Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

My kindle has just stopped working with no warning can anybody help me?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2013 2:08:00 AM PDT
Miss Spencer says:
My kindle worked perfectly for the past 18 months, no problems always charged and reset it often, but i put it on charge last night and left it upstairs, i went up after about two and a half hours and the orange light was still on, i thought it was strange so i picked it up and it was red hot, i unplugged it but the light stayed on, and when i pressed the lock button nothing happened. i left it overnight and this morning everytime i press the button the green light comes on but nothing else happens and the picture stays on the screen, i plugged it into my computer and nothing happens, my computer doesn't even recognise it. what has happened and how do i fix it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2013 2:31:52 AM PDT
Miss Spencer - Try rebooting it following these instructions. If that doesn't resolve your issue, contact customer support.

Since you do not specify which Kindle you have, here are instructions for rebooting most models:

For the Fire:
Unplug the Fire.
Hold the power button in for a full 30 seconds (count them).
Press the power button again to turn it back on.
The "kindle fire" screen will appear for a couple of minutes while it's coming back on.

For e-ink Kindles:
For 2nd Generation, Keyboard Kindle, Basic $69 Kindle, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
and Kindle DX:
Unplug the Kindle.
Slide the power switch over (or press the power button) for a full 30 seconds (count them).
PUT IT DOWN AND DON'T TOUCH IT. It may take a few minutes to reboot.
Then turn on wireless and your books and Collections will repopulate.

TO CONTACT KINDLE CUSTOMER SERVICE:
Click on this link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html
You may have to sign in. I recommend you use the PHONE or CHAT options.
Do NOT use e-Mail.
CALL ME under the PHONE tab is great if available.
They will call you within minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 8:20:46 PM PDT
Melo says:
Thank you, thank you! I have an e-ink Kindle and the advice worked like a charm!

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 3:22:25 PM PDT
Karen says:
Thank you, I had same problem and this solved it

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 1:20:28 PM PDT
Me too. Thanks Cleve

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2013 1:27:13 PM PDT
Mike says:
Miss Spencer, even if rebooting helps, you said that it was red hot. I suggest that you watch it very carefully, and not leave it alone while charging. Better yet, talk with Amazon customer service. Red hot ain't good.

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 1:27:49 PM PDT
You're all welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2013 4:31:33 AM PST
My son's kindle just went blank and I followed these instructions and problem resolved. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 9:33:15 AM PST
I just had this same issue !

I found that a lot of times, free apps will cause a lot of issues with WIFI and start and shut down issues. Sometimes free apps will cause havoc on kindles and the only solution is to uninstall it. If you all of a sudden start having problems, the best solution is uninstall the last app that was installed to see if that fixes the problems. Many app's will slow down the Kindle and make it crawl or screw up the WIFI The best solution is to have more then one antivirus that checks the app after it installs.

Another solution is to back up all your data and apps and then do a reset to factory settings which would clear out the problem. A lot of time ,a Kindle App will not be fully compatible with the hardware and will cause problems. It appears that the app software may have not been fully tested and have functions that just not compatible with your Kindle. You real have to watch before you install apps on Kindle's . Most games will work fine, but will malfunction if they are connected to the Facebook API. Any app that deal's with maintenance or performance enhancements with your Kindle should be installed with caution

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2013 10:03:18 PM PST
M. Katz says:
Thank you. Reboot worked for me too!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2013 9:43:22 AM PST
eddy says:
many many thanks. would not have had a clue to do that. thank you. up and running again

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2013 9:47:55 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2013 10:18:13 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
Some people prefer to ask the "Kindle Community". In this case, although I do not know that the original poster ever benefited from the advice given, several others did by just searching the forum so that several calls to CS were avoided.

If others are willing to give the advice what's it to you?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2013 10:19:28 AM PST
Not to mention the fact that hands-on users often find and/or solve issues themselves before the rank-and-file CS reps ever hear about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2014 9:42:50 AM PST
I have a basic kindle and its 2 years old. It froze up when I was reading and wouldn't turn pages or anything. I turned it off and when I turned it on it was only a white screen. I plugged it in to recharge and it didn't help. It will turn on and give me a green light but the screen is still blank. What can I do?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2014 9:49:41 AM PST
Did you do a re-boot? Just turning it off and on won't work. Press the power button in and hold it for 30 seconds (time it). Release it and leave it alone for a few minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2014 1:09:37 PM PST
L. Fry says:
Mine had done the same thing yet didn't get hot. Rebooted and works fine. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2014 6:39:51 PM PST
Maryann Z says thanks so much for your advice, my Kindle is up and running again!

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 4:53:08 PM PST
Lori Nunke says:
Hi, my Kindle just quit working also. I did what you said and it came up (thank you so much) is there something i did that caused it. I don't turn it off very often i just close the cover, could that be it. Thank you so much I really like my kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2014 5:04:36 PM PST
You probably did nothing wrong. Remember, Kindles are like any other computer - they occasionally need a re-boot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2014 5:52:26 PM PST
You have hold the power button for 30 seconds to reset. I would try another 5 volt charger like from your smart phone to see if the unit that comes with the Kindle is bad. I know from experience that the contacts go bad, in the plug that goes into the Kindle. So in other-wards , the battery might have died and can't be charged unit you replaced the charger. They go for about $20 on Amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 5:24:53 AM PST
Lisa says:
I have a Kindle Keyboard which appeared to 'die' I followed your instructions and they worked!! Thank you so much

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 1:59:25 AM PST
Penny Jay says:
Hello, I tried the above but unfortunately my Kindle is still not working. Half of the screen is white and half with black lines. Do you have any other suggestion? The Kindle is 2 and half years old...
It was working perfectly until yesterday...

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2014 2:13:36 AM PST
From your description, Penny, it appears that the screen has broken. It could be just an electronic failure or caused by physical force (pressure or torque).

I would contact Kindle support. There is no charge, even if your device is out of warranty. If they can't reset it, they often will offer you a replacement at a reduced cost. Click on help at the top or bottom of any Amazon page. Click on the Contact Us button on the right side. Answer the questions and the correct contact info is shown. I suggest using the phone for quickest response.

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 2:49:58 AM PST
i have the same issue with my kindle except it says this application cannot be used.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2013
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions