Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books & Chat - Monday 9th June, 2014

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 82 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2014 11:56:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2014 1:57:02 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Welcome to FREE Books and Chat - Monday 9th June, 2014
I invite you pull up a comfy chair and come in and chat with us awhile, and help this to be a really wonderful

. . . ⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰ . . .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ MARVELOUS MONDAY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
. . . ⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰ . . .

╰♥.☆.♥╮Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. - Marcel Proust

╰♥.☆.♥╮ The gods too are fond of a joke. - Aristotle

Business before pleasure:

SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.
You are welcome to join us for conversation.
However, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. If you're looking to promote your work, please go to the "Meet Our Authors" thread, many of us check there as well.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

.........THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES..............

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 11:58:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2014 12:19:39 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
★★ Links To Free Book Resources ★★

http://ereaderiq.com/freebies/
dailyfreebooks.com
www.eReaderPerks.com
ereaderlove.com
freereadfeed.com
(customisable -Top Left "Found free since" and Top right "View Genres" click "Pick from a list" )
Heidoc:
http://www.heidoc.net/amazon/subscribe.php?department=MYSTHR&sort=TITLE&newtitles=on&GO=GO
(use the dropdown menu at the top to find other categories of Fiction as well as Non-Fiction)
Gizmo's Freeware: List of freebie sites
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/50-places-free-books-online.htm
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/50-places-free-books-online.htm
http://www.freebooksifter.com
http://freebooksy.com/
Search Engine:
http://www.jungle-search.com/US/ After the search populates, I sort by publication date to find the new freebies.
To Search Amazon directly for Freebies:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?rh=n:154606011,p_36:0-0,p_15=&hidden-keywords=-domain
In left-hand column, selections for genres can be made.
To find Amazon Best Sellers in Kindle eBooks Top 100 Free
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-eBooks/zgbs/digital-text/154606011/ref=zg_bs_fvp_p_f_154606011?_encoding=UTF8&tf=1
In lefthand column, selections for genres can be made.

You are strongly urged to confirm the price of the book before completing your purchase.
The price displayed on Amazon's website at the time of purchase is the price of the book.

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

╰❈╮ If the conversation is not your thing please visit the thread: Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgID=Mx3TY07IMPITOSO&cdMsgNo=2608&cdPage=105&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3NJBSGNX181US#Mx3TY07IMPITOSO

╰❈╮Link to the FB&C Group Cookbook thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

★☆★ Everything FB&C
╰❈╮ Bios / Birthdays and Anniversaries / Starter Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To Link and more:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?usp=sharing

╰❈╮Link To Yesterday's Thread (Saturday and Sunday, June 7 & 8, 2014) . . .

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1CL7677ZT6HBV

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 11:59:22 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

(¯`v´¯)
.`*.¸.*´ ★
¸.*´.*´¨) ¸.*¨)
(¸.*´(¸.*´ (¸.*¨¯`* ♥ FB&C Start Schedule:

⊱✿⊰ ~~~ NEW THREAD STARTERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME ~~~ ⊱✿⊰

Snowlady Sandy- Tuesday, June 10... about that time...
small.black.cat - Wednesday, June 11, start time around 10 p.m. EDT
Snowlady Sandy- Friday, June 13... also about the time...
Tippetarius Saturday June 14 and Sunday June 15...start Friday after 10pm EDT
Snowlady Sandy- Tuesday, June 17... also about the time.
Snowlady Sandy- Friday, June 20... also about the time...

.✿. Open Dates:

Thursday, June 12
Monday, June 16
Wednesday, June 18
Thursday, June 19
Saturday June 21
Sunday June 22

⊱✿⊰ ~~~ NEW THREAD STARTERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME ~~~ ⊱✿⊰

Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.

************** We'll help you through it! **************

☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 11:59:51 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰♥.☆.♥╮ FB&C Book Discussion ╰♥.☆.♥╮

The next book discussion seems to have been re- scheduled for Thursday, June 12th, 2014 at 6:00pm PT.

The book selected is Beatrice Munson by Lorena Bathey

Unfortunately, it is NOT FREE right now but it is lending enabled.

☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 12:00:13 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮
We don't have any FB&C birthdays or anniversaries on the chart for today.
So if today is your special day, please speak up and let us know.
✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 12:00:37 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
╰♥.☆.♥╮ Question of the Day ╰♥.☆.♥╮

How do you keep track of your books, series and reading ?

Do you use your Kindle, Amazon, Shelfari, Goodreads, LibraryThing, Excel or spreadsheet, or something else ?

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 1:03:22 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
(^_^) Senior Thoughts (^_^)

---My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

--- Know how to prevent sagging? Just eat till the wrinkles fill out.

---I've still got it, but nobody wants to see it.

---I'm getting into swing dancing. Not on purpose. Some parts of my body are just prone to swinging.

---It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffeemaker.

---These days about half the stuff in my shopping cart says, "For fast relief."

---Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches.

---Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back up!

--- Remember: You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing.

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 2:30:20 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
One that may appeal to many of us - though I am not sure how long it will stay free - so hurry if you are interested - strangely it has no reviews but masses of lovely photos to drool over and a searchable index of the recipes

The Bible of Chocolate: 500 Chocolate Recipes to Die For by M. Douglas

Possibly chocolate is the most popular food product of all times. The attraction caused in most people is undeniable as there are its many beneficial properties for our health. Over the years, chocolate has been the object of numerous studies which have shown the multiple benefits of the cocoa plant like the fact that the chocolate reduces the risk of suffering from strokes and cardiovascular failures or how it can protect our skin against the solar damage or keep our brain alerted thanks to its contain in flavoids.

This book offers you a large selection of these recipes that will make your day while making you win many points in the eyes of your children.

Try some of the 500 recipes explained in this truly Bible of Chocolate and enjoy it!!

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 3:07:47 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
This is one I bought back in March and is definitely moving to the top of my TBR List

Letters To My Mother by Rebecca Heath

We were reaching the Student Union when Dr. Rosenau broke the silence. "You know, I never eat young ladies on Fridays. Only on Tuesdays."
I couldn't help laughing. "Do I look that apprehensive?"
"Yes, rather." He opened the door for me. "But I have just the cure for you. It's David Rosenau's patented shyness remedy, strawberry shortcake garnished with whipped cream, to be taken at least once weekly in charming company. Doctor's orders."

Kate is a college junior, a gifted student who skipped two grades in school, a naval officer's daughter who's lived in more places than she can remember. Shy and bookish, she's never had a boyfriend, let alone been kissed or gone on a date. Kate thinks falling in love is something that only happens to other girls.

David is a college professor, a sailor, a brilliant scientist trapped in a failed marriage; aloof and reclusive, he buries himself in teaching and research. David's convinced he'll go through life with an empty heart.

When Kate gets a campus job as David's typist, they discover they're both mistaken.

Letters To My Mother is the story of a May-December romance set in 1950s Seattle.

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 3:57:49 AM PDT
Good morning, red! You always provide such lovely starts to my day, whether you are starting the daily thread or embellishing one started earlier. I, and my inner child who plays with far too many matches, thank you!

Lots of FB&Cers checked in yesterday. How terrific. I hope a few more pop by in the days to come, if only to let us know that they are still alive and well.

I am adding lots of folks to my prayer list . . . I may not know their names, but that doesn't matter. My heart aches for Grammiam's friends, while giving thanks that they have the help she is able to offer, but also for the military wife in my neighboring state. I read once that cancer strikes one in three of us. That seems far too high, until days like these when I hear of one after another who is fighting it.

I'm trying to put my Kindle on a diet while I organize my electronic library, but then someone like redandwhite posts something like The Bible of Chocolate, and we both yield to temptation.

To answer red's question, I have tried a few things but what seems to be the best method so far is the Book Collections app because it lets me create as many folders as I want, and create folders within folders (and within folders, if I want). It's not perfect. For one thing, the icon looks exactly like the free version so it is hard to tell which is which. It would be better if the paid version imported what I had organized in the free version. My other trick is to delete everything from my carousel except those books which I have not yet scanned into the app and those that I intend to read in the next couple of days or weeks. My current book goes into Favorites, so it doesn't get lost behind new books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:25:07 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Morning Plays
Good to see you and all of your very good comments, I hope that the day is a good one for you with just the right amount of water, heat and humidity.

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 4:27:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2014 4:53:56 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
I too enjoyed catching up with the posters on yesterday's thread, though of course I still miss so many, I am wondering whether my start has been tooo long for Mieko* and if so then I do apologise and hope that is enough to get her to call in. Missing dinkyd and small.black.cat hope all is going well with you all.

It would be wonderful if we heard from Oregon Dreamer and Oregon Fiddler it has been quite a while and we do have a tendency to worry when we don't hear from folk, and Terry too and it is such a long time since we have heard anything from KayKay and Nospin and Printemps and Charlie-bird - this of course is mentioning only some of those I am missing since as I said earlier, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 4:38:55 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
To answer the Question of the Day myself, I can say that I import all my books into Shelfari and can sort them well there according to the tags I have given them, I love Shelfari but feel that it is sad that the upkeep of the site seems to be waning.

I also keep a detailed Excel sheet where I have titles, covers, authors, read not read and a synopsis together with ASIN numbers.

Ammy is also very helpful showing me the yellow banners when I am tempted to re-buy a book though not when they turn up in a newer edition and I can no longer find my edition on the site - annoying that but at least I have them on my kindle and kindle for pc and kindle for android, yes use them all LOL.

I am not liking the new Manage My Kindle which is now called something else, I miss the covers showing, though must say that the searching is much better than before. and I also keep my 'Your Books' page updated
https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading/0/0/1

Also since I am a member of Audible I really love the Matchmaker - Amazon - Find Audible books for your kindle books
https://www.amazon.com/gp/audible/matchmaker?ie=UTF8&ref_=kics_hp_dp_lm

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 4:40:36 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Cape Cursed by Janice Palko

Bliss Sherman doesn't believe in curses-that is until she arrives at Cape Destiny, North Carolina. Bliss comes to the cape determined to make a name for herself and her new firm by accomplishing an incredible engineering feat-moving the Cape Destiny Lighthouse inland before it's swallowed by the Atlantic Ocean.

Bliss, who has struggled with dyslexia, discrimination, and betrayal by her ex-husband and former business partner, Jonathan, faces her greatest challenge when she falls in love with the handsome, mysterious descendant of the lighthouse keepers, Parker Swain, who is vehemently opposed to the lighthouse's move.

When Bliss is targeted, she begins to wonder if the curse that is rumored to be attached to the lighthouse may be true. Who is sabotaging her dream? Who is trying to harm her? Who wants to kill her? When all clues point to Parker, she dismisses her suspicions, deciding to trust him and her heart, but as the evidence mounts against Parker, she begins to doubt not only herself and her heart, but Parker.

Can she trust her judgment? Can she trust Parker? Most importantly, when she is trapped inside the lighthouse with him, can she trust Parker with her life?

A romantic suspense with all the seaside moody romance of du Maurier's Rebecca and the spine-tingling thrills that will make you draw the covers up closer as you read late into the night, Cape Cursed casts a spell of sensuous deception and seductive danger.

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 5:09:16 AM PDT
Good morning all! Popping in to say hi! Thanks for starting, Red! :) I list my books that I've read in the notepad in my iPhone and iPad as I finish them. I number every 5 at the end of the title. I also use Goodreads. I use it to keep track of what I've read and what I what I want to read. I love seeing what my friends are reading in the feed. It gives me good ideas of books to read. It's interesting to see how they've rated books compared to how I've rated them. This is the 2nd year I've done the Reading Challenge. You set a goal as to how many books you want to read during the year. It keeps track of how you're doing towards your goal. You can revise it at any time. I also use Goodreads to help me figure out the order of books in a series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 6:27:53 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Hi Lenora
I do hope that today is a better day for you and that you are not too sleepy or headachy.

Ooh goodness I could not set and keep to a reading goal, I read so slowly, I have such great hopes of reading masses and then ... well it doesn't always happen, but Shelfari also keeps a track of that for me, sometimes I check mostly I don't LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 6:32:35 AM PDT
I just had to take my migraine med. not feeling so good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 6:46:59 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ Lenora
I do hope it kicks in quickly, perhaps you should take yourself back to bed, I expect it is the change in your meds that is affecting you - hope it passes quickly.

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 7:23:37 AM PDT
Good morning all :) Thank you for the start redandwhite. I import all of my books to Shelfari for an overall picture of my collection, and I keep track there of what I have read. I also use Goodreads as a more compact version of only the books that I have read.

From my watchlist:
Lightwood (Lightwood History Collection) - Brainard Cheney - Historical Fiction
The Redemption (Michael Gallagher Mystery Series Book 3) - Patrick Hurley - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

Other picks this morning:
The Time Traveler's Boyfriend - Annabelle Costa - Romance
ROCK MY WORLD: a ghostly romance - Julie Shackman - PN Romance

And I'm off to work!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 7:31:08 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Waving to Donna
I just can't imagine trying to keep a check on the amount of books that you have, and yet you still find things on your wishlist every day, so impressive - are you a fast reader as well as a fast 1-clicker ?

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 7:47:11 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Just going to expand on one of Donna's choices

The Time Traveler's Boyfriend by Annabelle Costa

From beloved author Annabelle Costa...

Claudia's geeky boyfriend Adam has just invented a time machine.

No, really-he has. She doesn't believe it either until Adam provides her with definitive proof that he does, in fact, have a functioning time travel device sitting in the living room of his Manhattan brownstone.

But instead of getting ready to accept the Nobel Prize, Adam has very different plans for his groundbreaking invention. He wants Claudia to use the machine to travel back in time and stop the accident that landed him in a wheelchair over a decade ago, and prevent the trajectory of events that he believes ruined his life.

When Claudia reluctantly agrees to become the first human time traveler, she knows she's making a big gamble. If she succeeds, she could have the happy ending with commitment-phobic Adam that she's always dreamed of. But if she fails, it could mean the end of the universe as she knows it.

Other Books From Annabelle Costa...
* The Boy Next Door
* Harvard Hottie

(Images in the text may not show up correctly on mobile devices)

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
Harvard Hottie by Annabelle Costa

When nerdy, unhip Ellie Jenson meets rich, handsome Luke Thayer the Third as freshmen at Harvard University, it's Hate At First Sight. Ellie loathes Luke's smirk and superior attitude, and decides if she never sees him again, it will be too soon.

Fifteen years later, Ellie gets the surprise of her life: Luke is her new boss and owner of her company! But when Ellie discovers that Luke was paralyzed in an accident and is now in a wheelchair, she wonders if it's possible to be friends with this new, down-to-earth version of her former foe. Or maybe even more than friends, if Luke gets his way...

Please note, this is NOT a Christian romance. It has a keyword of inspirational because it is an inspirational story of love overcoming disability. Putting it in the "Inspirational" category was done by Amazon, not the publisher.

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 8:07:28 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
I was just checking my evening TV programme and discovered that Rudi-puss and I will be watching the following

The Secret Life of the Cat - Documentary
What your cat really gets up to when it leaves the cat flap?
In a groundbreaking experiment, 50 cats from a village in Surrey are tagged with GPS collars and their every movement is recorded, day and night, as they hunt in our backyards and patrol the garden fences and hedgerows.

Cats are fitted with specially developed cat-cams which reveal their unique view of our world.
You may think you understand your pet, but their secret life is more surprising than we thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqbx0r7-oI

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 8:43:11 AM PDT
robb says:
Red thank you for taking the start. I had thought to take it, but I gave you too long :)

I was going to start it because it is National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day - a favorite pie of mine though technically it would be a strawberry rhubarb custard pie for me.

June 9 of each year celebrates National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day. Years ago, when home gardening was more common, strawberry rhubarb pie was a popular summer dessert in many households. The sweet/tart combination makes for a delicious pie that is loved by many.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 8:59:24 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Oooh Robb, I hope that you are going to share after you have done your baking ;-)

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 9:05:52 AM PDT
Oooh, and that you will bake a gluten-free one for some of us!

red, that show looks interesting to me, and I seldom watch anything other than baseball and football.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2014
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions