Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 4G LTE **Warning**

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2012 11:14:39 PM PST
Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers

So, I just chatted with 2 different customer service reps regarding my question and got the same answer, so beware.
My question had to do with the Data carrier. AT&T is it. There is no other choice. If you want Verizon data, DO NOT get a Kindle Fire. Apparently, it will not work. If you know differently, I would like to know because I HATE AT&T where I live.
Secondly, the $50 a year data service is a promo price. It will go up to AT&T's regular price after the first year which is currenly $14.99 a month for a measly 250MG a month, and goes up from there.
For me and my money, an extra $200 over the 16GB Wifi only model, plus expensive data, and only one carrier choice, it's not worth it.
Please, if you have differing information, I'd like to know. I'm just sharing what I heard from 2 different cs reps for Amazon. I thought it was disappointing to say the least.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:17:18 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
No DuH. The product page clearly states the $50 data plan is for just the 1st year.

Yes the 4G is AT&T only, there is no way to switch it but you won't be using the 4g very often. It is for light use away from WiFi, you won't be streaming anything over it.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:03:54 AM PST
Thank you very much. Many here already knew this and have not had the amount of trepidation you experienced. You could still get the non4G and a mifi hotspot from what ever carrier you wish.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:34:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:38:48 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:03:10 AM PST
NG says:
We have 2 Verizon phones and a tablet with hotspots that don't have coverage AT&T does in the Statez and any international coverage. AT&T has month to month coverage plans for US and for international.

This gives us a nice coverage alternative.

https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ShopRatePlans.action

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:13:08 AM PST
Sarida says:
It says it's AT&T. They aren't trying to deceive anyone. We all knew it was AT&T.

However, you still can get the 299 version and use your smartphone from Verizon as a hotspot. No?

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:15:13 AM PST
B. Marks says:
To me the biggest problem is that if you want 64 gig you have to get the 4G version. I have no interest in 4G but I really would like the 64 gig model.

Barry

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:29:18 AM PST
pjf says:
thanks for reporting this. I knew the 4g was a promo price, but I had not heard that it would be 14.99 a month after that. I had hoped the package after that would still be a flat fee for data, for rare away from wireless use, not a month by month plan. I too ordered the 64gb version and knowing it will cost me 180 dollars a year for a data plan rather than a set fee for a certain amount of data usage is disappointing. I have to consider now if I want to keep this order. When I preordered I don't think there was info yet about what plans would be offered after the first year.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 8:39:10 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
and you still haven't heard that it will be $14.99 a month after that (it could be more or less), as that's just a general guesstimate and Amazon hasn't announced what it will be after the first year

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 8:43:00 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Warning about what??? This information has been readily available since it was announced...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:09:16 AM PST
JustMe says:
If AT & T doesn't provide good coverage in your area I can see where that could be a problem. However I have a totally different 'take' on the data plan going from $50/yr to $14.99/mo. - shows that Amazon will save you nearly $130 over any other tablet the first year ! I'll admit I haven't researched - but does anyone else offer data plans for less than $4.50/mo. ? Though I'm not tempted by the 4g, I was pretty impressed w/ Amazon's $50/yr bonus - especially knowing what some of my friends w/ smart phones pay!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:21:50 AM PST
Actually it wasn't Jeff. The product page was changed to include the information about two weeks after the press conference.

Had AT&T cooperated in offerring a discounted rate for the second year, i was going to get it since it includes the $20 /yr cloud fee.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:25:07 AM PST
I don't think Amazon is being deceitful. I guess it was just my own lack of understanding. I assumed one could switch data carriers, but I guess when I think about my cell phone, I can't do that so why would I be able to with this? However, it is slightly more deceitful to not disclose that the $50 a year data ate ie a promo rate for the first year only. I'm not willing to spend $15 or more dollars a month on data. And if others are ordering this version of kindle fire with the understanding that the data will cost $50 a year after the first year, that's not right. The warning is more to inform people that if there is an understanding that the cost of data will beonly 50 bucks a year even after the first year, that is incorrect andyou'll be disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:28:18 AM PST
Sarida says:
BUT from your link it clearly says:

(Cut and paste directly from the site you linked to)

Groundbreaking 4G LTE Package

Amazon worked closely with AT&T to offer the most affordable 4G tablet data package. This 12 month AT&T 4G data package includes 250MB a month of blazing fast data, 20GB of additional Cloud Drive storage, and a $10 Amazon Appstore promotional credit, all for a one-time payment of only $49.99, with no monthly payments required. The $49.99 package is only available for the first year of service. If you need more data, additional 3GB and 5GB data plans from AT&T are also available for purchase. You can sign up for a data plan right from your device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:28:59 AM PST
My understanding is that its not up to Amazon. You can go to ATT website and see their tablet data package prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:30:52 AM PST
OK. I can't argue with that. Good point. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:32:30 AM PST
Sarida says:
You are welcome :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:33:38 AM PST
Verizon and AT&T operate different underlying technologies (even though both are 4G LTE). T-Mobile is yet to launch LTE and Sprint operates on CDMA just like Verizon. So, until T-Mobile has LTE and AT&T is willing to unlock the device (if it is in fact locked - I'm not sure this is the case) then you're stuck with AT&T.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:35:52 AM PST
Sarida, I think using a hotspot with your current smartphone is by far the most economical option in most cases. Even with paying the fee to your carrier this fee is often lower than the upcharge Amazon wants for the LTE Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:45:50 AM PST
I think you are totally right and I thank you and everyone else for their comments. Its really helped in my decision making. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:49:53 AM PST
gina says:
Excuse me but what is amifi hotspot?
Thank you
Gina
From the Great state of Maine
rkelleysews@roadrunner.com

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:03:02 AM PST
pjf says:
I know before I preordered (on the first day available) I searched for info on the data plan and there wasn't much.

I understood that the original data plan was for the first year of service. But I really liked the "no monthly payment required" part of this Amazon/ATT data plan, and that it would offer a limited amount of usage for a small lump fee.

While I realize no one can predict the future, based on past history, any thoughts on whether Amazon is likely to partner with ATT in the second year to offer another package, perhaps for a slightly higher price? Or are we to be left high and dry at that point, as single users picking one of the standard AT&T data plans?

Amazon surely has more clout than we do to negotiate something. It would make a big difference to me as to whether to retain my preorder to the LTE version to know if Amazon was going to negotiate something going forward for LTE purchasers.

If I have to pay for a month to month plan, it would make more sense for me to purchase a wifi version and get a verizon phone with a data plan that could act as a hotspot. Presently I don't have such a phone, I rarely use my cell phone - I have one only for the car in case of emergencies, and I have the least expensive phone only plan, and don't use that, so I don't want to pay for more monthy fees I'm unlikely to use. The LTE version was attractive to me, for checking email the rare times I am away from wireless, since I don't have a cell phone plan for that, and don't need an expensive monthly plan.

It would be useful if Amazon could tell us something about what their intentions are to Fire LTE buyers will be, after the first year of service is up. Will we be on our own? Will they be likely to renegotiate some new package? Clearly the Customer service staff at Amazon don't have anything to tell us on this point, based on the OP's comments, but I'd be interested in what others think might happen, in lieu of hard facts. It's hard to know what to order, without information.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:09:03 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
but amazon might be able to negotiate a lower data plan for the following year(s)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:20:19 AM PST
pjf says:
I've put in an email question to Amazon on that. I don't expect it to stay 49$, but I sure would not want to pay $230 or more. It might not be worth paying for the LTE version, if it isn't going to be useful after the first year. If I get an answer I will post it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:32:42 AM PST
I doubt you will get a definate answer because as of right now, I doubt whether anyone knows the answer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions