Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on PlasmaCar
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Problems with Paperwhite light staying on

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 124 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 7:53:01 PM PST
Lucy P says:
Has anyone had a problem with their light staying on when turned off and at the screensaver? When I first received my PW all went well, then I noticed that my battery was wearing down faster than before with the same usage. A few weeks ago in a low light area I noticed that the light stayed on even though I'd turned off my PW and the screen saver was up. I also noticed that the pages took a long time to turn, longer than before. So I called Kindle help and he documented everything and had me do a factory reset. Hated that because I lost all the books I'd downloaded and hadn't had the chance to write down what was on my PW. This seemed to fix the problems for a week or so. Light stayed off, battery still drained fastish but not as fast as previously, and the pages turned at a normal rate. Then last night the light didn't go off when I turned off my PW. I called Amazon and the rep decided to send me another PW. I was quite happy with this one because I had no issues with the screen being lit unevenly. But the other problems outweighed this one good thing. I hope this next one doesn't have screen problems. I received my PW on Oct 4 and read it 1 - 2 hours a day with the light turned up halfway, sometimes less.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 7:58:37 PM PST
The Blade says:
Try doing a restart, not a factory reset. You won't lose anything and others have indicated that this helped them.

To do a restart, hold the sleep button for 30 seconds (time it, don't guess) and see if that helps.

Best of luck.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 8:42:53 PM PST
Lucy P says:
Thank you Saintly Brees! So others have had this problem? I checked a few pages of thread titles and didn't see anything. I'll try the restart.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 2:15:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 2:15:32 PM PST
W. Tjong says:
I just got mine, and in an effort to increase the contrast in normal lighting (as well as save the battery), have been trying to read mostly with the light off (pressing and holding the "-" under the lightbulb drop-down menu). This does not actually seem to turn the light off anymore, as I can still see the LEDs illuminated at the bottom of the screen, although very faintly. Is this normal? It would seem unnecessary ruins what would normally be a better-contrasting screen. I have restarted the Paperwhite and it still seems to do this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:34:18 PM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
Is this normal?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:38:30 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Yes, it's normal. Like every other internally lit touch-screen device ever made, the Paperwhite is designed so that there is always enough light to be able to see the on-screen controls so the device can be operated independently of the ambient lighting conditions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:37:40 PM PST
Diane Nelson says:
Yes I had this happen to mine as well. I did the 30 second hold ( thanks Hombre..) of the sleep button and that worked great. But I do wish I could know why this happened? Is it a glitch or is there something I did that made it happen. I do not notice any change to the battery though. Sure do love the PW- I hope it continues to work properly.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:59:02 PM PST
I've been having the same problem and the only thing that has worked for me is to restart it. I hope this issue doesn't get any more frequent, I really don't want to return it.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 3:47:33 AM PST
GrumpyDog says:
Yep, same problem and the old hard reset resolved it for now.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 5:53:29 AM PST
Denise says:
Im having the same problem after a couple months of having my PW. Will try a restart to see if that rectifies the problem.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 6:37:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 6:39:36 AM PST
Mr. Baz says:
This has happened to me 5-6 times now since I got my paperwhite in November. I power the kindle off, the screen goes blank, but the light stays on. The only way to correct it is to do a restart. I suspect that perhaps I turned it off during a software update, which may have contributed to / caused the problem? Since the kindle never tells you when a software update has started / is downloading (yes, I know that when the update is *installing* it tells you so), I consider it a possibility. I just spoke with customer service and will see if it's time for a replacement or not...

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 7:55:17 AM PST
Mr. Baz says:
Out of curiosity, is this happening for anyone with software version 5.3.1?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:00:04 AM PST
**Meya** says:
I have 5.3.1 on my Paperwhite. The light has stayed on after sleep 3 times for me. A reboot always fixes it for a couple of weeks. I am having no other issues or problems with the device.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 4:03:41 PM PST
Lucy P says:
My Paperwhite version is also 5.3.1. I just checked and that's the newest version. I think they need to bring out a newer version that will correct this problem. I'm the OP and so far the new PW they sent me has needed a soft restart twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 4:22:23 PM PST
Mr. Baz says:
A soft restart for the same reason? (light staying on?) My issue has only happened when I power the PW off, not putting it to sleep...weird. Thank you for responding...greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:25:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 7:31:45 PM PST
Lucy P says:
Yes, my issue also has been when I power off my PW -- the light stays on when the screen saver comes on. When this happened with my first PW the customer service person had me 'reset' from the menu. Yikes, everything disappeared and my PW went back to factory settings. The light staying on problem didn't happen again for a few weeks. At this point when I called Amazon about it, they decided to send out another PW. Now when it happens I hold the sleep button until the tree and line comes on the screen. I call this a 'soft restart' since it doesn't dump my content.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:31:07 PM PST
Lucy P says:
I just noticed something in your post: you say "when I power the PW off, not putting it to sleep." This might just be semantics but when I press the button the PW goes into sleep mode. When I got my first PW I thought that when I closed the cover, like with my iPad, it put it to sleep since it woke it up when I open the cover. But this evidently isn't the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 5:45:19 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
One the menu there are 2 options -- restart and reset to factory settings. You should have only done "restart" not "reset". It will do the same as holding the power button for 20 seconds.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 5:45:37 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
You have to have a special cover for it to put the PW to sleep and wake it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 5:46:30 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Just out of curiosity, why are you powering the Kindle completely off? It uses no power in sleep mode. The only reason to turn it completely off is if you are not going to use it for weeks.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 6:10:04 AM PST
Mr. Baz says:
The reason I power my PW off instead of putting it to sleep is simply out of habit. I've owned every generation of Kindle since they first came out, and old habits die hard. I first noticed the issue when I powered the PW off, closed the (Amazon Kindle) cover, and the light was shining through the closed cover. I keep reminding myself that there is no need to power it off, but the battery seems to be draining rather quickly, and turning it fully off just seems to make more sense in regards to preserving battery, even though I know that is apparently not the case... :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 6:17:20 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
I don't have the Amazon cover that turns the light off but if I did, I guess I wouldn't trust it LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:29:59 AM PST
Lucy P says:
I, of course, have the Amazon cover that wakes the PW up, but it never put it to sleep. I could still see bits of light around the edges. And as, R. Bazylak reports, when I'd just close the cover expecting my PW to go to sleep, it didn't and my battery depleted very quickly: in days instead of weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:31:38 AM PST
Lucy P says:
Peachy Pat, well of course I know that know after I saw what would happen when my PW was 'reset'. I was following the directions of the Amazon customer service rep.

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 2:31:49 PM PST
I had this problem with the Paperwhite. The light stayed on when I put the device into sleep mode or turned it off. I did the restart (hold the power button for 20 sec) and that did the trick. The light goes off now when I turn the Kindle off or put it into sleep mode. Hopefully, this won't be a recurring problem...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 3 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 9361 1 minute ago
Colorado springs shooting....can you say false flag? That's what this is 2 1 minute ago
SwagBucks Thread 8617 2 minutes ago
Kindle Owner's Lending Library: how to tell if a book is eligible from the web 22 4 minutes ago
my kindle keeps shutting off during use. 137 5 minutes ago
Amazon hacked?? Copy of my email.... 432 6 minutes ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 2783 7 minutes ago
Bluetooth on Kindle Fire HD 49 9 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  124
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 17, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions