Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

US vs Canadian Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2013 7:31:09 PM PDT
Hi I'm from NWT Canada and want to buy the kindle paperwhite and have a couple questions

1) Are there more books in the US version?
2) If I buy a US version 3G model will it work in the NWT in Canada?

Thanks

Matt

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 8:27:45 PM PDT
Hazel says:
The kindle itself is just a kindle.

I buy my books on the US site because I like using the forums to find links to free books. I think there is more variety on the US site but you'd have to ask a more seasoned veteran :)

I think you can sign up to whichever site you want to. Go check out the kindle book shopping on both sites before you decide.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2013 8:52:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2013 10:21:54 AM PDT
The device itself will work in the NWT, but I think in Canada now we have to buy the device from amazon.ca. However, you can choose whether to purchase content from either the .ca or the .com site. Certain books may only be available on one site or the other, depending on copyright and publishing issues. Sometimes the price from the US site is higher for Canadians. I'd encourage you to compare the types of books that you are likely to be purchasing on each site and compare the pricing differences.
ETA for missing word

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2013 11:21:59 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
if your country is set to Canada and you're registered to http://amazon.com, you'll likely just see the same set of books and the prices will be in USD as compared to the prices on amazon.ca which are in Canadian dollars

I see pretty much the same books on amazon.fr and amazon;com with my country set to France and the prices are close to the same depending on the exchange rate

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2013 12:16:13 AM PDT
Also, even if you buy the kindle from the Canadian site you can register it to the US site. If it comes already linked to your account you can simply unlink it, or when purchasing it you can select "this is a gift" and it won't be linked to your account.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jul 18, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions