Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

can I borrow books from Kindle for my iPad ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 215 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2012 6:15:29 PM PDT
can I borrow books for my iPad ?

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:16:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2012 6:39:10 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:16:51 PM PDT
If you mean from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, no. You can only borrow those books on an actual Kindle. Those can be borrowed, 1 per calendar month, to people who have a Paid Prime membership.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:22:06 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
If you're talking about borrowing Kindle books from a friend, yes you can. Details are here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:24:22 PM PDT
Sarida says:
You can check with your local library and see if they have library lending on ebooks. They can tell you how. Check out their website!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 5:11:22 PM PST
Well then I am cancelling my Prime membership. I have the Kindle app , I should be able to get free books with my membership without having an actual Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 5:14:48 PM PST
@Sylvia: Why should you? The KOLL is a bonus extra for Prime members who own Kindles. The main purpose of Prime is the free 2-day shipping, and the KOLL and streaming videos are just bonuses - it says that on the Prime page. Amazon have to pay a fee of about 40% of the retail price of the ebook to the publisher for each book borrowed. The KOLL is an incentive for Prime members to buy a Kindle, and then they might buy more ebooks. Amazon is in the business of making a profit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 5:15:04 PM PST
Sylvia, if the KOLL was your only reason for joining Prime, even if you could borrow the one book per month, it wouldn't be a good buy.

Prime is a Shipping Program. The KOLL was added a little over a year ago, as a very small perk for Kindle owners. If borrowing books is important to you, look in to what your public library has to offer. They are in business to loan books. Amazon is in business to sell them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 5:15:19 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
You should definitely cancel Prime if yo ever thought borrowing one book a month was worth $79/year.

Prime's central purpose is to make shipping faster and more convenient for purchases of physical goods. Nobody should buy it if they don't think it's worth it for that alone, IMO.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 9:35:53 PM PST
Sylvia, cancel away if the lending policy annoys you. It annoys me also. And I am well aware what Amazon Prime is and I bought it for the Shipping. However, it seems chincy that I can't borrow a book on my iPad when I can on my Kindle. I have both and much prefer the iPad. The Kindle is Piece of Shite.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 10:06:52 PM PST
King Al says:
I completely disagree with you (I have an iPad, a Fire, and a Paperwhite.) Unless you have unusual requirements, the Fire is a better value for the money than the iPad. And the Paperwhite is a much better reader than the iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 5:17:23 AM PST
flipoid says:
Amazon created the Prime program. Amazon sets the parameters and decided that people who wanted to borrow Kindle books from the KOLL program had to be Kindle *owners* (hence the name Kindle OWNERS' lending library). You say you prefer the iPad--does iBooks/Apple let you borrow free books?

And the word is "chintzy"--might want to use that Kindle dictionary once in a while. I don't think Amazon is chintzy at all for offering an extra benefit *without having raised the price of the Prime membership*. I think someone is being a tad bit greedy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 5:23:30 AM PST
It's right there in the name. *~KINDLE*~ Owners' Lending Library.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 8:35:59 AM PST
quilt lover says:
Where can I find the Kindle Wannabee Lending Library? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 9:07:27 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
You are obviously a candidate for membership in the iPad Owners Lending Library.

Let us know how you like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 9:32:47 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 9:45:31 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 9:13:42 AM PST
Obviously, Amazon should allow us to borrow books on our iPads, esp when I have personally spent 25,000USD on amazon products in the last 2 years. Amazon also does not do a great job of telling you about there special programs. And, in all honest the free super saving shipping is 100% better than being an amazon prime member. Amazon should also take into account that we have military troops abroad and that streaming media should not be confined to an IP Address.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 9:17:04 AM PST
Obviously, Amazon doesn't think you know best how to run their business nor that it would be a brilliant idea to stream media for which it isn't the rights holder.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 9:34:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 9:35:26 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Sorry but Amazon has to follow the laws just like everyone else even if it is for military troops abroad. I also don't see why it would be obvious that Amazon allow you to read books they have to pay for on your iPad. They are rewarding people who have purchased Kindle devices not the competitions.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 1:03:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 1:07:20 AM PST
OK here is a question for everybody in the above post. And NO, I do NOT want to start Amazon/IPad War III!!!
Which do you find more beneficial: the Kindle or the Ipad with the Kindle App??
I HAVE NEITHER AND WANT TO GET ONE..I READ ALL THE POSTS AND IT SEEMS LIKE THE KINDLE ITSELF NEW VERSION IS GOOD FOR READING.
I already have kindle on my PC for now, but want something a little more portable..
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 5:40:34 AM PST
Mary McManus says:
If you only want a device for reading, the Paperwhite is the most versatile since it will allow you to read in bright sunshine or a dimly lighted room. Between iPad mini and Kindle Fire, I would choose the iPad mini, and I do have both so am qualified to have an opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 5:42:12 AM PST
Coeur, I have both, an iPad, and a Kindle Paperwhite. I only use the iPad Kindle app for magazines. I read on the Paperwhite.

(You don't have to yell. It's rude, and all caps are hard to read)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 6:13:59 PM PST
Melissa says:
this argument doesn't wash. If the reason for the KOLL is to get people to buy a kindle, so they will buy more books, then it would work on any device, because you can buy kindle books and read them on any device.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 6:33:29 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
Except that with the actual Kindle, you're more closely tuned in to the Amazon "experience" and more likely to buy KINDLE books.

If you're just reading on an app, you might still opt to buy your ebooks from a competitor.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  215
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions