 minutes ago
Is this united airlines phone number? 800-383-4908 21 22 minutes ago
Conversations with Echo 1309 25 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9727 26 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7728 31 minutes ago
Can you make a phone call with kindle? 85 35 minutes ago
Migraines and Kindle Paperwhite 14 42 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1710 43 minutes ago
Kindle Unlimited 17 45 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  64
Initial post:  May 25, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 26, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions