Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Resetting a Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2008 9:31:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2008 9:54:14 AM PST
Resetting a Kindle: Haven't had to do this. Do you lose all your downloaded books when you do this? I'm thinking the obvious answer is "Yes." but is there a wing and a prayer that you'll save your stuff? (Although if you have to restart it, you won't have anything until you do--so sacrificing your stuff-Someone has 3,700 titles on his-is the only option and then a lot of work to replace what was lost, I guess you do what you gotta do.....)

I guess I just answered my own question.....! :P

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 10:11:21 AM PST
John Newton says:
I don't really understand your question. You mean if you have to hit the reset button on the back? I wouldn't think that would erase anything. Most likely the memory will retain it's contents, like an sd card will, even if you take the battery out or reset the device. Worst case if you do actually somehow erase the contents you can always redownload your books from Amazon. If you have your own files you have loaded or you download stuff from other sources such as Manybooks, I would recommned backing them up to an SD card or a computer so you can always easily reload them on the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 10:31:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2008 10:48:06 AM PST
Well, it's like with my laptop. If I get a "bug" in it and can't fix it using every other method available, I have to reset it which takes it back to the factory settings, which in my mind takes it back to before I put anything on it. If I reset the Kindle, will it return it to factory settings prior to my downloading of books?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 11:09:03 AM PST
John Newton says:
There is a reset button on the back of the Kindle under the grey cover. If you press it, you'll need something like a paperclip to press it as it's in a hole, it resets the Kindle. You lose nothing when you do this. I just did it and everything is still there. As far as I can tell no settings changed either.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 11:23:36 AM PST
Thank you for trying this out. Definately answered my question. Esme.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 12:04:04 PM PST
Judie Brown says:
There is a soft reset that I have used with instruction from support. You have to hold down three keys at the same time. I am not sure all of them but support can help you, I think it was alt+up arrow+r. It is just like the restart on a computer. You lose nothing but the problems. My Kindle had froze up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 6:32:10 PM PST
Mary McManus says:
The soft reset must be like the soft reset on an iPod when it gets frozen as in nothing happens when you press buttons. It works like a charm on the iPod. Haven't had to use it on the Kindle yet, but it would be nice if someone does know the exact 3 keys just in case. (On the iPod, it's to hold down the center spot and Menu at the same time. Hold till the Apple appears. Then everything is fine).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2008 6:44:37 PM PST
John Newton says:
I just found this myself it's: alt + up arrow + R + home (looks like a house)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2008 5:12:53 AM PST
K.B.R. says:
You can also reset the Kindle by going to the Settings page and then clicking on Menu. You will see an option for a reset you can just click on without having to remember specific keys.

I've reset / restarted my Kindle many times (a customer service even told me that it was good to restart the kindle every few days or so.) I have NEVER lost anything at all, all my books & samples & documents were there.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2008 1:39:18 PM PST
Brent says:
Yeah, I don't think I've ever lost anything on my Kindle, even after resetting.

Note that, if you DO lose everything on your Kindle, you'd only have to do two things:

1. Wait an hour or two; your Kindle will automatically re-populate itself from your Amazon library via Whispernet.

2. Plug in the USB cable and drag any books you didn't buy from Amazon into the "documents" folder on your Kindle. Copying several thousand books might take a couple of hours.

You *are* backing up all your Kindle files, right? ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2008 3:28:58 PM PST
Why is it good to restart the Kindle? Did they say what the reasons are?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2008 4:05:15 PM PST
D. Boyle says:
I can answer this question from personal experience. My laptop froze while connected to my Kindle. The only thing I could do to unfreeze my Kindle was to reset using the little hole in the back. Nothing was lost. All my books were still there when it restarted.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2008 8:09:08 PM PST
D. Boyle says:
You would need to restart your Kindle if for some reason it "froze" as mine did.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2008 5:48:17 AM PDT
B. Will says:
I have tried everything to reset my kindle. Can anyone help me?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2008 6:44:26 AM PDT
B. Will, is your Kindle charged? Try plugging it in to the charger and see if the charging light lights up. If it is charging, let it finish doing that. Then remove the back cover (the battery cover) and insert an unbent paper clip in the little hole and push gently until you feel a soft click. That should reset it. If you still get no response, you can try removing the battery and putting it back. If you still get nothing, you need to contact Kindle Customer Support.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2008 7:01:42 AM PDT
Patricia W. says:
I reset my Kindle this morning. Everything is there.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 6:25:44 PM PDT
how do you get the back off of the kindle?

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 6:39:02 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Valerie, you are posting in a 3 year old thread. The only Kindle available then was the K1 which had a removable back. None of the others have had that since. You cannot take the back off of the K2, the K3 or any of the new ones. What problem are you trying to solve, and which Kindle do you have?

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 6:40:29 PM PDT
where do you reset a DX Kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 7:35:23 PM PDT
Thank you...I about had a heart attack thinking everything was gone, but it reset and it is all good!

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 8:12:29 PM PDT
Now. THIS truly is a zombie thread. Dormant between 2008 and 2011 then again, this week.

Persistent little bugger, this Zombie thread is. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 4:25:37 AM PDT
do you have the first kindle? if so, would you mind telling me where the reset button is in the back please? a picture would help too, but if you can jst explain it to me I'd be really grateful, thank you (:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 4:28:11 AM PDT
can you please let me know where the restart/reset button is in the back? that is if you have the first kindle. if not, then thanks anyway (:

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 4:39:17 AM PDT
It's not a button it'a little, tiny hole. Slide the grey back off of your k1 and look for the small hole.

I used to use an unbent paperclip to poke in the hole. I think you want to hold it down for 20 seconds. Do this while it is plugged in with the charger cord. (This is not so with the other generations of kindles) Release after 20 seconds. Your k1 should then reboot itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 12:19:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2013 12:25:46 PM PDT
Joan says:
the back doesn't come off my kindle. there is a hole by where you plug the charger in. when I turn it on, it just shuts off.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 5 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Power adapter question 8 5 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 5029 6 minutes ago
turn off notification in full screen 17 7 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 1142 8 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 7909 10 minutes ago
Amazon Prime - No Rush Shipping Credits 17 18 minutes ago
Voyage Cover: auto turn-on feature when flip-opening, freezes device? 1 25 minutes ago
Kindle Fire- download digital Flixster movies 44 29 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Mar 3, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions