Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

mobioffers.org virus?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 4:59:33 AM PST
JustMe says:
OK, so I've heard Fires can't get viruses, but got a pop-up saying something to the effect I was the 1000th User and I won an iphone. Just click OK. Yeah right. No close button, just OK. Tried closing the browser (Maxthon) but was still there. Hard reboot made it go away, but am curious if anyone else experienced this, and if they clicked on it what happened.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:17:47 AM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
JustMe, it's not impossible for Android devices to get malware, just less likely than some other platforms.

One issue is whether someone has allowed the installation of apps from "unknown sources". I've installed some apps like that from sources which I know well, but generally have it off.

However, it doesn't sound like you are describing a virus...it sounds like a pop up ad on the site. Now, I agree with you that it sounds like a "trick". :) That doesn't necessarily mean the installation of a virus. It could be that someone who clicks on it is then asked to enter information in order to receive the free iPhone...which enables identity theft.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:41:25 AM PST
JustMe says:
As Spammers get cleverer and cleverer I figured you never can tell. I know my laptop was nearly trashed by one of the phony Virus Alert programs so I didn't want to take any chances.

I don't think it was a site ad - I don't use Maxthon often, and mostly just for 2 or 3 sites I visit regularly and when it came up, it wouldn't let me go to a different tab. Totally locked up the browser.

I Googled, and all I found was several posts from mobile phone users. All within the last few days and nobody had actually clicked on it. Maybe it's something new.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 8:12:05 AM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
I think you're smart not to want to take chances.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:41:03 PM PST
I got this same message twice now in the past two days while usimg Twitter on my Android phone. Both times it gave me no option but to click 'ok' (which I did not) or go to task manager and shut down my browser. I find it odd when I try to search this problem this forum is the only hit I got. Pretty sure I was not the 1000th user twice in two days so it definitely is a hoax but eant to know if it is some new virus.very strange!

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 2:37:58 PM PST
JustMe says:
I did find a couple other hits w/ google, I think using the same search as the subject line I posted. Both referenced phones, and they were only within the last couple days - so it appears to be something new. It may be that those using the Silk (Amazon) browser won't see it as Silk asks if you want to open a pop-up. I always choose no, but have noticed that it seems to be asking more frequently lately.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:13:01 PM PST
B. Marks says:
While pop-ups can be a pain and sometimes be pretty nasty they aren't viruses. A virus gets into your device and changes it so it's always there. A pop-up, when you avoid it, is gone.

Viruses are usually an attempt to do damage with no other real motive. I guess it's about a sense of power or something. I don't know. I don't think I want to know. :)

Pop-ups usually have some kind of selfish goal. They tend to be attempts to make money or generate hits on a web site or to aid in tracking you. Those are all ways of generating revenue for whoever started them. I'm not aware of any pop-ups that do real damage, beyond using resources and slowing down your computer, but this isn't something I follow that closely so maybe that kind of pop-up does exist. I don't know.

Barry

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:48:50 AM PST
I got one todayon my droid phone and had to power off phone to get rid of it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:23:50 AM PST
B. Schueler says:
Same thing has happened to me, twice in 2 days. Not sure, but
I may have been using YouTube both times. I had to restart to get
Rid of it.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:29:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 8:30:01 AM PST
Lattemocha says:
I got one today when I used the google browser to go to facebook. I think it's the google browser that has been infiltrated. I cleared my browser cache, history and cookies and it went away. For now.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:14:42 PM PST
I got it on my iphone5. i wanted to access azdrama.net but it pops up and i can't watch any videos. Anyone know a solution?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:25:57 PM PST
I went to task launcher (or whatever the equivalent is on iPhone) and ended all running apps. It came back the next day, I did the same thing and it worked again but downloaded an antivirus for my phone and haven't had it come up again. It has been a couple days now. Very weird.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:20:28 PM PST
This is happening on my nook color right now when I tried to use my pulse app. 1000 user in my city, iphone, click ok to continue. Can't kill it, will try rebooting the nook. Haven't downloaded anything but a few books from the nook shop in months.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:23:17 AM PST
JustMe says:
Gee, I wonder if we'd really all win iphones .... nah! I've had it come up twice on my Fire, both times a reboot took care of it. Wonder what would happen if you hit OK. I'm not tempted to find out, but if anyone does let us know.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions