Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat Mon MAY 13, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 183 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 13, 2013 12:47:27 AM PDT
Leo Little says:
Welcome to Free books and Chat. come on in and browse through the links there are always lots of free books. Have a seat in our overstuffed chairs and put you feet up on the hassocks as settle yourself in to read the latest treasure you've dredged up out of thousands of free indie publishers or perhaps you were lucky enough to catch one of your favorite well know author's book while it was free.

There's coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the decanters on the counter. On the counter there's a variety of freshly baked jelly and cream filled doughnuts apple fritters and I tripled the order of maple bars because they were so popular. Ice cold milk...whole lowfat skim and soy....is in the fridge beneath.

http://www.freebooksifter.com/?c=11&p=9

Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/ (site currently down, but you can check)

Ereaderiq:
http://www.ereaderiq.com/freebies/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

eReaderPerks:
www.eReaderPerks.com

eReaderLove:
ereaderlove.com

Heidoc:
http://www.heidoc.net/amazon/subscribe.php?department=MYSTHR&sort=TITLE&newtitles=on&GO=GO
(use the dropdown menu at the top to find other categories of Fiction as well as Non-Fiction)

Gizmo's Freeware: List of freebie sites
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/50-places-free-books-online.htm

Direct Amazon search:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?rh=n:154606011,p_36:0-0,p_15=&hidden-keywords=-domain

SEARCH ENGINE:
http://www.jungle-search.com/US/ After the search populates, I sort by publication date to find the new freebies.

Free Kindle Books (www.kebooks.com) Emails. I usually find several freebies treasures from the emails each day.

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links. Or if you've read a previously Free book drop in and tell what you thought of it...

** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

GrammaKathy - Tuesday, May 14 start time around 12:00am ET

Robb - Friday, May 17 start time 11pm PT
Susan - Saturday, May 18 start time by 630 am ET

Leo - Monday, May 20 start time 11:00pm to 12:00am PT
GrammaKathy - Tuesday, May 21 start time around 12:00am ET

Robb - Friday, May 24 start time 11pm PT
Susan - Saturday, May 25 start time by 630 am ET

Open Dates:

Wednesday, May 15
Thursday, May 16
Sunday, May 19
Wednesday, May 22

Thursday, May 23
Sunday, May 26

******************** SEEKING STARTERS ********************

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.
**************** We'll help you through it! ****************

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

For a no frills version, please visit our sister thread Freebie BOOKS - Links Only - No Self Promotion...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg78?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=78&cdThread=Tx21VD4083ZF1LD
*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰❈╮If you would like to find some of our previously posted recipes or to post one of your own...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰❈╮For All things FB&C:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?usp=sharing

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

Yesterday's link
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg5?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=5&cdThread=Tx27GO3I7648SXR

Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To link. *

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?pli=1&docId=1QigQRRmTKo-D-m7frKfKeRGczPZ1chCwvwHQ89yi6m8

Leo

Posted on May 13, 2013 12:48:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2013 12:53:57 AM PDT
Leo Little says:
Story Time

If you missed a chapter, follow the link below.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-uWW3hzMiqhsZnSbzSPs4wMJSrszK2J1mwvsaBlTAE4/edit?usp=sharing

CRYSTAL

I felt the pinch of stone beneath my back as the dawning light filtered through my eyelids. I rolled to my side, wincing as the gravel bit into my soft flesh. My eyes shot open. I was lying on the ground by Tony's truck. Still on my side, I scanned the surrounding area. There was a dilapidated shack its door hanging wide open and slanted like the top hinge had come loose. I shivered as the rest of my body awoke, feeling a cold breeze waft up my skirt. Reaching down to my groin, a sick feeling expanded from the base of stomach filling me with dread as I discovered the cheerleading bloomers I had worn were missing. The last thing I remembered was sitting across from Tony at the Round Table Pizza place.
Another breeze carried with it the scent of blood. I felt the energy within me rise as blue light sheathed my skin in its fiery glow. It was then that I heard a wheezing bubbly sound as if someone or something struggled to breathe.
I grabbed the medallion at my throat thanking the powers that be that it had not been taken from me while I...I still couldn't remember what had happened to me or how I'd gotten here. I stood up and turned finding Tony beneath a large black and tan wolf with blood seeping into the gravelly soil beneath the two. Like the mountain lion who'd killed my grandfather, the wolf changed as I reached for him. A boy I barely recognized from the football team lay in its place, naked and gasping for breath on top of Tony's unmoving body. All sound stopped as instinct carried my spirit into the protective barrier between dimensions.
I called out to the spirits of my grandfather and uncle and they came to me like bolts of lightning, scorching the ground on either side.
Grandfather's spirit passed over the two boys and returned. The human is dead, but the skinwalker still lives. What happened here?
I...I don't know. I can't remember anything since. I went out with Tony after the game...I can't remember anything else.
Uncle Joe's spirit drifted to the shack stopping here and there to search the ground.
He was always a better tracker than me, Grandfather said as he took my hand and faced me. Do not be afraid, Baby Girl. I'm going to pass through your body. I suspect that you were drugged. This will let me find the traces that still remain.
I closed my eyes, feeling a slight tingle pass from front to back. It wasn't cold like I thought it would be. It was more like a warm breeze that lifted all the stress and worry away.
I heard a long sigh as Grandfather's spirit circle back. You were indeed drugged, but your virtue remains intact.
Uncle Joe's spirit returned to my side. The signs tell me you were brought here by the human. The drag marks going into the shack and coming back out tell me you were knocked out. The skinwalker's jeep is parked in the weeds not far from here. He must have followed you here and then changed to his animal form. I found wolf tracks in the weeds and under the window on the other side. A blood trail follows the tracks. .
Are you telling me the skinwalker saved me from being raiped?
Uncle Joe nodded as I knelt beside the boy.
I have to help him.
Do what you must. I have to return to my body before I can come here in person, Uncle Joe replied.
Both spirits disappeared as I reentered earth's dimension and reached inside to draw on the internal energy housed within my womb. The blue nimbus faded replaced by the pink glow of healing that encircled my hands. I touch the skinwalker's mangled and bloody hip, letting my energy seep into every wound, pushing out the lead pellets as it mended his flesh. I tended his shoulder next. There was less damage there, but the boy was so close to death that any open wound could be his end. I felt his heart waver. His pulse raced as it faded to a flutter. I dug deeper inside, forcing the energy from my womb to pass through the marrow of my bones, infusing it with my own blood. The boy's heart responded, its beat growing stronger as its pace slowed to a normal rhythm. It was slow going. I pulled my hands away twice, but was forced to reconnect the healing flow as the boy heart fade when I stopped. As I laid my hands on him the third time I realized I must have missed something inside. I closed my eyes letting my mind flow into the blood stream to the heart. I followed as it flowed in and out through the chambers and finally, back into the body. That's where I found the tiny sliver of lead that sheared off when it hit bone and ricocheted into the main artery that led downward toward his kidneys. I quickly knitted the edges of his artery together and cauterized it with surge of energy.
My vision wavered as weakness washed through my body. My arms felt heavy as I finally let them drop to my sides. Healing energy came from within taking from my own body what the other needed. All other power was channeled from the parallel dimension pure energy.
The skinwalker's heartbeat remained steady, but he shivered in the early morning air. Goosebumps covered his naked body. I lifted my tired body to my feet and stumbled intothe shack, finding an old blanket thrown over a moldy mattress with broken springs poking through the cover. Returning to the boys, I laid the to one side and rolled the skinwalker off of Tony's body, noting the bulging muscles and other attributes of his human form. I felt the warmth of a blush flood my face as he groaned blinking both eyes when I covered his front with the blanket.
He started to rise, but held him down with one hand. "My uncle's coming. You need to rest until he gets here."
He attempted to rise again, and I let him try but he didn't have the strength to do more than roll to one side. "I remember getting shot. Are you the one that healed me?"
I nodded. "I thought your kind and mine were bitter enemies, but you almost died trying to save me. Why did you do that?"
"I'm new to all of this, but John tells me that both our peoples worked toward the same goal of keeping the dragons from entering this dimension."
"Skinwalker's killed my grandfather and tried to kidnap me. In any other circumstance I would have attacked first and ask questions only if you lived long enough to speak."
The boy closed his eyes and I heard a voice in my mind calling out. John I need you. Come in human form.
"What did you just do? Who is John?"
The boy's eyes popped open. "You heard..." His voice died out as he closed his eyes again and the opened them, his gaze holding steady with mine. "John is my mentor. He's skinwalker like me a wolf from the old country. He told me that there is group of skinwalkers who believe the dragons will make them rulers and kings if they help them enter this world. I think they are the one who did you harm."
"Why were you following me last night?"
"Having wolf DNA gives me certain advantages of plain humans. I'd heard Tony boast about his conquests all year and I also overheard one of the girls crying to one of her friends. I couldn't let him do that to you. Not after I saw what you use your powers last night."
A tall man parted the weeds on the far side of the shack, stalking toward us in a steady pace. I drew energy from the other realm, letting its light overfill me, but the man did not slow.
"What happened here?"
We both started to speak and stopped when we heard the other's voice.
"I was speaking to Shane."
My arms faded to a pale blue not much darker than the morning sky. As Uncle Joe pulled up in his minivan and came to my side. "Yes, I would like to hear from the boy as well."
John and Uncle Joe nodded to each other like two chiefs from neighboring tribes. I could tell they respected each other, but trust would have to be earned first.
Shane related the tale bring back the memory of the tumble from atop the pyramid to the drugged drink I was given after I came back from the ladies room. The rest was a blank wall like the memory of my parents. I had seen his injuries, but I still held my breath as Shane related the details. He had risked his three times to keep Tony from taking advantage of my unconscious state. I found myself staring into Shane's golden eyes, as my mind wandered back to the chiseled muscles across his chest and abs. The details of his naked body played over and over until John's voice cut through my daydream.
"So the gate went unguarded?"
Shane's face paled as he nodded. "I thought there'd be time to do both."
John melted into wolf form and I heard a whispered voice in my mind. Tell the Kachina and her spirit warrior that I will return after I've checked the gate. Take them to our home. We will need their help if the gate's been breached.
Shane's mind voice seemed closer, stronger. She can hear our thoughts.
That may help if a dragon has found its way into a human. Kachina Girl, ask your spirit warrior to bring the dead human and his vehicle. Shane will show you to our home.

**************** @ S. King Thanks for helping me with my edits ****************

ETA sorry I didn't have time to send this to Sue, so there will probably be a number of errors.

Posted on May 13, 2013 1:05:17 AM PDT
The Star: Part 1 (Episodes 1-3) by E.C. Richard

Posted on May 13, 2013 1:29:22 AM PDT
Good morning <3

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2013 2:04:41 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Morning Leo - great start, thank you.
I will leave your story to read when I get home, always nice to have something to look forward to. (I hope that Sue is feeling better)

Posted on May 13, 2013 2:53:05 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
bump
seems to be a little quiet here today, please come to the sandbox and play / chat, we are missing you all ♥

Posted on May 13, 2013 3:23:48 AM PDT
Susan says:
Sealed with a Kiss

Kate's dumped on her best friend's wedding day by boring boyfriend Ian. She's mostly cross because he got in first - until she remembers she's now homeless as well as jobless. Faced with moving back home to her ultra-bossy mother, she takes a job on the remote Scottish island of Auchenmor. Her first day starts badly when she falls at the feet of her grouchy new boss, Roddy, Laird of the Island. Unimpressed with her townie ways, he makes it clear she's got something to prove.
Island life has no room for secrets, but prickly Roddy's keeping something to himself. When his bitchy ex girlfriend appears back on the island, Kate's budding friendship with her new boss comes to an abrupt end. What is Fiona planning - and can she be stopped before it's too late?

Posted on May 13, 2013 3:29:09 AM PDT
How to Grow Beans and Peas: Planting and Growing Organic Green Beans, Sugar Snap Peas, and Heirloom Dry Beans and Peas

Namaste Stories Volume 1

Partners: Book #1 - Short Story Prequel for Roll the Dice! (Hot Romance & Powerful Suspense - Vegas Series)

The Doorknob Society (The Doorknob Society Saga Book 1)

Posted on May 13, 2013 3:39:19 AM PDT
Permaculture Chicken: Pasture Basics

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2013 3:40:42 AM PDT
Thank you, I nabbed that one:)

redandwhite, I am back at work and they seem to expect me to *gasp* work!!! So less chatty than usual...

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2013 3:53:39 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ NL - Snap - I am in exactly the same situation - mean aren't they ? :-)

Posted on May 13, 2013 3:54:56 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Hi Susan and Elizabeth
Good to see you here hope that the weekend was good for both of you.
Mine is over :-(

Posted on May 13, 2013 4:00:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2013 4:02:36 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
South to Alaska: A True Story of Courage and Survival from the Heartland of America to the Heart of a Dream by Nancy Owens Barnes (Biographies & Memoirs) (67 Reviews - 4,5 Stars)

Born in the dusty heart of Oklahoma in 1916, ten-year-old Melvin sees a photograph of a cabin in the Alaska wilderness in his fourth-grade geography book and dreams of living there. Nearly fifty years later he builds a 47-foot boat in his Arkansas backyard, launches it on the Arkansas River, and cruises 10,000 miles to Alaska by way of the Panama Canal. Melvin has never been south of the United States/Mexico Border and has never been on a boat in the open ocean.
In South to Alaska, author Nancy Owens Barnes takes readers on two journeys. On one, readers follow a young boy's dream that begins in a one-room, Oklahoma schoolhouse in 1926, and ends decades later on an island in southeast Alaska. On the other, readers become a passenger aboard the Red Dog as it cruises along the Arkansas and Mississippi Rivers to the Gulf of Mexico where, in 1973, Melvin begins a solo journey along the Caribbean coasts of Mexico and Central America, through the Panama Canal, then into the Pacific Ocean to Alaska. Plagued by mechanical problems, international fraud, violent ocean storms, threats of foreign jail, illness and loneliness, Melvin fears a deadly end before reaching the place of his dreams and returning to the woman he loves.
A true story of courage, endurance and survival, South to Alaska chronicles Melvin's 10,000-mile journey through a dangerous world he knows little about, to a world he cannot forget.

(To view the video book trailer for this book, click on "Visit Amazon's Nancy Owens Barnes Page" in the More About the Author section.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2013 4:02:42 AM PDT
*shakes head*

Rude, isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2013 4:03:16 AM PDT
Redandwhite, glad to see you. We had a busy weekend with relatives and friends. Weekends can go so fast. When you retire, everyday can be a Saturday.lol

Leo, great start.

Posted on May 13, 2013 4:09:17 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Ooh Elizabeth, you have no idea how much I am looking forward to retirement, never thought that I would be feeling this way, but I do.

Posted on May 13, 2013 4:34:04 AM PDT
Redandwhite, I was there so I know how you feel but it's worth the wait.

Posted on May 13, 2013 5:03:51 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
One Last Great Wickedness by David Stansfield (Literary Fiction) (32 Reviews - 4,4 Stars)

A middle-aged Englishman, whose father committed suicide when the man was thirteen years old, comes across some letters his father had sent from the trenches of World War One. Certain words and phrases in these letters reveal a side of his father he had never suspected when he was growing up. This sends him on a quest to find out more about his father's life.

As he digs deeper and deeper into his family's past, he uncovers a world he realizes he had never understood, could never even have imagined. Just beneath the surface of the apparently quiet, civilized, well-bred world of the family he had known as a child, there was a completely different reality, a parallel universe of suppressed loves and hates, sexual deviations and appallingly violent actions, involving not only his parents and grandparents and the rest of his family, but also himself.

Posted on May 13, 2013 5:46:22 AM PDT
We almost dropped out of the first page here, guys, where are you?

Posted on May 13, 2013 6:14:07 AM PDT
Morning, I just woke up... I actually slept all night... and most of the day yesterday...
The plans have all been made for the make-up vacation trip..
Branson Mo. I have never been there.. We have tickets for three shows and also for Silver Dollar City...
We talked about stopping by the town I was born in on the way home.. It will only be about 40 miles out of the way.
I have never been to my grandparents final resting place so that might be a thing to do since we will be so close...

Posted on May 13, 2013 6:17:01 AM PDT
Elizabeth, Your kindness has found my inbox and my growing library.... Thank-you for the book that you sent.. I have put it on my TBR list and look forward to reading it..
Sandy

Posted on May 13, 2013 6:21:21 AM PDT
Good morning/afternoon/etc,
Hope everyone's having a good day. I'm fighting the urge to turn into a stress monster. I have an end of year progress review by my committee on wednesday.. my advisor said 'np, just know everything about everything!' (haha)... I feel like going to bed and pulling the duvet over my head...

Had some freebies from my list turn up today...
The Doorknob Society (The Doorknob Society Saga Book 1)
Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire #1)
BLOODSTAIN (Det. Jason Strong #2 (CLEAN SUSPENSE)) (other parts previously offered free)
WIRED
Fiddleback (apparently VERY graphic, I 1-clicked, but not sure if I will be reading it, caveat emptor)...
SPIDER BITES (A Romantic Thriller) (Spider Series) (apparently erotica/thriller/mystery, have not read it (yet))
SPIDER BITES II ( A Martina 'Spider' Spalding Thriller ) (Spider Series) (second part)(have not read (yet))
Secrets (The Michelli Family Series Book #1): A Novel

Finished a couple of library e-books:
**NOT free** Decked (Regan Reilly) **NOT free** Found it scattered and unfocused... plotting was fairly slow and a lot of tortured dialogue. The married couple on their second honeymoon are just painful and pasted in as is the requisite trendy gay couple. That sounds way more negative than my feelings about the book though. It definitely was readable and pleasant, if somewhat unfocused and bland. I finished it a couple days ago and I'm very hard pressed to remember more than a handful of the characters. I would call it 3+ or 4 stars... readable, inoffensive, 'waiting room' reading. Beats picking up a 6 month old magazine whilst waiting for the dentist to get to you... NOT one for the 'keep forever' shelf though. Not sure I'll be chasing down any further books in the series.

and

**NOT free** Mind Over Murder (A Raven's Nest) **NOT free**
Again, bland... disappointing development... had little glimmers of a paranormal element (protagonist supposedly has 'the Quinn Sense'... some sort of clairvoyant/telepathic/lie detector thing... which isn't developed and really could've been removed from the entire book without any ramifications...was just there for annoyance factor).. The story was well written, fairly straightforward (the mean spirited would call it hackneyed and formulaic), the murder victim was 'appealingly awful'/everyone hated her... so when she gets conked on the head a few pages into the book, she's a prop, not a character, which is something I like about cozy mysteries...
My main complaint about the book is that to get to the denouement, the author broke just about every rule of Mystery Writers' Code of Fair Play there is. That's ok too, I guess.. it was just annoying (authors aren't supposed to straight out LIE unless they're using unreliable narration which didn't apply here)... but the literal last line made me want to throw my kindle. Ok, not REALLY... but almost. Yeesh.

Again, don't think I'll be picking up any further installments. If you want exceptionally bland time-filler, this one could be a contender... otherwise... 'meh'

Note: I'm a stress monster right now, and probably about 10 million times b*tchier than normal ^^ YMMV... (but what I said stands.. they're both really bland, really 'ok', not offensive, but not 'WOW, YOU HAVE TO READ THIS' type books).

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2013 6:27:13 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Morning Sandy - you obviously really needed to have that sleep - you have been overtaxing yourself for such a long time, that is why we are all so pleased that you are going to be able to have the break, it all sounds quite exciting, must be fun planning at all, and the anticipation ......

Posted on May 13, 2013 6:30:05 AM PDT
Lyn says:
Red
I don't understand this one from you last night.

http://www.busybeingfabulous.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Quote.jpg

Aren't they just fruits? Apples and blackberries make a wonderful crumble. A little Byrd's Custard over it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2013 6:31:02 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ Annie B.
I am sure that you will do fine, it is usually un-necessary to worry too much in advance, and the night before you need to go to bed early with a good book, snuggle under your duvet and do positive thinking, so that you are fresh and bright, ready to answer anything they throw at you.
Believe in yourself - you can do it. ♥
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  183
Initial post:  May 13, 2013
Latest post:  May 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions