Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle paperwhite won't boot

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2012 3:56:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 4:01:11 AM PST
Matias Ruiz says:
I bought this paperwhite as a christmass gift, the kindle hangs while configuring language (spanish), so I charge it until the light turns green and try it again, but it get stucked at random images while booting.

I've tried the 20 seconds reboot and also the 30 seconds too several times, always the same behavior, while booting the progress bar reach 90% and it shows a random image and you can't do anything.

I've download the firmware 5.3.1 and put it on the root of the drive while on USB, reset it and it did the update process fine, but the same behavior.

While I unpluged it from the USB I can see the menu for a half second, but it show a random image again and I can't do anything there.

While on USB it shows the propper screen of charging, but if I disconnect it it return to the same behavior.

As a mass storage it shows 3 folders, Documents, system and .active_content_sandbox

I am out of the country, so returnit it to the store is not possible.

Any Idea on how to solve this?, I have some unix skills of it necesary for trying something else by USB, like permissions, or modify files

thanks
Matias

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 4:00:57 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
don't touch the files

try a reboot - fully charged, unplugged, hold power on for 30 seconds

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 4:05:23 AM PST
Matias Ruiz says:
I just did that, and is the same situation. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 4:14:30 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
the click on the Help at the top of the page, then click kindle, then click on the orange Contact Us button, log in, select your kindle and problem type (and possibly make a few other selections - don't worry if your problem isn't listed just pick something) and then the buttons on the bottom of the screen will be enabled and you can select either Call Me/Us or Chat

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 2:36:20 AM PST
J. Moylan says:
I put mine in an old kindle case which stopped it turning on. Some PW cases trigger sleep mode when you close them, this one obviously triggered sleep mode.
In short, take your kindle PW out of a case when troubleshooting.

jfp

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:59:14 AM PDT
PittyPat says:
Hi - I have the same problem. Just bought a paperwhite and although it is the same length and height as my old one, it is a little thinner. When I put it in my old case, it will not stay turned on - even when the cover is open. I don't want to buy a new case if the problem is with the unit. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 7:02:52 AM PDT
PittyPat, do you mean it goes to sleep when the cover is open? You need to give some more details.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 7:33:38 AM PDT
PittyPat says:
Yes, it will not stay on when it is in the case, but open so I can read. Have just spent the last half hour on chat with support and got nowhere. Suggestion is to buy a new case - of course :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 7:44:06 AM PDT
What is the case? If it has a magnet for keeping it closed, that is your issue. The Paperwhite is designed to work with some cases that have a magnet that will wake the device up when you open the case. The magnet in your case is working in the opposite way.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 9:42:02 AM PDT
PittyPat says:
Hi - you are right - there is a magnet in the top right hand corner of the sleeve part. Isn't it amazing that Kindle support didn't know about this and you do! Just shows how generally useless online customer support is these days. Guess I will have to buy a new case specifically for my paperwhite. Thanks so much!!!!!

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 11:00:17 AM PDT
PittyPat says:
Just a follow up.........I just got an email from the c/s agent replying to mine where I brought up the issue possibly being caused by a magnet in my old case. Here is an excerpt from his reply. "I'd love to assist, but at time time magnetic cover is unavailable for kindle paperwhite. However, kindle Fire HD uses a magnet to sense when the Amazon branded Kindle Fire HD cover is closed over the device. When the cover is closed, Kindle Fire HD will automatically lock the screen."

Seems I'm right back where I started.....according to him, the paperwhite is not made to work with the magnet to shut it off when you close the case. If true, that should mean that my casing having a magnet should have no effect. Once again, buying a new case seems to be my only option.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 5:05:55 AM PDT
I determined that it was my cover causing my paperwhite to not start up. Sooo... As I am too lazy to fight with Amazon- I was going to buy a different case. Couldn't determine which one to buy soo... decided to make a cover. They are beautiful but who's got the time. Soooo... I took the magnets (4) and all metal (2 small circles) I could find out of my leather case. And attached a piece of velcro to keep it closed. Will let you know if this doesn't work.

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 4:04:11 AM PST
I have a paperwhite kindle. It has been working very nicely until just yesterday. First it refused to detect my Wi Fi and now it wont even turn on. What gives? I don't have it in a case currently...so that isn't it

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2013 4:15:27 AM PST
Did you try the 30-second reboot?

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 8:55:38 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 22, 2013 9:17:28 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 9:17:20 AM PST
William, I've had to remove your post to protect your privacy, as it contained personal information. Please feel free to re-post your question on our Kindle Help Forum; just be careful not to include any personal information such as an order number, tracking number, e-mail address, or phone number.

If needed, you can review the Amazon Help Forums Etiquette guidelines here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200898250

You're also able to reach out to Customer Service directly for assistance with your account. You can reach them by using the following link: http://www.amazon.com/contact-us

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 4:05:04 AM PST
You guys are awesome, I just fixed it without having a panic attack :)

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 3:27:44 AM PST
Martin Ryan says:
Hi my kindle is frozen it's fully change and it won't turn on and there is lines on the screen how can this be fixed

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 3:43:19 AM PST
Lines on the screen usually means broken.

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 3:27:27 AM PST
My kindle touch won't turn on I hold the power button to the right for 50 seconds the green light comes on screen flashes black and white then nothing it only shows the amount of power left in battery help

Posted on Sep 13, 2014 10:48:07 AM PDT
No sign of life from my kindle paperwhite, on charge but nothing happening.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
23 15 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Screwed with a data plan 8 1 minute ago
Ship the Kindle Voyage to Australia 10 2 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 6186 7 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 4953 9 minutes ago
Who is getting what new device? 81 9 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 2082 10 minutes ago
New Kindles! 126 24 minutes ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 7045 26 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2012
Latest post:  7 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions