Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Epub reader for the new Kindle Fire HD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2012 11:50:06 AM PDT
M. York says:
Can someone tell me in pretty simple steps how to find and install an epub reader for the new Kindle? I figured out how to add Matano on my original Fire, but this new one is a bit more difficult. Nothing in the app store here works. Why is that?

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 12:57:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 12:59:13 PM PDT
I use this one with my Nexus 7 and love it: Moon+ Reader Pro

I don't know if you'll have issues using it with the new Fire HD. Apparently, it works with the original Fire if you sideload it. See the discussion here: http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Reader-App/forum/FxOWISJMNDFOU0/Tx3IR3IQ556MGPF/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_tp_sa_t?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B004TN7QPG.

Here'a an article that discusses other ereader apps that may work: http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/essential-apps-for-the-amazon-kindle-fire-and-how-to-install-them/

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 2:19:41 PM PDT
IdolFan says:
If you are wanting epub for reading library books, download their adobe digital mobile app from the library website. you can download and return books on your Fire from it under the Overdrive app you install on your fire.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 4:43:39 AM PST
I just got a new Kindle Fire HD. No matter which epub reader I find on Amazon, the app is shown as being incompatible, yet I see on forums people talking about using Aldiko. What am I missing here?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 4:47:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 4:47:48 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Not all apps have been upgraded to work on the new Fires. They are running an updated version of Android and the app makers have to update the apps for compatibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 6:05:27 AM PST
Oh,OK, thanks. Didn't realize Fire HD was so new.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:11:55 PM PST
Loronda says:
Hi all,
I asked for a Kindle Fire HD and got one thinking I would be able to read my epub books that I have purchased over the years for an older ereader but find myself very frustrated and unable to do that. I see that previous versions have been able to load an ap that will allow reading of epub but for the life of me I can not find a way to do that with my new Fire HD.
I am not very ebook savy so if anyone has a suggestion please include step by step instructions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
a

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:36:09 PM PST
flipoid says:
The Overdrive app (if you authorize your device) reads most ePub files that I've found (even nook books, I think, but I'm not sure).

If you go to the Overdrive website on your Fire's browser, you can download the Overdrive app directly to your Fire.

You can also go to places like Getjar and 1Mobile to find the nook reader, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 4:43:28 PM PST
Kim K. says:
over drive app in amazon app store works...just downloaded my first epub formatted book

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 11:26:30 PM PST
I don't know if you got the app to install or not, but I figured out how to do it on mine (super geeked about it!) and figured I'd share just in case. Just click the link and then the .apk file at the end. Worked like a charm for me! Hope it does for you too! https://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/402881-download-the-latest-version-2-2-3-of-the-aldiko-book-reader-application

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 12:05:06 PM PST
Where is the link for this? I can't find it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 2:37:45 PM PST
y

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 2:39:27 PM PST
you need to allow 3rd party applications (non-market) in the settings, go to 1 mobile market and download it then search for whatever the f you want...

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013 10:43:54 AM PDT
THis may help: Recently I had a replacement kindle fire sent to me due to a faulty usb port (too loose) on my original one and when I downloaded all my stuff onto the new kindle I found (to my horror) that my Moon+ Reader Pro was missing. After a long chat on the helpline I found that amazon stopped selling Moon cos they thought it was incompatible with kindle (It's NOT, people! its AWESOME!!).
Anyway, I was frankly devastated cos while there are good pdf reader apps available to kindle (EZ PDF Reader is awesome) there are no good epub readers and if youre anything like me you want to be able to not only highlight , change fonts and make notes but also make use of hyperlinks.

Anyway, good news!! I found how to get Moon+Reader back on (not using amazon) and if you'd like to try it here's the directions: (by the way, I see no reason why this wouldn't work with the Kindle fire HD as well. After all, its not sold for kindles its sold for phones but it works!)

First off, make sure your device is set to allow 3rd party apps. To do this go to settings/ device/ allow installation of apps

1)Go to http://www.androidpit.com/ and register an account. (its free).
2)Go to the email they send to confirm registration.
3)Now, go back on their site and click on their Mobile APP Center to download the android appstore app on your device. The directions are all right there.
4)Now, either on your device or on your pc (doesnt matter) find the Moon+Reader in their store. (its under the category "books and reference" Here's the link if you have trouble finding it:
http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/com.flyersoft.moonreaderp/Moon-Reader-Pro
5)Buy the free version (Moon Reader) or pay for the Pro version for $5.06. The free one works fine!
6)Now go to your kindle, find your android appstore app (its a rectangle with a smiley face) and when you open it at the bottom right is a button that says "my apps". click. Moon+ should show up . Now install.

You should be ready to go.

The Android Appstore APP allows you to shop for apps not only in amazon but also at the android pit which is loaded with apps of all kinds.

Posted on May 27, 2013 4:20:33 PM PDT
Loronda says:
I tried to do this and when I go to the Mobile APP Center I don't see the directions to do that. The note above says there are right there but I looked all over and can't find it.
I can find where to buy the app for the Moon Reader but not how to download the app center.
I also cannot find the place in the settings of my Kindle Fire to allow 3rd party apps.
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 9:19:10 PM PDT
All I did was go to aldiko site and have them send program download to my email. Opened email, clicked on download and it works fine on my replacement kindle.

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 10:45:07 AM PST
moon reader is no longer allowing me to get epubs. Anyone have a new free solution for this?

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 2:47:54 PM PST
HI. Im completely new to this kindle and I was shocked to see they don't take epubs or pdf's? Am I right? Im not very tech savvy (just basics). On my ipad I am able to easily download a pdf or epub (into ibooks). Here I tried the moonreaderplus and for 1 or 2 day I was able to read a pdf book with the moonreader app and do my highlighting and such but the next time I went in there, the books were gone and now it says I must UPGRADE (pay for) if I want to download pdf's into it???
Then I saw other suggestions online that said to download adobe reader. When I did that, I am able to get my book in pdf and do highlighting and all that. Did that solve my problem? Because I don't understand why people say you need adobe and Overdrive app when the adobe seemed to do the job by itself? Please help. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2014 8:16:25 PM PST
B. Washburn says:
I just did it and it was super simple--I have Aldiko but this was simpler than that.

1. On your Kindle go to the App Store and download the Overdrive App--it's called Overdrive Media Console.

2. Open it and you will have to authorize it with your Adobe Digital Editions username and password.

3. Search and add whatever library it is you use for eBooks in the 'Add Library' page--it will come onto your Overdrive looking like an app itself.

4. Tap it to open it, and you'll be 'in' it just like you were online, log in, etc, search for books, check them out, same as always, except now it'll down load straight into your Overdrive app.

5. What's nice about this is you can also download audiobooks and play them straight from your Kindle too, which for me has always fallen into the 'too hard to do' category before.

The one 'thing' I'd mention is that the actual menu for the app, once you're in it, is only indicated by three very little parallel lines on the far left.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 12:43:04 PM PST
bre3190 says:
I have the moon reader but the pro doesnt work for the kindle fire hd or hdx I tried, Im having the same problem need a epub/ pdf reader that really works for the kindle fire hdx. I dont want my books all over the place.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 12:46:14 PM PST
bre3190 says:
2 years later and Im still having the same issue Im really thinking about trading in my kindle fire hdx and I just got in because the main thing I bought it for was to read and I cant even find a app for reading my epub and pdf files that is compatible with the kindle fire hd as well as hdx besides adobe!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2015 2:36:44 PM PDT
R. D. Miller says:
this works!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2015 2:53:39 PM PDT
Loronda says:
WHAT WORKS?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2015 3:36:07 PM PDT
Installing aldiko back in 2013.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Free Books and Chat (FB&C)---May 2016 219 15 minutes ago
Filter request for "Managing Content and Devices" 5 17 minutes ago
Ordering Kindle unlimited book on kindle in store stopped working 1 29 minutes ago
Amazon Prime - No Rush Shipping Credits 53 41 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9089 1 hour ago
Amazon Fire 5th gen issues 28 1 hour ago
Kindle Paperwhite stuck in USB Drive Mode... HELP 5 1 hour ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 4844 1 hour ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6517 2 hours ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 7587 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Sep 17, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 29, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions