Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Search inside a book using Kindle for Windows 8 app

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 17, 2013 6:55:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2014 10:25:51 AM PDT
I see how to search for a book in the store. I can search for words inside a book using Kindle for PC (Win 7). But I cannot find a way to search for words inside a book using the Windows 8 app? Is there a way? If not, will it be coming (soon)?

Update: Search capability is now available in the Windows Store app, I think back in June 2013.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 7:55:29 AM PST
I'm very much interested in this too. I used search within book feature all the time on my Kindle Paperwhite device. I definitely vote that this be the next feature added.

Posted on May 12, 2013 8:33:37 PM PDT
S. Hernan says:
The lack of an ability to search inside a book in the Windows 8 app is very disappointing. Amazon needs to remedy this very quickly.

Posted on May 22, 2013 6:23:09 PM PDT
Ken says:
Let me join in the chorus of people who badly miss in the Windows 8 app both the ability to SEARCH for words in the text of a book and to cut and paste. I write a literature blog and frequently want to seearch and to quote from a book. Before Windows 8 I could do both. I'd love for an Amazon person to respond to these emails with assurances that those two features will be added.

Posted on May 24, 2013 5:23:49 PM PDT
Sinime says:
Amazon, you there?

Need to add search option to the Windows 8 Kindle app!

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 10:30:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2014 6:04:46 AM PDT
I would like this capability for the Win 8 app too. What's up with that, Amazon?? Cobbling or neglecting apps that don't run on your hardware may be a strategy being employed here, but I've bought your books specifically to be able to read across various devices, regardless of manufacturer, and you have touted this capability in the past, and are touting it again in my kindle ads. Just fyi, I own two Kindle readers, but also own iPads, laptops, and an iPhone too. In this instance my win 8 laptop serves as my handiest active research/note taking tool, and this is when I'd like to do keyword searches in my kindle books to assist me. Given you know how to do this across other OS environments (and let's face it, this is not a weird, difficult request), what exactly makes this undoable? I am slowly becoming a dissatisfied Amazon customer...

update 3/31/14: This was fixed shortly after my initial post. Thank you Amazon -- a little belated!

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 8:31:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2013 8:03:08 PM PST
I have come to realize that Amazon doesn't care about what matters to me, they only care about me giving them my money. This is evidenced in multiple ways. This retarded lack of a search feature is inexcusable. I can't imagine why they have left it out of this app and would love to hear their excuse, but I'm pretty sure they're just goig to continue to ignore us because they don't care about what matters to us, they only care about us giving them our money. Another evidence is the fact that we can't custom sort our books we've bought from them. Oh woopdy-do that we can sort by title, author, or last read. If I'm a model customer and I have purchased fifty or more books, do you really think I'm impressed that you give me three sort options? How many sort options do you have on your bookshelf in your living room? You know why they don't bother to invest in the ability to custom sort your books? I don't, but I'll venture a guess. It's the same reason they have a link to store there. It's the same reason that the "search" feature only searches book titles (especially those in the store). They don't _care_ about the books I've already bought. They only care about me buying more. This is deeply insulting and I wish I could say I'll just switch to B&N or Sony, but that's a complicated thing and I'm sure you're sick of reading me by now. Someone please prove me wrong, it'd make my day.

(Edit: shortly after this post I am happy to say that Amazon fixed this problem. Good for them. Thanks Amazon!)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2014 4:49:24 PM PDT
Control F

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 6:04:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2014 6:04:46 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
On my Surface Pro, if I swipe up from the bottom to bring up the menu. another menu with a search box also drops down from the top.

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 12:11:59 AM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Bump
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 31, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions