Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Reset to factory default Basic $79 Kindle.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2011 10:37:26 PM PST
Clark75115 says:
OK I messed around with the Kindle that is my sons Christmas gift. He would love to get like it came out of the box. It is the Basic $79 Kindle. There is no factory reset in the menu, so how do I reset this one so it is like it was when it came out of the box?

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 10:51:31 PM PST
Go Menu/Settings/Reset to factory defaults. You may need to page forward through the settings menu to get to that option.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 11:20:29 PM PST
Miss Carol says:
If CBP's method doesn't work - try menu/settings/menu (that's the order if the kindle keyboard - I don't know how different the basic is).

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 11:35:03 PM PST
I checked the User Guide for that model, Miss Carol - I have the KK too :-)

Clark, the User Guide is here: http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/KindleUser%27sGuide.pdf The relevant bit is on p.13.

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 6:16:45 AM PST
Clark75115 says:
Thank you all for your help. Here are my results.
"Menu/setting/Reset to factory defaults", does not exist anywhere. Under settings there is.
Registration
WiFi Networks
Device Password
Device Language
Device Info
Dictionaries

Menu/Settings/Menu puts me back to the home screen.

Page 13 in the manual explains what the "Reset to factory defaults" function is ,but nothing on how to do it. It seems to be referring to the Settings menu item that does not exist.

Is there a key combo or something? I am sure there is a way, has someone out there reset theirs to Factory default?

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 6:23:18 AM PST
Gordon says:
When in settings hit menu again. That has the reset option.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 6:30:36 AM PST
Clark75115 says:
Thank you Gordon, that worked. Thank you for the help

Posted on May 1, 2012 3:37:52 PM PDT
T2000KW says:
After trying to figure it out on my own, I found this thread and used the above method to successfully reset my Kindle to the factory defaults. I will be taking it back to Wal Mart since I don't really care for the basic model. (I may just buy a full-blown tablet and add the Kindle app to it.)

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 1:55:28 PM PDT
M. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 2:21:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 3, 2012 3:16:20 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 3:12:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 3:15:51 PM PDT
M, I think it is in the menu under settings. Sorry, I don't have a Fire and I can't find it in the troubleshooting guide. I do know that if you enter the password incorrectly 4 times, the Fire will ask you if you want to reset it.

Edit - found it for you - from here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k6trouble_password?nodeId=200729330#password

"To reset your Kindle Fire password, you can restore your device to factory default settings. This will delete all content on your Kindle Fire and you'll need to register it again before downloading items from your Amazon account.:
1.Tap the Quick Settings icon, then tap More.
2.Tap Device.
3.Tap Reset to Factory Defaults."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 2:43:35 PM PDT
on my basic ($79) kindle, I go menu/settings/personal info/menu

this gives you options to shop or restart, or reset to factory defaults

Good luck

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:01:13 PM PST
My Kindle ewhite started in Chinese. How do I get it to English if I don't understand Chinese?

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 12:30:38 PM PST
Julie Biley says:
i want to change the language in my kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 4:47:34 PM PDT
A bit late for Michael's problem.
With exactly the same problem I was in the shop where I bought the Kindle. The shop assistant was able to compare the boxes in my new kindle with those on a demonstration model operating in English. Using the boxes he was then able to change the language by repeating the key presses on both to get to the required place. It would have been very difficult (impossible for me) to have got there by following instructions in a manual.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 6:27:27 AM PDT
"Reset to factory defaults" didn't appear for me until after I was in the settings and hit menu you again, not home. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 8:56:35 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Yes, that's where it is on most e-ink Kindles. When in doubt, press "Menu" :o)

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 3:12:21 PM PDT
Elizabeth says:
I have this kindle but when I got to reset to factory defaults, it dosen't allow me, I've restarted it 4 time (none of those worked) so I really need help!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 3:34:00 PM PDT
❤ Ann says:
@Elizabeth - Are you unable to find the "Reset to Factory Defaults" option, or is it grayed-out? If it's grayed-out and you cannot select it, you probably have the parental controls enabled. Go to Home > Menu > Settings > Parental Controls and turn it off.

Posted on May 23, 2013 1:54:57 PM PDT
Kindle Fire HD 7" 8 GB - purchasing used - how do we get this registered in our name at Amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2013 2:15:16 PM PST
S. Oneal says:
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2013 7:35:52 AM PST
Nitasha says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 12:08:12 PM PST
Reknee500 says:
THAT was exactly what I needed ...I have the very old kindle with the keyboard below....ty

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 8:23:47 PM PST
I have a kindle keyboard and the screen is distorted and frozen. Resetting by holding power switch is not working. I read about restarting to factory settings, but how does one go about doing this

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2014 5:50:54 AM PDT
shellrobin says:
Thanks it helped me aswell
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Dec 10, 2011
Latest post:  16 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions