Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Does the kindle app for ipad have text to speech?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2012 9:48:44 PM PDT
Does the kindle app for ipad have text to speech?

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:50:11 PM PDT
Artist says:
No, none of the apps have TTS (including the app on the Kindle Fire).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 9:51:08 PM PDT
No, it does not. As far as I know, none of the Kindle apps have TTS. They are given away for free, and Amazon does not want to have to pay the TTS licence fee to the developer company, Nuance.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 9:58:31 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
Ok, this is a bit OT, sorry for that. As much as I don't mind that the apps don't have text to speech, as Blaiz has pointed out, it isn't available on the Fire, either, and it is true that Amazon gets $199 for every Fire sold. It may or may not cover their costs...

I'd actually prefer that they put effort into providing the Kindle Fire with page numbers, which is now available on *all other apps.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:14:41 PM PDT
Really? I have a Kindle Fire, Kindle Keyboard, the new iPad and use Kindle for PC and the only one showing page numbers, and not all the time (depends on the book) is the Kindle Keyboard. All the others just show location and percentage.

There is a workaround for TTS on the Fire but only seems to work with non DRM'd books. Bufo Calvin mentioned it in one of his blogs "Love My Kindle." If Bufo is around, he might enlighten us.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:14:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 10:18:15 PM PDT
@M. Ratcheson: Thank you for your feedback. If you want to be certain that someone from Amazon hears your feedback, please send an email to kindle-feedback@amazon.com - we are mainly Kindle owners here, not from Amazon. Or you can use the Fire's built in feedback option to tell Amazon. Go to the top where the settings are, click on More and the first item in the list is Help & Feedback. Then the feedback form is the 3rd tab.

Edit: Are you sure that all other apps have page numbers. I can't find it on my K4Android app.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:28:52 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
Well, it was reported here that the last Kindle for Android did introduce page numbers. I only have access to iOS and actual Kindle devices. Is this not true?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:30:41 PM PDT
@M. Ratcheson: I was just asking the question. Page numbers might not be available for any of my ebooks on the Android tablet that I have.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:30:50 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
I'm confused by why you don't see page numbers for your Kindle for PC or Kindle for iPad/iPhone? I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:31:39 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
Yes, that would explain it.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 10:36:05 PM PDT
Artist says:
Not all books are coded for page numbering, so even if you have a device that supports it, you may not see page numbers. Very few of the books I read display page numbers, and I have a KK, which does support page numbering. The publisher has to code the books, not Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:42:47 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
There needs to be an .apnx file for the book, and support for it in the software. And so far as I've been able to determine, only the Fire can't do it.

Owell, it'll be here eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:44:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 10:45:55 PM PDT
I stand corrected -- before I wrote that I checked five books on my iPad and three on my kindle PC -- no page numbers. However, I checked a few more and found a couple with page numbers. I guess it is so unuseful for me personally I never made a conscious effort to note it.

Since we're on a binge to gripe about the little stuff -- it would be nicer if the iPad Kindle ap had more fonts to choose from -- I'm not a fan of serif fonts and the ap only give one choice and that is a serif font. The iBooks OS ap on the iPad is the most elegant reading ap out there -- they have something like six fonts to choose from and handle the Wikipedia/dictionary lookups beautifully. Amazon took out Wikipedia from the last Apple device update.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:52:21 PM PDT
Artist says:
When Amazon removes a feature from the Apple apps, it's because Apple has demanded that they remove it (or in the case of purchasing books directly from the app, demanding payment). Apple does not want to make it easy for you to buy or enjoy books from any place other than iBooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:55:28 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
I don't think there are any books you can buy in Kindle format, that aren't available on iBooks. I would suggest you buy your books from iBooks. Of course, you won't be allowed to read them on your Mac....or your PC, or any other device you might want to use.

Best wishes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 1:01:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 1:05:37 AM PDT
Wish I could and wish it did. The reason why I have so many different reading devices -- amazon does have a lock on the "read everywhere" mantra. But since this is a thread about "nitpicks" I simply pointed out that iBooks has a more elegant interface than amazon has on the new iPad -- and yes, I've found myself buying some things from the iTunes newstand because the magazines had more built-in interaction and were cheaper (National Geographic comes to mind). And with the new retina display the type, pictures and display are absolutely stunning.

I guess if enough people complain as you're doing about page numbers, amazon might make some improvements.

One thing I have not done is to side load via calibra into my Fire. I know when I do this I can get page numbers on my kindle keyboard via Calibra's algorithm plug-in. Have you tried doing that?

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 1:07:44 AM PDT
Artist says:
As I wrote, Amazon is not responsible for books being coded for page numbering. The publishers are, and Amazon does not have control over publishers of e-books, despite the fact that people think they do. Google "Agency Model" if you don't believe that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 7:52:17 AM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
No, I haven't tried it. I assumed that what the Calibre plug-in does is produce an .apnx file. And the Fire doesn't recognize an .apnx file. Am I mistaken about how it works? Thanks.

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 4:28:01 PM PDT
QuitaBoo says:
So the text to speech application only works on the Kindle Fire HD? Do they plan to expand to the google app store so that we can get more apps?

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 2:43:38 PM PST
Kindle keyboard has tts (text to speech). If Kindle Fire HD reads to you is the reading improved?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 6371 57 seconds ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 2890 1 minute ago
Does Amazon WANT people to use iBooks??? 96 2 minutes ago
ECHO's of Friendship 993 4 minutes ago
Kindle Fire capabilities in Europe 1 9 minutes ago
Using an adapter and UBS cord from previous kindle 1 11 minutes ago
How do I stop the pop ups on the Amazon web sight? 3 12 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Thursday March 5, 2015 36 16 minutes ago
Sample books suddenly show up on HDX carousel?? 3 16 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 7594 19 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Apr 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions