Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat: Wednesday Dec. 11, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 155 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2013 8:30:41 PM PST
Robb says:
♥.Good Morning ♥. Good Afternoon, ♥.or Good Evening

Namaste

My soul honors your soul. I honor the place in you where the entire universe resides. I honor the light, love, truth,beauty & peace within you, because it is also within me. In sharing these things we are united, we are the same,we are one.

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 8:31:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2013 8:36:04 AM PST
Robb says:
.¸¸.*¨*♫♪ .¸¸.*¨*♫♪ .¸¸.*¨*♫♪ .¸¸.*¨*♫♪ .¸¸.*¨*♫♪ .¸¸.*¨*♫♪ .¸¸.*¨*♫♪ .¸¸.*¨*♫♪

Some FB&C information . . .

·*¨) ¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨*
(¸.*´ ¸.·´*' ~* ♪ ♫ ♪ Links To Free Book Resources:

dailyfreebooks.com

http://ereaderiq.com/freebies/

www.eReaderPerks.com

freereadfeed.com

http://www.heidoc.net/amazon/subscribe.php?department=MYSTHR&sort=TITLE&newtitles=on&GO=GO

http://us.kinlib.com

http://uk.kinlib.com

~~~~~~~~~ SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS ~~~~~~~~~
Self promotion violates Amazon's Terms of Service. Please do
not post your books or links to your books on FREE Books & Chat.
~~~~~~~~ THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES! ~~~~~~~~

·*¨) ¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨*
(¸.*´ ¸.·´*' ~* ♪ ♫ ♪ FB&C Start Schedule:

★☆★ FB&C Start Schedule . . .

DonnaBeeGoldenRings - Thursday, December 12 Start Time midnight MST
Lover of Books - Friday, December 13 Start Time: 10:30pm PDT
Susan - Saturday, December 14 Start time 12pm-7am ET
Kajola - Sunday, December 15 Start time 11pm-1am ET
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, December 17 Start time around midnight PDST
Robb - Wednesday, December 18 Start Time: 10pm PT
Lover of Books - Friday, December 20 Start Time: 10:30pm PDT
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, December 24 Start time around midnight PDST
Lover of Books - Friday, December 27 Start Time: 10:30pm PDT
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, December 31 Start time around midnight PDST

⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ WE ARE IN NEED OF NEW THREAD STARTERS⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰

Open Dates:

Monday, December 16
Thursday, December 19
Saturday, December 21
Sunday, December 22
Monday, December 23
Wednesday, December 25
Thursday, December 26
Saturday, December 28
Sunday, December 29
Monday, December 30
Tuesday, December 31

⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***

Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.

************** We'll help you through it! **************

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

♪ ♫ ♪ FB&C Group Cookbook thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

♪ ♫ ♪ Birthday & Anniversary List, Bio's and other important FB&C information:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?usp=sharing

Our book for the next book discussion is

Firefly Beach by Meira Pentermann

When Beth LaMonte rents a cottage on the coast of Maine, she wishes only to withdraw and paint. A mysterious ball of light disturbs her peace and leads her to a secret beach where she finds the diary of a girl who disappeared in 1975. Now Beth is on a mission, not only to bury her own past, but to put to rest the spirit of Firefly Beach.

Looking forward to our first book discussion of 2014!

A good book can take you anywhere, anytime.. Ann Key

♪ ♫ ♪ Yesterday's Thread:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx3GDZRI2C536KF

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 8:31:32 PM PST
Robb says:
. . . . . .╰☆╮ Ponder of the Day╰☆╮ . . . . . .

"Good Morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.

"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 8:31:55 PM PST
Robb says:
The first reviews for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug have surfaced. The early reviews of the film seem to be mixed with the film currently holding a 64% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Some critics are finding The Desolation of Smaug to be a huge improvement over the first Hobbit movie, while other critics appear to be disappointed with The Hobbit franchise completely. Here is a round-up of some of the early reviews.

According to TheWrap, "The Desolation of Smaug" not only surpasses its predecessor but also stands on its own; where "Journey" took material audiences thought they knew and made it feel foreign, this one creates a uniquely original experience that also feels securely familiar."

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Nearly everything about "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" represents an improvement over the first installment of Peter Jackson's three-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved creation."

According to Variety, "After a bumpy beginning with `An Unexpected Journey,' Peter Jackson's `Hobbit' trilogy finds its footing in this much more exciting and purposeful second chapter."

According to IGN, "If you were disappointed with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey then The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the film you've been waiting for. It's a breathlessly told, action-packed crowd-pleaser that restores the luster of the saga for those underwhelmed by its predecessor and leaves you excited for the final chapter in the trilogy."

According to Slant Magazine, "A once-precious franchise's weakest installment, which forgets these adventures' magic was never conjured by bells and whistles."

According to the Telegraph, "The second leg of Peter Jackson's three-part adaptation of The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkien, is mostly stalling for time: two or three truly great sequences tangled up in long beards and longer pit-stops."

According to The Playlist, "The truth is, audiences are going to approve of this sequel. It's entertaining, it's engaging and it's got thrills, but all at the expense and to the detriment of what stories, narrative and filmmaking should be about."

According to The Guardian, "It's mysterious and strange and yet Jackson also effortlessly conjures up that genial quality that distinguishes The Hobbit from the more solemn Rings stories."

According to Empire Magazine, "Middle-earth's got its mojo back. A huge improvement on the previous installment, this takes our adventurers into uncharted territory and delivers spectacle by the ton. And in case you were wondering, yes, someone manages to say the title as dialogue."

According to ScreenCrush, "I can't fully dismiss any movie with a giant talking dragon, but I must confess that I found the last film superior. And I didn't even like that one that much."

According to Topless Robot, "As a fragmentary middle piece of something, it isn't complete unto itself, which makes final judgment hard. With that in mind, it is very fun to look at, especially in 3D."

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug premieres in movie theaters in the United States on December 13, 2013.

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 8:32:14 PM PST
Robb says:
Why, yes, I do have IMAX tickets for Friday.

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 8:32:37 PM PST
Robb says:
Make it safe for your cat to be curious (and playful)

Cats love to climb all over their home, so move anything breakable or harmful securely out of their reach.

Curiosity and playfulness are part of your cat's charm, but they can sometimes get her into trouble. Take these steps to make your home a safe environment.

1. Beware of poisonous plants
Cats like to chew on grass and plants inside and outdoors. But you'd be surprised by the number of plants that are irritating, dangerous, and even deadly to cats if eaten. Even non-poisonous plants can cause vomiting and diarrhea.

Keep dangerous plants out of reach or, better yet, don't have them in the house at all. If your cat likes green stuff, purchase or grow your own cat grass.
Learn what plants are dangerous to pets »

2. Lock up cleaning supplies
Put child-proof latches on your cabinets to keep your cat from licking, chewing, or eating cleaning products. They contain dangerous chemicals. (And if you'd rather not have your cat investigate your pots and pans, you may want to put latches on other cabinets, too.)

3. Be mindful of medicines
Keep all medications, both over-the-counter and prescription (human and animal), in a secure cabinet. Child-proof containers aren't necessarily chew-proof. Be sure to pick up any dropped pills.

4. Safely stow fragile treasures
Pack away (or find a secure way of displaying) breakable objects. Cats love exploring their space, and they will jump on tables, cabinets, sideboards, and bookshelves. They may accidentally knock over and break fragile items, then walk or chew on the broken pieces.
Learn how to keep your cat from jumping on furniture http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/cat_problem_solver/home.html#tab-1

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 8:33:24 PM PST
Robb says:
5. Unplug your home
Unplug electrical cords when they aren't in use. If your cat's a chewer, she could be in for a nasty shock. You could also deter her from chewing on cords by placing them in a cord protector or coating them with a bad-tasting substance such as hot sauce or a non-toxic ointment or spray available at pet supply stores.
Learn how to stop your cat from chewing cords »
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/cat_problem_solver/home.html#tab-3

6. Tie a knot in cords
Keep drapery and blind cords coiled out of reach. Your cat could strangle herself by getting the cord wound around her neck or choke on a plastic pull that she's chewed into pieces.

7. Check the dryer (and other places)
Look inside the dryer before closing the door, and keep it closed when not in use. Cats love to hole up in dark, quiet places, which can be a recipe for a tragedy. Kittens often climb into refrigerators, freezers, and dresser drawers, so check these, too, before closing them.

8. Unset the table
Remove tablecloths from tables unless you are about to use them. New kittens who are curious about what's up there on the table will try to climb the tablecloth. The result could be broken china and crystal-and an emergency trip to the veterinarian.

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 8:33:44 PM PST
Robb says:
9. Put a lid on the toilet
Keep the toilet seats down. A kitten could fall in and be unable to get out.

10. Keep disposal switches under cover
Cover garbage disposal switches. Natural climbers, cats usually find their way to the kitchen sink sooner or later. Many have been known to play with electric switches such as the one for a garbage disposal. Special covers are available at hardware stores to help avoid disaster.

11. Secure your screens
Make sure your screen door and window screens have secure, sturdy latches. Don't run the risk that your cat could slip out unnoticed.

12. Clip those claws
Indoor cats don't wear down their claws as quickly as outdoors ones do, so they can overgrow. Untrimmed claws can grow into a cat's paw pads, leading to infection, pain, and difficulty walking and using the litter box. Declawing is never a good option for a cat. Check your cat's claws every couple of weeks to see if they need to be clipped.
Learn how to trim your cat's claws »
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/trimming_cat_claws.html

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 8:34:04 PM PST
Robb says:
I will be in and out today.
Enjoy

namaste
Robin

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 8:53:27 PM PST
Thank you for the start, Robb.
No poisonous plants, limited toxic cleaning products (probably bad to admit), medicine under control in upper cabinet, fragile treasures are already stowed due to dog, humans are currently learning about electrical cords, blind cords already tied up due to dog, hopefully after being pinched already by fridge door kitty is learning too, no tablecloth because I spill too much, toilet lids down and doors closed too, screen door has screen on upper portion only due to dog, kitty participated in her second manicure earlier tonight already. I'll give myself a passing grade so far :)

We are going to go see The Book Thief on Wednesday night. DH has already reserved The Hobbit for Christmas break.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 9:13:26 PM PST
Robb says:
Sounds like a passing grade. Good to hear. Good to get them used to manicures and baths at an early age.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 9:29:12 PM PST
It really cracked me up tonight when the kitten tried to play attack my daughter's feet, and my daughter leapt over the kitten and jumped up on the couch to escape. I guess some people really are dog people.

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 9:47:47 PM PST
Robb says:
She had best get used to it. Kittens love to attack feet, toes, fingers under blankets.

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 9:57:55 PM PST
Sally in SA says:
Good morning Robb, and by that I am wishing you a good morning.

Thank you for the start. Love the kitten advice. I wish I'd had it when I first got my kitten.

Hi Donna, you seem to be enjoying little Luna. Where is she sleeping? I hope that by not having her sleep on your bed, your allergy symptoms are improving. I'm still living on antihistamines with my cat sleeping on my bed!
I looked to see whether I could get "The Book Thief" on audio, but it doesn't seem to be available. I have credits which I thought I would use, hate to spend money on a book now days:)

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 9:59:48 PM PST
redandwhite says:
Good morning Robb (in all senses of the phrase)
Thank you for doing the start for us.
I think that Rudi-puss must not have mis-understood certain things about being a kitten - never chewed an electrical wire in his life, and I had never considered that he might do that, stupid of me I suppose but I always have cat-play-things on the floor, I have found that the screw caps from milk cartons are always a real hit together with a toilet roll carton and a metal beer bottle cap, and tin foil rolled into a ball, I have bought various expensive toys for him, but he always reverts to these cheap and readily available substitutes which litter my floors constantly, ready to be attacked whenever they may take his fancy.
Ooh and the best thing ever is a brown paper bag, they rustle and one can hide/sleep in them too

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 10:02:33 PM PST
Leo Little says:
thanks for the start Robb and while i'm at it a great big thank you to Sandy for picking up my start on Monday and to al for just being there
Leo

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 10:06:01 PM PST
Hi Sally. I'm not sure where she is sleeping, I just know that it isn't in my room. I think she's doing OK, and maybe absence makes the heart grow fonder, as she is glad to see me when I get up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 10:06:18 PM PST
redandwhite says:
Hi Leo
I do hope that you are getting better - very positive that the wifi is working, and good to have you stopping by here.
Any ideas on when you can go home ?
What are you reading ?

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 10:07:47 PM PST
Speaking of sleeping, I think that is where I am off to. See you all in the morning. Leo, I hope the nurses are nice to you and let you rest tonight.

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 10:10:00 PM PST
Robb says:
Cardboard boxes and paper bags and shoe strings - why would anyone buy expensive toys????

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 10:10:10 PM PST
redandwhite says:
Hi to Donna and Sally
Can't imagine having the cat allergies that you folks have :-(

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 10:10:34 PM PST
Sally in SA says:
Morning Red.

Hi Leo, hope you are well on your way to recovering and will be going home soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 10:20:18 PM PST
Leo Little says:
I'm reading NOT FREE The Blood Gospel (Blood Gospel Book I) NOT FREE

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 10:28:33 PM PST
Red, I suspect in part it is because I never had pets as a child, so maybe my system never became accustomed. I am holding onto the fact that I was able to tolerate one cat fairly well, so I need to be patient, and smart. As hubby said, don't show the kitty love by sleeping with it, and aggravating the allergies. Love the cat by setting boundaries so that you can keep it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 10:31:13 PM PST
redandwhite says:
@ Donna
Hubby seems to be full of really good advice.
Hope you sleep well, cat and sneeze free of course ;-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAoK #78 and still going! 6289 1 minute ago
is there an app for that? 3555 1 minute ago
WPS 6 1 minute ago
Free Books and Chat - Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014 107 3 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs Sept 17 & 18, 2014 132 4 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage .. the return of.. wait for it... page turn buttons 179 5 minutes ago
Can you turn off touch? 22 5 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 2928 6 minutes ago
Who is getting what new device? 14 7 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  155
Initial post:  Dec 10, 2013
Latest post:  Dec 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions