Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire subscription?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2011 9:24:45 AM PDT
Well I know with all other tablets, you need a subscription service u pay monthly. I can't seem to find anything that mentions this for Kindle Fire. Does that mean once you buy it, you can use all it's features for free? I saw Amazon Prime mentioned. So what's the dealio?

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 9:26:05 AM PDT
J. Harnden says:
No monthly subscription for the Fire because its WiFi only :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 9:28:50 AM PDT
Erich says:
What did the Fire product page say about this?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 9:30:13 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
What you know is not actually true. There are many tablets which, like the Fire, are wifi only and therefore require no data plan.

Some, like the 3g version of the iPad, can connect via wifi or cell networks but allow you to buy data plans on a month-by-month basis, with no further commitment. Not the Fire, though.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 9:31:12 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 9:32:08 AM PDT
Can you get an app that allows you to utilize a stylus to take notes during lectures, etc.?

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 9:32:37 AM PDT
J. Harnden says:
No need to be rude or snarky....the OP asked a simple question and maybe he isn't familiar with what wifi is.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 9:51:20 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 9:47:24 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 10:03:23 AM PDT
To expand a little on the other answers (which are correct), the subscription fee you've heard about is for cellular service - referred to most often around here as 3G. That allows a connection from anywhere you can get cellular coverage, but it requires a monthly fee because tablets tend to move a lot of data when surfing the web and downloading videos. Amazon chose not to include 3G in this version of Fire, probably to keep things simple and inexpensive. There may or may not be future versions of Fire which have this capability, and if so there would almost certainly be a monthly subscription cost for the service.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 4:31:07 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 10, 2011 4:32:18 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 8:37:02 AM PST
luggage1 says:
they have a problem, or my kindle does
i cannot seem to read the additional reports in the huffington post at the end of the original articles

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 7:05:52 AM PDT
Eddy Fitter says:
I don't see this question has been answered - Does that mean once you buy it, you can use all it's features for free? or should we pay a subscription fee $70?

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 12:31:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 3, 2012 12:39:25 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 12:36:57 PM PDT
AT says:
I am currently deciding whether to buy the Kindle. Have been for 2 years! I have read ALOT of reveiws, however I still have a few questions. I have placed many books/games/mags on my ama.com wish list. It is my understanding that I can buy a magazine subscription for a year, read the mag. monthly etc. When that subscription is over I have to renew. Right? Same way with a normal "in your hand" mag. lol. The books in the wish list would have to be selcted and placed in the ama.com "cloud" until I am ready to purchase them. Right? I also have to buy a USB thing, as one does not come with the Fire. I am also going to buy a screen saver and a cover to protect the device.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 12:45:56 PM PDT
"The books in the wish list would have to be selcted and placed in the ama.com "cloud" until I am ready to purchase them."

The "cloud" has nothing to do with your wish list. You may purchase books from your wish list. You can download those books to your Kindle. Amazon always keeps a record of the books you purchase so you can download them again. The "cloud" is like a drive on your PC. You can put all kinds of things there. You could put a copy of your books there but if you purchase them from Amazon there is no reason to.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 1:18:01 PM PDT
AT says:
Thank You.
In answer to the magazines for Kindle, I would purchase a yearly/6 mon. subsc. and then renew when they expire... I just dont want to get into multiple monthly fees. I just want to buy and then be done with it. Thanks for the answers. These posts really do clarfify alot for people who are not in the know!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 1:23:07 PM PDT
Eddy Fitter: It was actually answered several times. The answer is there is no subscription fee required.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
What is clippingss 0 3 minutes ago
When I try to get my photo to ebay,it just opens the camera ! 8 6 minutes ago
Cannot add to carousel 0 9 minutes ago
Kindle Voice has taken over my Fire 3 11 minutes ago
My kindle fire just locked how do I unlock it 0 13 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 9356 13 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 611 14 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3946 19 minutes ago
2015 Fire unable to see books on SD after factory reset 33 24 minutes ago
Mr.Spock son of Serek for President 12 24 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions