Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

May 2014 Informal Poll - What are you reading?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 277 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2014 4:16:25 AM PDT
J. W. Scales says:
I've taken the liberty of copying Michael's post that started this great discussion group so many of us enjoy:

"Here's how this works - list a book you are currently reading or just recently read on your Kindle (insert the product link using the little button above the text box in the discussion forum so others can find it), whether you would recommend it, did you get it free, and anything else you would care to share.

And here's my standard continuation of each month's request for prior participants in the poll: if you like or dislike a title you have read, in addition to telling us about it in this informal poll, how about writing a book review on the Amazon website? The review will certainly last and be visible a lot longer than this poll will. If you're like me, you look at the customer reviews in order to see if you want to investigate a book further. Since we are all a little community here, and while I realize each review is each person's opinion and we may not like the same thing, I know your friends and online discussion neighbors would appreciate your honest assessment of the likes and dislikes without providing a spoiler - I know I would! Your reviews don't need to be a long dissertation of the book, I like to keep them short, sweet, and (hopefully) to the point.

Anyway, that's all for now..."

And thanks to Michael for starting this thread almost every month, Charlene who started November, and lonbeehold who has started January, Patsy who started March and April and for all the posters who take the time to share what they are reading. I know I have found many an enjoyable book from this thread.

John

Posted on May 1, 2014 5:01:04 AM PDT
loriltx says:
Just finished the second Odd Thomas novel Forever Odd: An Odd Thomas Novel after having read the first one Odd Thomas: An Odd Thomas Novela month ago. This series is a little quirky. The main characters are very likeable and there is some great humor dispersed throughout, especially the humor interjected during the apex of a crisis, that had be bursting out laughing. I look forward to continuing the series.

Posted on May 1, 2014 6:27:22 AM PDT
By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain is a short story by Joe Hill that I read yesterday. I've read his work before and loved it, most especially NOS4A2. This short disappointed me because it didn't feel complete. :(

I'm now reading Deadlift, which is a novella that a friend is making me read because he loved it so much. I'm also starting Strangers with my Shelfari group.
And lastly, I'm listening to Invisible Monsters: A Novel. I haven't listened to very many audio books, so I hope I like this one, which was available through my local library.

Posted on May 1, 2014 7:50:28 AM PDT
In need of new epic fantasy, I am trying A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One . I am loving the story, like the characters, love that it's yet another writer who doesn't limit himself to 400 pages. I am slightly miffed that I didn't first check that the series is finished. Somehow I assumed that given the existence of a TV show, the series would be done, but alas. Hopefully these books come out quicker than Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance series...

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 8:03:19 AM PDT
Willow3§3 says:
Alas, at the rate things are going, he may never finish this series. Enjoy it though. It's a nice, meaty read.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 11:45:38 AM PDT
Tis true! I read in an interview with GRRM, that HBO does know the direction and ending that he has in mind for the series, just in case something happens to him before the series is complete.

Posted on May 1, 2014 12:21:10 PM PDT
❤ Ann says:
I just finished The Firebird late last night. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it quite as much as The Winter Sea.

Posted on May 1, 2014 12:35:19 PM PDT
mike mathai says:
I am reading I Am Livia about the wife of Caesar Octavius. I got it for free one day (it's 4.99 today) and so far, I'm really enjoying it.

Posted on May 1, 2014 1:23:51 PM PDT
Beverly says:
I finished The Wolf Gift: The Wolf Gift Chronicles (1) and was pleasantly surprised. I was hesitant to read it, even though Anne Rice was one of my favorite authors with her first books, The Vampire Chronicles, which in includes Interview with the Vampire (my personal favorite) and The Vampire Lestat (Vampire Chronicles, Book II). I also enjoyed [[ASIN:0394587863 The Witching Hour] and a few others. But the books that came after were not up to par and I just was not inclined to read the later ones. But this book about werewolves is pretty good. It held my interest and the prose was very good. The only thing I didn't like was the detailed description of the wolves' enjoyment during the killings, even though they are "good" wolves. I would give it 3 stars, maybe 3-1/2, and might read the second in the series.

Posted on May 1, 2014 8:20:54 PM PDT
Reading finally Cutting for Stone and I am wondering what took me so long it is lovely.

Cutting for Stone

Posted on May 1, 2014 9:39:09 PM PDT
Sue says:
I just started reading The Ghost of Blackwood Lane. I am not very far in it but so far it is good.

I have been having a hard time finding a book that can keep my interest so I hope this is the one that will do the trick.

Posted on May 1, 2014 10:00:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2014 10:05:19 PM PDT
Jazzy says:
Am so excited that Gwen Bristow's books are finally being digitalized. Available May 20. Great historical fiction. Read them as a teenager and can't wait to re-read Jubilee Trail, Celia Garth, Calico Palace, This Side of Glory and The Plantation Trilogy.

Posted on May 1, 2014 10:42:35 PM PDT
R says:
I finished All about you (Love & Hate series #1) last night. I would recommend it to those who likes a contemporary romance book with a love/hate relationship. This book was not free when I bought it (2.99). I really love and enjoyed this book. It is one of my favorites. I can't wait for the second book.

Posted on May 2, 2014 1:14:11 AM PDT
Just finished re-reading Black Knight in Red Square (Inspector Porfiry Rostnikov Mysteries). This is the second book in the series and is, to me, superior to the first book.

Now I've dpped into my TBR folder and pulled out Austenland: A Novel. I bought it a while back when it was offered at a much reduced price. This is one that I've been wanted to read for a while, so I hope it doesn't disappoint. :-)

Posted on May 3, 2014 6:01:53 AM PDT
lesley9 says:
Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain - my May KOLL. Two British men wearing only boxer shorts try to cycle from Lands End to John O Groats depending on only freebies supplied by the public including food, shelter, clothes, and the bicycles. Fun, light read.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2014 7:22:53 AM PDT
Patsy says:
@lesley9
Read Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain last year, really enjoyed it. Fun, light read describes it perfectly!

Posted on May 3, 2014 8:06:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2014 8:07:14 AM PDT
Beverly says:
Just finished Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter and have to say I couldn't put it down. It was a wonderful read, not at all what I expected. A story of two men, one black, one white, who become friends in childhood but because it is in the south at a time when that is not condoned, they keep It somewhat of a secret. Something happens to change their relationship. You have to read it to find out what. An excellent story. I don't know why it stayed in my Kindle for almost two years!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2014 8:09:10 AM PDT
Yes, good book indeed...

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2014 9:01:36 AM PDT
Denise says:
I agree. I thought the book was good for about the first two-thirds and then I thought it turned a corner into something better than good.

Posted on May 3, 2014 9:19:40 AM PDT
What a disappointment! Austenland: A Novel was awful. I'd really been looking forward to it, too. The protagonist is incredibly annoying, and the other characters aren't much better. Dang.

On to an SF novel, The Testing

Posted on May 3, 2014 9:23:05 AM PDT
What a disappointment! Austenland: A Novel was awful. I'd really been looking forward to it, too. The protagonist is incredibly annoying, and the other characters aren't much better. Dang.

On to an SF novel, The Testing

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2014 11:37:36 AM PDT
Angel's Mum says:
You guys have helped to remind me that I meant to see about reading other books by Franklin, and both of these look great!

The Tilted World: A Novel

Hell at the Breech

Seriously add to my wished for TBR pile!!! Thanks for the reminder folks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2014 6:02:53 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
It's always good to hear of something for my KOLL list. There seem to be so few that sound interesting to me.

I just read an outstanding book by Cathie Pelletier, One-Way Bridge: A Novel. It's about a small town in Maine which is bisected by the one-way bridge. The characters in it are wonderful, some quirky, none boring. I have never read a book of Cathie Pelletier's I didn't like and was so happy to see this one after a long hiatus. Currently it is only $2.99.

Posted on May 4, 2014 7:08:40 AM PDT
GOR says:
@ Mary McManus

I found many new books/authors through this thread so I thank you for your recommendation! Can the Cathie Pelletier books be read as stand alones or is there an order to them? As so many posters have said, 'so many books, so little time'. :)

Posted on May 4, 2014 8:53:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2014 8:57:44 AM PDT
katydidit says:
Thank you Mother Beaver! I picked The Sparrow: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle) yesterday thinking I would read the first few chapters then get on with my day -- but sat there and read half the book! You recommended this a year or so ago and it has been on my TBR pile since that time. Not at all what I expected. Fascinating, thought provoking, compelling - I have things to get done today which may be just left by the wayside! I seriously believe this will definitely be one of my favorites of all time.

Also finished The Misremembered Man. Overall excellent book. Emotional, haunting, compelling.

I have put Don Quixote aside for a bit. Have about 20 more hours of listening.

Also listened to Knots And Crosses overall pretty good. As one of the Louise Penny/Inspector Gamache followers thought I would branch out and try another series.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  277
Initial post:  May 1, 2014
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions