Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Touch 3G - no more web browsing via 3G?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 883 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2011 5:19:32 PM PDT
Mom of 3 says:
I just noticed this on the product detail page for the Touch 3G: "Experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi."

On the "Kindle Keyboard" page it says: "Experimental web browsing is free."

Soooooo.... I read that to mean that the new product will no longer allow web browsing via 3G. Does anyone know for sure if that's true?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 5:27:07 PM PDT
I just looked - it has Experimental Browser for all of them except for the Kindle Fire & it said "Amazon Silk cloud-accelerated browser."

It said "experimental Browser" for the K3 for as long as I have had it (since 12/14/10).

I am looking at the chart that compares the different Kindles where it compares "Web."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 5:31:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 5:35:15 PM PDT
Mom of 3 says:
Yes, it has the experimental browser ---- but for the Keyboard it states that the "Browsing is free". I read that as "via wifi or via 3G"

On the Touch 3G - it says that the experimental browser is "available via Wi-Fi" (which I read--- not available via 3G).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 5:36:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 5:38:18 PM PDT
This is what I found for the Touch 3G.
Free 3G Wireless
Our most convenient Kindle - no wireless set up, no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. Download books anywhere with no plans, contracts, or monthly fees.
ETA: This is what it says for the Touch wi-fi
Built-In Wi-Fi
Connect to Wi-Fi hotspots at home or on the road. Includes free Wi-Fi access at AT&T hotspots across the U.S.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 5:42:03 PM PDT
Nope, Mom is right (aren't they always?). On the Touch 3G product description page, if you go down to the bottom where the expanded descriptions of the features are, it says:

WebKit-Based Browser
Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Touch 3G. Experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 5:42:54 PM PDT
Mom of 3 says:
Yes, that seems like it will work fine for downloading books. But I'm asking about the web browser.

I know that the original nook 3g was only good for downloading books. In order to use the web browser, you needed wifi.

I'm wondering if the "Touch 3g" is following that model.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 5:49:19 PM PDT
OK, I think I found it. It says
WebKit-Based Browser
Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Touch 3G. Experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi.
I read the "Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit." to mean that the KT 3G has the experimental web browser. Am I reading it wrong? *Real question, now I am unsure* LOL!

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 5:50:10 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
It seems very clear that Amazon is not going to pick up the tab for 3g charges anymore, except when you connect to Amazon.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 5:53:22 PM PDT
The webkit browser is the same as the one on current kindles. The change, as Mom noticed, is that you will only be able to access it thru WiFi on the new ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 5:58:02 PM PDT
I am not very computer smart, but wouldn't that kinda make the 3G version not be as attractive?

I have the K3 wi-fi, but have always wanted the K3 wi-fi & 3G (it was a gift). I was thinking about getting the KT 3G, but if what everyone is saying is true, I might as well just stick w/ the wi-fi only - it just made it so it's not worth the extra price of getting the 3G version.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 5:58:34 PM PDT
Pushka says:
I am going to cancel then because the 3G availability to check emails (I dont do other web browsing with the kindle) is the main reason I go for 3G over wifi. It seems I will still be able to buy books everywhere using 3G but that's it. Oh well, just saved some money then.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:05:13 PM PDT
Mom of 3 says:
Absolutely not as attractive. As someone mentioned, I don't necessarily blame them, but I guess that's what made it so appealing to me!

Dang, I'm going to change to wifi only.

Hope this info helps someone else make a more informed decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:07:28 PM PDT
Well, I for one am glad that you saw that & helped me see it, because I kept missing it (as you saw). Thank you! =)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:07:30 PM PDT
Pushka says:
It did for me, Mom of 3!

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 6:10:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 6:11:40 PM PDT
I never use the web browser (my Android phone is much better for browsing on the go) but I use 3G frequently for downloading books, so it is still worth it for me. I do think it is kinda crappy of them to hide the change in the fine print like that though. Boo, Bezos!

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 6:16:04 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
I have several subscriptions and the NY Times Latest News updates several times a day, so it's nice when I'm out and away from wi-fi to be able to get those on my Kindle. Thus I ordered the touch 3G. I do not use the browser since I have too many other ways to get online. My phone for one when I'm out and all sorts of things at home.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:19:39 PM PDT
B. Ruppert says:
My wife wants the 3g because they dont have open wifi at work. Without the 3g she can't access her archive or the book store. Hey, I love her, she gets what she wants. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:20:54 PM PDT
LOL! =)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:31:19 PM PDT
Miss C. says:
B. Ruppert, do you have any brothers??? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:32:28 PM PDT
I'm not so sure that they will block sites other than the Amazon store. To do that they'd have to do updates on all previous 3g Kindles.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 6:33:13 PM PDT
B. Ruppert says:
One in MN, plus a bunch of cousins, two sons and a grandbaby. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:37:05 PM PDT
Mom of 3 says:
I hope you are right, but I don't think they'll block sites, but rather, the web browser option may not be available unless you are hooked up to wifi.

I don't know for sure, but it sure seemed that way to me!

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 6:37:14 PM PDT
Pushka says:
I usually dont need the experimental web browser either, EXCEPT when travelling and next year I have a whole lot of International travel happening and using the free kindle 3G to access my emails is perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:39:45 PM PDT
How do you read what it says? I don't have enough "computer speak" knowledge to understand what it really means.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 6:43:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 28, 2011 6:46:27 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 36 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.4
13 14 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 1 day ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
42 22 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
help 0 3 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 9460 3 minutes ago
If I buy a used Kindle keyboard, can I synch my account & read my books on it? 3 7 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 1196 7 minutes ago
Amazon Fire NFL Now (when?) 3 7 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat: Wednesday, July 30th & Thursday, July 31, 2014 132 9 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 2520 12 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  257
Total posts:  883
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions