Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire 7"HD - 8GB or 16GB for 7 year old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2013 9:35:46 AM PDT
Kate says:
Will be used for:
- mostly learning apps
- some game apps
- books
- streaming movies/shows
- NO movie downloads. (When we travel, any movie/show downloads can be put onto my iPad and accessed by the Kindles via the cloud when we have WiFi access).

I know it's only $30 more for 16GB, but I'm trying to make a more informed decision. I've bought a lot of devices over the years and usually try to maximize the capacity but now with cloud storage and streaming, I'm wondering if I should rethink that.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:47:37 PM PDT
TheCaptain says:
I'm searching for similar information and found this older but probably still very valid post online "http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57325935-251/amazon-kindle-fire-is-8gb-enough/"

Basically, the key item here is how much of the 8GB is dedicated to the OS. That is key since eventually new OS versions will be released that most likely will take up more of the space. Will that occur before the device is no longer deemed "usable".

$30 seems like a small amount but if you were buying 2 of these (as I am looking into) then its $60. That's almost 50% of the 2nd unit base cost. Those of you with kids will agree that every $ counts when trying to get gifts for the holidays and that grows exponentially with every child.

At this point I'm sold with 8GB units for my kids.

-Kirk

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:58:30 PM PDT
Jimi says:
I got the 16GB for my son, but we do download a lot of our content because we are often away from wifi when uses it. Games and books do have to be downlaoded to be used, so you might want to think about that. Books don't take much memory but games/apps can.

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 1:50:08 PM PST
Patter says:
I've ordered a 16 gb kindle fire hd and expect it to arrive in the next couple days. I've developed some trust issues with the seller and want to know how I can check for certain whether or not he's sent me what I ordered, the 16 gb and not an 8 gb? Also, how can I be sure its a kindle fire and not an older kindle being sold off as a fire hd? Thank you.

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 1:56:30 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2013 3:12:47 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 6, 2014 1:06:29 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 3:22:05 PM PST
Kate says:
Patter,
When you get the device, go to Settings, Device, Storage. You should be able to tell there how much memory you have on the device. There's also a serial number on that screen. Maybe Amazon can verify which Kindle it is with that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2013 3:46:04 PM PST
King Al says:
How careful is your child? If (s)he tends to break things, I'd go with the 8GB model.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2014 12:09:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2014 3:36:31 PM PDT
Carol says:
So, please, tell me, what did you get? I'm looking to buy a Kindle Fire for my sister for her birthday. Like you and I, she wouldn't likely do much more than load games and books. I have a 16gb which amounts to 14 usable gbs; currently I have over 10gb of space available. It seems that's a lot of available space and, yet, I'm reluctant to buy her 'only' a 8gb (-2 unusable) leaves 6gb.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2014 12:11:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2014 12:14:20 PM PST
Carol says:
Thank you Kate. Not highly technical savvy, I did not know how to check available space.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2014 1:02:38 PM PST
Kate says:
I ended up getting the 16gb and I'm glad I did. The apps really do add up as far as space and although he doesn't play the Kindle for too long (we use FreeTime to limit his time for games, he can read whenever he wants), he does like to have a variety on there and I'm pretty sure that the 8gb would have filled up quickly. A savvy and organized user can manage with 8gb just fine using the cloud storage to offload apps that you don't use too often or anymore but for a 7 year old, it wasn't too practical for me to expect that of him. Very happy with my 16gb decision.

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 3:01:12 PM PST
Always buy as much memory as you can afford. Always.
Computer, tablet, phone, whatever. There's no such thing as too much memory.

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 3:00:52 PM PDT
how many books can a 8gb kindle fire hold as iv'e just bought one from ebay ?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2014 3:34:36 PM PDT
Carol says:
I did end up buying my sister the 16gb KF for her birthday. She's loving it! And no worries about her ever filling it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2014 3:49:51 PM PDT
Carol says:
Although I have a 16gb KF, I am currently using just 2gb of space. I have 3 versions of the Bible, 2 dictionaries, and 10 books. Plus I have about 25 songs and 17 games. Then in the cloud I have about 65 books. Look at Kate's directions earlier on and you'll be able to keep track of used and available space.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2014 4:47:39 PM PDT
Thanks for the info very helpful.Lorraine
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions