Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

My Kindle Touch can't connect to my wifi router at home

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2012 7:00:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2012 7:10:54 AM PST
It's very STRANGE. My Kindle Touch cannot connect to the TPLINK wifi router at my home, although it have connected properly before. And all other wifi devices still work with that router perfectly. I've checked my Kindle with other wifi AP in other place, and KIndle CAN connect normally.

I'm not sure is the upgrade to 5.0.3 cause this, but ONLY Touch cannot work with this router. I've tried reset Kindle, reset router, enabled/disabled wifi securities, disabled MAC filtering, not work at all.

Check in the wifi router statistic, each time Kindle try to connect, the MAC addr of Kindle appears in statistic table, but it only received about 12, 13 packets, and sent 4 or 5 packets, then disconnect and Kindle shows failure message.
I don't remember well when it starts unable to connect, but when I received this Kindle (about 2 weeks ago), it worked well with this AP, then I upgraded 5.0.3 firmware, it failed to connect to this AP, maybe? But it still works with other wifi sources.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:07:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2012 7:16:33 AM PST
Edit: thanks for adding the extra details.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:11:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2012 7:12:56 AM PST
sorry, I've updated my post

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 7:14:55 AM PST
S. Prewitt says:
Have you tried telling your Kindle to "forget" your home Wi-Fi network, then connecting to it again?

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:19:54 AM PST
Seem that the the "forget" feature only for the "connected" wifi network. And I remember that I have used it (forget) this network one time, when it's still able to connected to this network. Now, it can't connect, so how to "forget" it?

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:21:23 AM PST
Given all this detail, it seems you're certainly an advanced user. After trying what S. Prewitt suggested, your best bet is to call Kindle CS. They have the resources to help you troubleshoot. Click the "help" at the top of any Amazon page, then the yellow "contact us" button on the right side of the next page. Amazon will call you immediately.

Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 7:24:35 AM PST
S. Prewitt says:
Uhh ...

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:28:09 AM PST
I would also suggest finding somewhere else with wifi, connecting there to isolate the problem a bit. "This kindle works at CoffeeBlob, but when I get home it won't connect even though my laptop will" is more informative. Of course try to connect when you get home. Getting a "good" connection might unconstipate the kindle.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:34:47 AM PST
Yes, today I have checked with the wifi at my office, it WORKED.
And now, at my home, it can find the wifi with very good signal rate, but unable to connect, while my laptop has connected.
--
Thanks for your advices, although I'm not sure about Kindle CS contact to solve this, as I see some similar threads, still not solved yet, but maybe I'll try.

I'm thinking about another solution, "Reset to Factory default" for Kindle, I guess that Kindle will lose all data, is it? And is there any harmful or notable thing if I reset Kindle to factory default. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 7:36:30 AM PST
Reset to Factory defaults is an option. You'll have to download all your books again from your Archive or personal backups as all the data is erased. You'll also have to regegister the Kindle to you Amazon account. Otherwise, that's worth trying.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 8:50:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2012 8:50:40 AM PST
unfortunately, no luck :D. It's still unable to connect to my wifi network after factory reset.

I increasingly believe that there are something unstable inside the Touch v5.0.3 firmware.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 10:14:42 AM PST
FINALLY IT WORKS. But I have to use the 'Static' connection from Kindle.
Absolutely, after many tries, the dynamic (DHCP) does not work in this case (but other devices still connect normally with router via DHCP). So I concluded that: Do not fully rely on Kindle dynamic connection, it can be stuck.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 1:31:25 PM PST
C. Wright says:
I never had problems with my KK, but my Kindle Keyboard had tons of wi-fi problems. My friend talked me through how to do a Soft Reset... I'm not sure I remember how to do it correctly, but it solved my wi-fi problems.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 9:04:53 PM PDT
W. Turnbull says:
I have the same the problem with Kindle Touch and a TPLINK router. Kindle will not connect even though multiple other devices work fine.

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 10:41:44 PM PST
b. kenobi says:
My kindle fire and kindle HD both have problems with my tplink
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
12 8 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
113 16 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Will we ever be able to give Kindle unlimited as a gift? 11 1 minute ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 219 1 minute ago
Kindle Fire charging port getting loose 1180 3 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 8318 8 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 1701 9 minutes ago
Kindle - Keeps Shutting Off!! 2 10 minutes ago
French books on US Kindle? 71 17 minutes ago
kindle unlimited 1 18 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions