Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Is Google Music App available in Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2011 4:18:44 PM PST
Is Google Music App available in Kindle Fire?

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 4:30:51 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 1:14:16 PM PST
Garrett says:
At this point the only thing you can do is side load it, it's not available in the app store yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 8:32:31 PM PST
Kimmy says:
Gee what a rude lil brat...

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 10:29:08 PM PST
The app no, but you can still access streaming via the google music URL. Have had mixed results going this route. The controls and streaming can be a bit kludgy.

Or, you can upload your music to Amazon's Cloud drive. 5GB of space free.
If you purchase a space upgrade you get unlimited space for music. I went this route $20yr for 20GB of storage for docs videos and music files, like I said unlimited space for music you upload. And the added controls with the Cloud player make it much better than using the Google Music mobile website. The cloud player gives you the options to stream or download.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 1:41:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2011 8:29:24 AM PST
John K says:
In my experience: Side-loaded App Yes (but No for cloud access), Web Yes.

Google Music on the web, "music.google.com", DOES work, here's an update.
I found what I was doing wrong.
In built-in browser, Silk, in Settings, Desktop or mobile view, select - Mobile: Optimize for mobile view.

BTW, this also allowed Gmail web interface in the browser to work well, too.

--------------------------------------
The app is not in Amazon App store. I side-loaded from Android phone, where I had installed it from Android Market and installed on Kindle Fire. The side-loaded app runs fine on the Kindle Fire; but, it cannot access music from my Google Music account in cloud. It's a functional player for music already on the Kindle Fire. But then, you don't need Google Music App for that. The Fire already has a music app.

I tried accessing via web browser at music.google.com. On the Kindle Fire using either the built-in web browser or Dolphin HD the Google Music page is broken. I have uploaded lots of music and the Google Music page for my library can't be scrolled! On a proper computer you can see that the way to scroll down thru your music list is by using the scroll bar on the right hand side of the page. This is not a browser scroll bar, but a control that is part of the Google Music page itself. On the Kindle Fire, the scroll bar is not visible with either browser. So there is no way to scroll down! [Problem solved! See update above.]

I tried viewing the Google Music web site via a browser on my Android phone for comparison, but on the phone, the page won't even load -- gives a not enough storage error. The Google Music App from Market works fine on the phone; but, via the browser doesn't work at all.

Patience.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 8:28:52 PM PST
Tom McGraw says:
I sideloaded the Google app and it can play music that is on my Google Cloud.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 10:35:09 PM PST
Really? How do I "Side load" the app??

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 11:00:35 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 11:23:46 PM PST
Well, it IS Xmas season; they could be nice!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 2:12:51 AM PST
they'd be naughty towards their shareholders...

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 5:19:13 AM PST
art says:
I am able to play my google music using the app as well.

BrotherRon, sideloading the app is as simple as getting the .apk file for the app onto your fire and using a file browser like ES file explorer (free in amazon appstore) to install it. GETTING the apk is not always easy unless you have another Android device. Google will reveal lots of methods for doing this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 8:44:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2011 8:48:09 AM PST
John K says:
"Tom McGraw says:
I sideloaded the Google app and it can play music that is on my Google Cloud." Dec 6, 2011

How were you able to provide the app with your Google account username and password? I could not find any place in the app itself to do that. On an Android phone it gets it from the OS. Kindle Fire has no associated Google account, it's associated with your Amazon account. Without the Google account credentials, it can't access your music in the cloud. So how'd you get it to work?

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 10:25:28 AM PST
art says:
I think the easiest way is to sideload the gmail app, which prompts you for your google acct, and then that is used across google apps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 1:15:05 PM PST
John K says:
Is this a suggestion of something to try? Or are you reporting that you have done this and it works? If you have actually done this successfully, can you provide details of how you entered your Google account credentials?

My experience: side-loading Gmail app did not work. Wouldn't run on my Kindle Fire.

As per your post, I side-loaded and installed the Gmail app. It does not run on my Kindle Fire. After installing, if I tap on the app to run it, a black error screen briefly slides into view then immediately disappears before there's time to actually read it (maybe 100 msecs?) It seems to say something about this phone not being configured to sync with a Google account and says to go to Accounts > Settings > ... Of course there is no such place on a Fire.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 11:39:46 PM PST
art says:
Well, I was trying to remember exactly what I did that was successful... or what parts of what I did would actually be necessary. Because I actually installed the Android Market -- which has a lot of other steps -- and installed gmail through there rather than sideloading it.

I'm not sure if you need the Google services framework apk installed first, or if that was only necessary for the market. I have a feeling it's necessary for gmail.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 7:29:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2011 7:34:58 PM PST
A. Paxson says:
Okay, I found the apk file here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1350164

now...what directory on my kindle fire to I put it? How do I launch it from within the Kindle Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 7:49:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2011 7:49:52 PM PST
John K says:
For the "sideload" part of your question: Google "kindle sideload" for lots of info on how to do that.

As for the app part, Amazon just released update 6.2.1 for the Kindle Fire which, they say, opens access to Android Market. Maybe Google Music App is now available there and all this sideloading stuff is moot. I'm updating my Kindle Fire as I type this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 2:47:17 PM PST
Why do you waste your time with a response that only wastes the time of those who read it? Do you think we will admire how clever you are?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 1 day ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 9 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Why do I need wifi on my Paperwhite just to purchase books? 35 5 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 8852 7 minutes ago
New credit card number 3 9 minutes ago
May Informal Poll--What are you reading 440 16 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 3837 17 minutes ago
Kinle Books Not Downloading 3 18 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 7617 20 minutes ago
Default Payment to Gift Card 8 32 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions