Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle books and iPad

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2011 11:35:30 PM PDT
Can I read kindle books on my iPad 2? How do I do it?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 11:45:17 PM PDT
Kessa says:
I don't know the whole answer, but click the orange button that says "Shop All Departments>>put your cursor on Kindle>>click Free Reading Apps>>follow the directions from there.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 11:59:44 PM PDT
JES says:
@Hilary Merritt
I just got an Ipad 2 a few weeks ago. All you have to do is download the kindle app on your Ipad. Then on the app on your Ipad register the app to your amazon account. If you already have a kindle or another device registered on your amazon account all your kindle ebooks will show up in the archives of your app on your Ipad.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2011 1:01:48 AM PDT
CarpetBagger says:
How is the reading experience on the Ipad. Does it strain the eyes?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2011 1:06:50 AM PDT
JES says:
It does strain your eyes. It is just like a computer screen. I got the Ipad 2 to read my college reading assignments. But I can only read for about an hour on the ipad before it really starts to strain my eyes. Reading on my k3 is so much better. I can read for hours on my k3.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2011 2:53:53 AM PDT
loriltx says:
CarpetBagger: While J. Sheppeck is right that a lot of people experience eyestrain with a backlit device, many people on this forum have indicated that they have no problem reading for hours on the iPad. I have both devices and like J. Sheppeck, I can not engage in lengthy long-form reading on the iPad for more than an hour, whereas I can read on the Kindle for hours. I believe a good test is if you experience eyestrain reading on your computer for any length of time, then there is a good chance you will experience the same thing with the iPad. I love my iPad. I use it for a ton of things and would never want to give it up. But it is not my go to device for long-form reading.

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 3:12:54 AM PDT
Well, there is some value in having attention defect disorder. I need not be concerned about eyestrain from reading on my IPad for hours at a tme. ;-)
Harold

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 3:19:17 AM PDT
I now read all my kindle books on my iPad. I gave my kindle to my son and use the iPad for everything. No eyestrain here that I've noticed. I do turn the brightness down when reading and use the black background.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2011 5:00:58 AM PDT
Kathy Smit says:
It is as simple as going to the app store on your ipad2 and downloading the free kindle app. Then you are ready to read....I love both options but I still really love my kindle!

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 6:18:35 AM PDT
Thanks everyone for your help. Got the app now so I'm off to Amazon to see what I can find.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 5:32:59 PM PDT
Can the ipad2 read a kindle book back to you

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 7:24:57 PM PDT
CLB77 says:
YMMV. It does strain my eyes. The Kindle iPad app is definitely beautiful, but I only use it for short bursts of reading or for books with images. It's better if I set it to Sepia. (I don't like the black setting and reducing the brightness just bothers me in a different way.)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 7:46:57 PM PDT
bookcrazy says:
i only read one thing (a magazine) on my iPad2 and that is because it is not available in Kindle format. I have read several books on my iTouch and it was not bad so I can imagine that the reading on the iPad2 would be quite a bit better. It is nice to know that if I need to, I could read on my iPad2 but my preference is my K3.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 8:50:30 PM PDT
The Kindle app does not have text-to-speech.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 9:08:38 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
I have read kindle book's and overdrive library ebooks on my iPad without issue or incurring eyestrain. That said, I do prefer reading on my kindle.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 10:41:29 PM PDT
I read a lot on my iPad. I don't have any eye strain problems and read for hours. I buy books for my Kindle, but read library books on the iPad. I have the Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone also, but if the book is on my Kindle, I prefer to read it on the Kindle, mostly because of the glare on the others.

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 8:35:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2011 8:36:55 AM PDT
I read on both devices with no problem and no eyestrain. I prefer my iPad when it's dark, for color and for illustrations and my Kindle for books. When we travel and I wake up early I read on my iPad and when the family wakes up and it gets light I hand my iPad to the kids to play with and begin reading on my Kindle right where I left off.

You cannot really read your iPad in direct sunlight and they have a tendency to get too warm and shutdown if you are using it somewhere really warm in the direct sunlight.

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:01:44 AM PDT
Sarida says:
I bought a anti-glare screen protector for my iPad and it made a world of difference. Reading outside is still an issue, though. I also use the sepia background and I can read until I want to stop without eye strain. Both the Kindle and Kindle app allow you to change font sizes.

For me, the real issue is do I want to hold the iPad for hours, while the Kindle is lighter than an average book? It was easier for me to do landscape reading on the iPad than portrait. The weight of the iPad makes a difference for reading in bed. Reading in a chair doesn't matter. I'm over 50, so those things are important to me.

I use my Kindle for Amazon books, and my iPad for Overdrive library books. I have the Nook app and the Kobo app, and I have to tell you, they are not as easy to use as the Kindle app. I even briefly download the Google Books apps, but they don't have any better selection than B & N. iBooks is way better and my second favorite to the Kindle app.

One advantage is that you can sync your devices between the Kindle and the Kindle app. I love that feature. I'm more likely to take my iPad when traveling, so I love that feature!

The two advantages the Kindle have over the iPad is being able to read outside, and the long battery life.

It's easier to set up your Amazon account on a computer, and manage it that way. I "surf" on the computer, when when I find something I want I can download it to my iPad or my Kindle. Amazon makes it easy.

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:02:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2011 9:04:18 AM PDT
HannaH says:
Of course any color illustrations or photographs look better on the iPad. I read almost exclusively on my iPad. When the room is dark (in bed, hubby sleeping) I do turn the brightness down. When I'm at the pool (and even sometimes in the tub) I read the Kindle (in a large plastic bag). Best of both worlds.

Also, when buying a book you can direct it to your iPad and/or your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2011 9:45:26 AM PDT
Bill says:
I have no trouble reading on the Ipad except in direct sunlight. I like the fact that I can underline passages with a finger instead of using the Etch-a-Sketch controller on my Kindle. I don't like the heaviness of the Ipad as compared to the Kindle. But I do most of my Kindle reading on the Ipad these days. That may change if the K4 is like the NookTouch

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 10:01:55 AM PDT
Rue says:
Is it possible to download any PDF file to Kindle?

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 6:28:02 PM PST
Louise Haws says:
How do you delete books from the i-pad?

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:26:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 9:27:37 AM PDT
I have an i-pad 2, but couldn't find the book I wanted at the apple store. I loaded the free kindle app. I then bought two books from Amazon, which are going to be shipped to me. I have nothing on the cloud. Other than the free Kindle app I just loaded on my i-pad, I don't have a kindle. I have bought books from amazon before, but nothing shows up on my cloud. I would like to be able to read the books I just bought on my kindle reader on my i-pad, but don't know if that is possible. If it is possible, I don't know how to do it. So two questions: Can I read the books I bought from Amazon on my kindle application on my i-pad? If so, how do I do it? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 9:29:02 AM PDT
If you mean you want to read the paper books that are being shipped to you on the iPad, you'll have to purchase the Kindle editions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 9:30:51 AM PDT
J. Donahue says:
Paper editions and Kindle editions are two different types of purchases on Amazon. Simply buying the paper edition of the book does not give you access to the e-book version of the same title.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 6 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Is the AT&T HDX carrier unlocked? 28 1 minute ago
Fire stick drops network connection 180 1 minute ago
Kindle vs Airport Security 164 1 minute ago
screen won't work just has a purple stripe down the side and flashes 0 3 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 5265 3 minutes ago
Amazon echo is for sale now! 161 5 minutes ago
Fire hdx new home screen color 0 7 minutes ago
Classic Words Solo 250 7 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 5338 7 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions