Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How Many Books do you have on your Kindle ? Which Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2013 3:28:39 PM PDT
Donna Pavone says:
Just curious. They say the Paperwhite can hold 1,100 books. I am seriously considering getting one. I have a Nook Simple Touch, but have looked at the Paperwhite & love it! So I would love to know how many books people have on their devices.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 3:30:19 PM PDT
My PW has about 100+ on it. My K3 has about 700+ on it.

Many people say that their Kindle slows down after loading more than a few hundred on them.

Posted on May 16, 2013 3:31:35 PM PDT
Donna Pavone says:
Really? How do you like the Paperwhite?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 3:46:51 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
I have a Paperwhite. Actually 2 of them for different locations. In the past I've had a Kindle Keyboard, a Kindle Basic and a Kindle Touch. They were all good but the Paperwhite is where they've perfected it. This is great for reading.

It is true that if you put too many books on a Kindle it slows it down. I know someone with a Kindle Basic and over 600 books on it and her's is pretty slow compared to mine. She doesn't care and that's that.

I usually have my current book on the Kindle along with a couple of books of short stories and my 4 of 5 best guesses at what my next book will be. I also send any new books I buy to my Kindle to look over.

When I get more than about 20 to 30 books on it I remove any that I don't really expect to read next, leaving, of course, the current book and the short story books. It's not that 20 or 30 books is a problem. It's not. But I like to avoid having to navigate for books. A press or two of the screen and I can find anything on the device. I like it that way.

I rarely actually read next one of those that I guessed I would read next. I usually end up getting something else from my library. But that's so easy to do, who cares. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 3:47:08 PM PDT
I have about 100 on my kindle fire hd 8.9, and it works great.

Posted on May 16, 2013 3:49:38 PM PDT
Donna Pavone says:
Barry - Do you put them in the Cloud? How does that work if you don't mind me asking?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 4:28:53 PM PDT
Donna, I love it. I have several versions of the Kindle, and it is the best and most versatile (with the light built-in). And the touch screen works well.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 4:30:21 PM PDT
Donna, when you remove a book from a Kindle, it leaves the title in the cloud list on the Kindle. The cloud lists all the books on the account that are not on the Kindle.

Posted on May 16, 2013 4:44:59 PM PDT
seedlady says:
i keep about 300 on each of mine, and the other 5000 books stay in cold storage at amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 5:17:53 PM PDT
Paxton says:
Donna - I have 1400+ on a Kindle Keyboard backup (which would be SUPER slow if I used that for reading). My regular KK has maybe 25 books on it, as does my paperwhite, The backup is used for keeping track of the collections, which I import to the other devices. For the paperwhite, which is my main reading device, I usually have my current book, and best guesses for next few TBR's. Everything else I keep in the cloud.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 5:58:08 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
Donna, I keep about ten Kindle store books on any of my devices, and literally thousands in the Cloud. When you buy a book from the Kindle store, they are automatically backed up for you by Amazon in the archives/Cloud. I just find it easiest to only keep the books I'm going to use soon on the actual device. There's no charge for storing them at Amazon, it takes less than a minute (usually) to download one.

As to which one...let's just say several. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 6:08:11 PM PDT
Tess says:
I have a K3. I have MANY books but I keep most of them stored.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 6:44:36 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
When you buy a book from Amazon it goes into the cloud. In this case the cloud just means you've bought it and you can download it whenever and as many times as you like. They often limit the number of devices you can download it to, depending on the publisher's wishes, but it's always there to download.

For books you get elsewhere, as long as they don't have DRM, you can send them to a special email address that you get with your Kindle and Amazon converts it to Kindle format and keeps it in the cloud as well.

When I turn on the Kindle it's usually showing me the books on the device itself. If I tap cloud then it shows me the books in the cloud. If I tap one it downloads to the device, usually in about 20 to 30 seconds. A minute for a really big book.

They've made this real easy for us. The only real restriction is that if you have a Wifi only Kindle you need to be near a Wifi hotspot to download the book. The 3G Kindle can get it wherever you are, as long as it's within range of an AT&T tower, which I always am.

If you have the Wifi Kindle and you aren't near a hotspot you can still see what's in the cloud. The device keeps a list of that onboard. You just can't download it till you're near Wifi.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 7:15:47 PM PDT
Steve H. says:
I have almost 1100 kindle books. Only about 625 managed to make it onto my paperwhite kindle. The rest stay in the cloud. This presents problems when you want to search for books that you have placed into collections or when you look up words in your library(it will not find words or terms in books that you have in the cloud). If you read large books it probably will not hold 1100 books. It is a very good device but capacity is limited.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 7:23:10 PM PDT
Steve H. says:
I don't notice slow down with about 625 books on my paperwhite.

Posted on May 16, 2013 7:46:58 PM PDT
Donna Pavone says:
Thanks so much for all your responses! I really appreciate the input. I was excited when B&N put out the Simple Touch with Glowlight, but when I tried it in the store, I did not like it. The lighting did not impress me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 8:30:11 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
I think the key to using the light in the Paperwhite, and probably in the Touch with Glowlight too, is not to make it too bright. I turn the light up enough to increase the contrast by whitening the background. At a certain point it begins to seem like it's glowing and at that point turning it up more decreases the contrast by making the text lighter. When it begins to seem to glow I lower the light a little and that's just right for me.

Also I don't read in the dark. I don't always have really good room light and the Paperwhite light let's that be okay. But I have some room light.

Posted on May 16, 2013 8:46:23 PM PDT
Artist says:
I have a K2 and a KK. Both of them have the same books and the same collections on them, since I use one in the house and one I take out with me. I have about 350 books on them. I go through periodically and delete old freebies, since if I haven't read them in a couple of years, I'm probably never going to read them.

Posted on May 17, 2013 6:47:32 AM PDT
I've got about 1600 on my Kindle Fire, first gen. On the cloud, I've got about 3500.

Lord, I'm a book junkie... :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2013 6:55:58 AM PDT
About a thousand books on my K3

Posted on May 17, 2013 12:57:55 PM PDT
DinDC says:
About 60. I keep unread, recently read, and all-time favorites on my Kindle PW. The rest I move to the clout.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2013 1:52:13 PM PDT
Pamela says:
The Paperwhite lighting will impress you. I was against any lighting, fearing it would be handled improperly, but Amazon hit a home run with the lighting IMO.

Posted on May 18, 2013 5:32:18 AM PDT
SickSquirrel says:
913 on Kindle II with 125 mb free

Posted on May 18, 2013 5:38:21 AM PDT
Arieswoman says:
I have over 3200 books but most are in my cloud. It does slow your device down with too many on it. I have owned the kindle keyboard, touch and also had a Nook. Of all of them I love my paper white! Even on a cloudy day in the living room I can adjust the lighting on the pw. That is the best feature IMHO.

Posted on May 18, 2013 5:56:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2013 5:58:20 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
I have around 2,000+ books in my amazon account cloud.. I have two Kindle Keyboards, and a couple of tablets with the Kindle apps on them. I tend to just keep the books I'm reading and going to read next on the Kindle Keyboards - I use to keep everything on one of them. But it got slower and slower, and started having battery problems. I bought the second KK thinking I needed to replace a dying device. But then I did a factory reset on the old KK, which wiped out everything. Doing that returned the device to working like new. So now I don't try to hoard every book I own on it any more.

But I do still hoard.. I have one of the HP touchpads, running the WebOS Kindle app and I have nearly every ebook I own on it. It works great as a library - very speedy even with everything I have on it. I would like to have all my Kindle books on it, but some publishers exclude the device/OS and don't let their books to be downloaded to it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 16 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 16 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
This price was set by the publisher 179 33 seconds ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 530 8 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - October 2015 221 10 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 3485 10 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 5925 13 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 7270 17 minutes ago
Kindle needs repair 26 33 minutes ago
Kindle Cloud Reader not opening 1 36 minutes ago
difficult to return to home page after reading a novel 1 38 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  May 16, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 28, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions