Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Free Books and Chat - Friday June 6, 2014

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2014 12:15:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2014 12:24:37 AM PDT
Welcome to Free Books and Chat for Friday, June 6, 2014.

I hope that everybody has a chance to drop by and sit for a spell..
That goes for lurkers as well as our regular posters.. We do LOVE to make new friends.....

Now, down to business....

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.

You are welcome to join us for conversation.
However, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. If you're looking to promote your work, please go to the "Meet Our Authors", many of us check there as well.

.........THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES..............

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

★★ Links To Free Book Resources ★★

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

Ereaderiq:
http://ereaderiq.com/freebies/

eReaderPerks:
www.eReaderPerks.com

FreeReadFeed:
freereadfeed.com

You are strongly urged to confirm the price of the book before completing your purchase.
The price displayed on Amazon's website at the time of purchase is the price of the book.

╰❈╮Link to the FB&C Group Cookbook thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰❈╮Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To Link:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?usp=sharing

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

Old News.. AKA Yesterdays Thread..
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx2YJ0TOWJ8EWGF

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 12:16:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2014 12:23:31 AM PDT
(¯`v´¯)
.`*.¸.*´ ★
¸.*´.*´¨) ¸.*¨)
(¸.*´(¸.*´ (¸.*¨¯`* ♥ FB&C Start Schedule:

Susan - Saturday and Sunday, June 7 & 8, start time 10pm EDT
redandwhite - Monday, June 9 - start time around midnight PDT
Snowlady Sandy- Tuesday, June 10... about that time...
small.black.cat - Wednesday, June 11, start time around 10 p.m. EDT
Snowlady Sandy- Friday, June 13... also about the time...
Tippetarius Saturday June 14 and Sunday June 15...start Friday after 10pm EDT
Snowlady Sandy- Tuesday, June 17... also about the time.
Snowlady Sandy- Friday, June 20... also about the time...

★.☆.★ Open Dates ★.☆.★

Thursday, June 12
Monday, June 16
Wednesday, June 18
Thursday, June 19
Saturday June 21
Sunday June 22

★.☆.★ NEW THREAD STARTERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME ★.☆.★

Just choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.

We'll help you through it.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 12:18:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2014 12:36:19 AM PDT
⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰ . ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰

FB&C Book Discussion
I guess the idea is to reschedule for Thursday, June 12 , 2014 at 6:00pm PT.

The book selected is Beatrice Munson by Lorena Bathey

Unfortunately, it is NOT FREE right now but it is lending enabled.

. ⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰ . ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰

ok I just looked back at some old e-mails and regarding the book discussion...
In March Terry wasn't able to host and KayKay stepped up and hosted the discussion..
We did it on the night it was scheduled..
Since we didn't do it tonight I would suggest that we do it next week on Thursday...

Last year we did a Nomination Thread in Sept. and then restarted the book discussion in Oct..
That seemed to work very well so do the same this year would be my suggestion...

What do ya all think?

A good book can take you anywhere anytime.... Ann Key

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 12:25:16 AM PDT
A man came home from work and found his 5 children outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn around garden, The door of his wife's car was open, as was the front door to the house and no sign of the dog, walking in the door, he found ...an even bigger mess. A lamp had been knocked over, the throw rug was against one wall, In the front room the TV was on loudly with the cartoon channel, the family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing. In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the counter, the fridge door was open wide, dog food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door. He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried she might be ill, or that something serious had happened. He was met with a small trickle of water as it made its way out the bathroom door. As he peered inside he found wet towels, scummy soap and more toys strewn over the floor. Miles of toilet paper lay in a heap and toothpaste had been smeared over the mirror and walls. As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife still curled up in the bed in her pajamas, reading a novel... She looked up at him, smiled and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, 'What happened here today?' She again smiled and answered, 'You know every day when you come home from work and you ask me what in the world do I do all day?...
''Yes," was his incredulous reply..
She answered, 'Well, today I didn't do it.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 12:26:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2014 12:56:27 AM PDT
(¯`v´¯)
.`*.¸.*´ ★
¸.*´.*´¨) ¸.*¨)
(¸.*´(¸.*´ (¸.*¨¯`* ♥.....FRIDAY QUESTION.....

Suze is off for her family vacation to the beach so keeping with the vacation theme
Where would you go for vacation?
Anyplace at all...
Money and time off work is not to be a consideration...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2014 1:02:40 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ Sandy
Thank you for your start today - loved that story, I wonder how many of us have wanted to do that, or in fact wondering how many of us actually have done it LOL

Concerning the book discussion I think rescheduling for Thursday, June 12 , 2014 at 6:00pm PT sounds like a good idea, it will give us a week to sort out the situation, and give me time to actually finish the book, slow as usual.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2014 1:04:53 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Friday Question
I would like to go to Donna's island - for a long spell - it would be fantastic to be able to meet up with all of the posters that I have met here - it would be an incredible experience

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 1:31:13 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
in Polyester Pajamas by Catherine Dougherty

When women talk, they talk about EVERYTHING . . .

Jean and Rosie, opposites in every way, are dealing with different aspects of their lives when they find themselves working side-by-side in the same real estate company. Despite reluctance, they also find themselves teaming up for some new mid-life adventures filled with excitement, romance and plenty of drama.

As they become better acquainted, a friendship begins to form. They laugh, cry, and even fight together. Until finally, during a slumber party and while sporting polyester pajamas, they entrust their lives completely to each other and share their deepest, darkest secrets.

Through it all, they discover how truly wonderful having a best friend, at any age, can be. If you've ever had or needed a best friend, have wondered what life was all about, have been ashamed of something you've done in the past, or if you've ever lost someone you loved with all of your heart, then you MUST read this book!

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 3:27:22 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
The Murder at Sissingham Hall (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #1) by Clara Benson

***LIMITED-TIME OFFER! This weekend ONLY, to celebrate the giveaway of The Murder at Sissingham Hall, we are also offering the rest of the Angela Marchmont series for a special price of $0.99 (normal price $3.99). Get The Mystery at Underwood House, The Treasure at Poldarrow Point and The Riddle at Gipsy's Mile at a special, limited time discount!***

On his return from South Africa, Charles Knox is invited to spend the weekend at the country home of Sir Neville Strickland, whose beautiful wife Rosamund was once Knox's fiancee. But in the dead of night Sir Neville is murdered. Who did it? As suspicion falls on each of the house guests in turn, Knox finds himself faced with deception and betrayal on all sides, and only the enigmatic Angela Marchmont seems to offer a solution to the mystery. This 1920s whodunit will delight all fans of traditional country house murder stories.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 3:55:24 AM PDT
Waving to red and Sandy!

I had been waiting for the Clara Benson -- MRR announced yesterday that ereaderIQ had alerted her it was going to be free -- so I snapped it up immediately.

I'm off to feed the horses, as I want to ride early this morning. Today's forecast high: 90 degrees. Currently, it's about 80 with 100 percent humidity. It's already stinkin' hot, and the sun is just about to rise.

Mr. Dirt and I were forced to cancel one dream trip to Hawaii, but right now, I don't want to go anywhere warm. I'll be thinking about my answer while I ride.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 4:04:19 AM PDT
Sally in SA says:
Morris, an 82 year-old man, went to the doctor to get a physical.
A few days later, the doctor saw Morris walking down the street with a gorgeous young woman on his arm.
A couple of days later, the doctor spoke to Morris and said, 'You're really doing great, aren't you?'
Morris replied, 'Just doing what you said, Doc: 'Get a hot mamma and be cheerful.''
The doctor said, 'I didn't say that.. I said, 'You've got a heart murmur; be careful.'

One more. . .!

A little old man shuffled slowly into an ice cream parlour and pulled himself slowly, painfully, up onto a stool... After catching his breath, he ordered a banana split.
The waitress asked kindly, 'Crushed nuts?'
'No,' he replied, 'Arthritis.'

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 5:41:26 AM PDT
Golfer Girl says:
Good morning all!
Thanks for the start Sandy!
Today in New England is going to be a picture perfect day wish I could have taken the day off !!

My answer to the Friday question - first I would like to join everyone on Donna's island !! second choice would be St. Kitts (of course to play golf LOL) and third would be Italy

Hope everyone is having a great day! I will check in later

Roberta

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 7:18:47 AM PDT
Good morning all :) Thank you for the start Sandy.
Wow, so excited to have everyone to the island! My second choice - a Carribean FB&C cruise, so we can stop at a variety of places.

Some book picks before work:
Sergeant Tom's War - C. G. Richardson - Historical Fiction
The Merry Pranked - David Rusk - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
The Alternates - Christopher Douglas - Action/Adventure
Hacker For Hire (Ted Higuera Series Book 2) - Pendelton Wallace - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Going Upside Down - Elise Williams - Contemporary Fiction
The Hairdresser: (Psychological thriller) - Natasha A. Salnikova - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Settling Old Scores - Mike Sposs - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Girl Unbroken: A Novel of Redemption - Allison Mackey - Inspirational Fiction
Moving Forward - Emily R. Pearson - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Towards the Shore: A Novel - Kris Holloway - Contemporary Fiction

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 7:30:22 AM PDT
Good day everyone!

Thanks for the start Sandy!

I would like to go on a photo safari in South Africa. And I would be sure to make time to meet Sally (assuming she would want to see me of course, LOL). Alternate would be Turkey and parts of the Holy Land.

I am scheduled for a series of meetings today at a school district to decide on continuing services for several of the kids I work with. But the school is on lockout. So I am in my car and the meetings are being done by conference calls. One bonus is people keep their participation shorter than when the meeting is in person.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 7:33:48 AM PDT
Today is the anniversary of D Day. My Dad did not participate there but was in the Battle of the Bulge. We were able to get him to the WWII memorial in Washington in a wheel chair a couple years before he passed. Very moving. Anyone been there?

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 7:43:39 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Day of the Bone Thief by Rick Mofina

DAY OF THE BONE THIEF is Rick Mofina's largest anthology to date with 11 compelling tales of short crime fiction, featuring four stories gathered in one volume for the first time.

The collection starts with "Day of the Bone Thief", a story of greed and calculation arising from Alberta's badlands. It's followed by "Innocent Victim", the case of a woman overwhelmed with guilt over an unbelievable tragedy. In "Go For Broke", two strangers, desperate for different reasons, come together in small town. In the next tale, "They Always Came at Night", an aging man reflects on the majestic beauty of his remote cabin and the secret events that took place there.

DAY OF THE BONE THIEF also includes the gripping stories found in Rick Mofina's two earlier collections, DANGEROUS WOMEN & DESPERATE MEN and THREE TO THE HEART.

This 11-story anthology includes "Lightning Rider", the winner of Canada's top literary prize for crime fiction, the Arthur Ellis Award for Best Short Story, presented by the Crime Writers of Canada. Also included is "Backup", a gut-wrenching story that was a finalist for a Best Short Story Award by The International Thriller Writers, and was short-listed for the Arthur Ellis Award.

With this collection, Rick Mofina provides his finest short pieces of crime fiction, heart-wrenching stories of people facing enormous odds.

Rick Mofina is a former crime reporter and the award-winning author of several acclaimed thrillers.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 8:04:43 AM PDT
There are simply no words to express our heartfelt thanks for the sympathy you all have extended toward our family at the loss our mother. Agnes and I appreciate your kindness in thinking of our family. It was a great comfort to us during this very difficult time.

Thank you so very much for all of your kind words and prayers. Your kind words will help us in the difficult time ahead, it helps us to accept her death.

Our Mom was a caring, loving person and our loss is great. She had a wonder life of 98 years and she was lucky, it was a healthy, active life. She touch so many people.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2014 9:42:57 AM PDT
Elizabeth, It is so good to see you..
I'm sorry it had to be for this reason..
Your family continue to be in my thoughts...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2014 9:44:43 AM PDT
Tip,
We've been. It is very moving. I didn't go with a WWII vet. Mr. Dirt's father was in the Army when WWII broke out, so, unlike other first-generation Japanese-Americans, he served throughout the U.S. involvement in the war. In fact, he was with a unit that was sent to the Pacific -- even though Japanese-Americans who were allowed to enlist later were prohibited from serving there -- and was asked to go behind enemy lines as a spy for Military Intelligence. He replied, "Sir, I'll do anything I can to serve my country, but do you know that I don't speak Japanese?" Well, no, the MI brass did not. They had assumed all offspring of Japanese immigrants spoke Japanese. Poor dad! He would have been shot immediately.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 9:51:15 AM PDT
Oh, Elizabeth S H, I'm so glad to see you back. You and your family have been in my thoughts every morning, and at many other times over the last several days. How fortunate to have had such a wonderful life, and to be the daughter of a loving mom.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 11:05:30 AM PDT
I better answer the Friday question before I have to leave for work...
I actually have several......

I would like to take a couple of weeks and drive the east coast of the US and see the historical
sites of the birth of our country.. I have wanted to take this trip since I studied US History in grade school...

I would also like to go to Washington and see The White House, The Capital and all of the memorials around the city...
I'm sure that I would need a week to go through Smithsonian......

Of course I would meet ya all on the Island.... It would be great to actually meet so many of you in person...

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 11:11:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2014 11:13:06 AM PDT
Colorado; followed by Alaska-- picture a small campground carved out of the side of a 9000 ft mountain where a small old mine was located. Within hearing distance is a small bubbling creek coming from the third largest natural lake in Colorado; full of trout and various types of fish. Near the lake, a large eagle nests. Moose come through the end of the lake nourishing themselves with underwater growth at the end of the lake. Deer and rabbits stroll through the edges of the campground at dusk.

Add a large campfire, good food and many friends to join us. We are packing now, leaving next Tuesday for camping, jeeping above timberline, picnics, fishing... Wish you could go with us

Eta. There are some advantages to getting old!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2014 11:21:26 AM PDT
JoJoPNW says:
Elizabeth
So good to see you. I have thought of you and your loved ones every day, sending out a message to the universe to help ease your loss. What a lovely description of your mother!

Sandy
Thanks for starting.

This picture of a Melanic (opposite of albino) Barn Owl is very interesting and beautiful:
http://cheezburger.com/8210093312?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DailySquee+%28Daily+Squee%29

Friday Question: I would go on a long cruise around the world. stopping in at the FB&C island, of course!

Wishing all a safe and fulfilling day. ♥

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 11:34:33 AM PDT
Well, it is that time for me to take off to work..
I hope that everybody is having a good day..
I look forward to seeing ya and reading of your "vacation plans"
when I get home tonight..

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 12:27:42 PM PDT
BayouLady,
I am sooooo jealous! Colorado was my first thought, because I have always felt so good physically when I have been there, and Alaska was my second choice, because I have always wanted to go there. In the end, I decided, hey, it's a fantasy, why should I have to choose?

So, where would I go on vacation if money and time were not limiting factors? EVERYWHERE!

I'm not sure where I'd start. Perhaps on Prince Edward Island, making my way west across Canada. I'd like to take a luxury rail tour from east to west, the kind Dick Francis made up for The Edge, where the passengers get on and off (to stay at luxury hotels, go to the races, tour Lake Louise). In Vancouver, we'd board a cruise ship small enough to visit all the little bays of the Inside Passage as we sail up and along the Alaskan coast, going ashore for several days to tour Denali and other interesting spots. Afterwards, we'd board a sailing yacht big enough to cross the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, as well as to hold the dozen or so couples who are along, but small enough to be intimate.

This is where it gets difficult. Do we sail south, along the West Coast before we make our way to Hawaii? Mr. Dirt and I had a lovely two-week trip planned there, to recuperate from caring for his father during Dad's final illness, but we had to cancel it because his bipolar brother threatened to commit suicide if we left. (He did, a few months later, after Mr. Dirt refused to cancel another desperately needed vacation.) Nevermind. We'd hit the big island, so we could tour Pearl Harbor, but then we'd go to Kauai, Maui and, naturally, we'd have to tour some of the coffee plantations and load up on Kona coffee.

If we followed this route, then we have to decide, and how long it took us to get there would help, do we go south and tour Australia and New Zealand? Do we go north and work from east to west in the northern hemisphere? We'd have to visit the Greek isles, as well as Athens, of course. Istanbul, to see the beautiful cathedral-turned-mosque (and it would help if we could also pretend that they don't hate Americans or any Westerners for this trip; in fact, if no one hated anyone!).

We'd need to stop at Venice, and perhaps get off the ship to go to Florence (Firenze) and Rome, so we could eat the fabulous food in Italy's breadbasket and see the beautiful museums in all three cities. I've been there, but I'd like to go back. It's impossible to see everything worth seeing on one trip. I haven't been to Switzerland or Austria, or to any of the Scandinavian countries, nor Portugal or Spain (we'd need to go when it's not so hot, and see the beautiful museums and real flamenco dancing, which is superb and not at all the touristy stuff).

It's the wrong time of year to go to Antarctica, but it's on my list, too. I'm probably at least partially influenced by the heat and humidity I'm suffering, but don't you think it would be fascinating to visit one of the research sites?

Oh, and I'd also join Tip (wasn't it?) on the photo safari, with a stop to see Sally, except she might already be with us, so then we could just be tourists. We could sail up the Nile, see the pyramids, ride a few camels (and you would all then be ready to opt for horses instead, if camels deserve one-one-hundredth of their reputation).

We'd probably need to schedule two or three years to do all this, so I'll also have to pretend that I wouldn't miss my cat, my dogs, or my horse. I wouldn't miss my chickens, just their eggs. (They are not companionable.)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 2 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 8 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 15 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 May 27, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 May 19, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Welcome To The Quirky Zoo! Home To Many Exotic and Everyday Creatures Including a Platypus! 1916 1 minute ago
July 2015 Informal Poll--What Are You Reading Now? 83 6 minutes ago
My Kindle 2nd Generation will not sync and states it can't connect 14 11 minutes ago
How do you turn off one click ordering? 12 12 minutes ago
How do I change back to English language? 111 15 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Jun 6, 2014
Latest post:  Jun 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions