Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Samsung TV requirements for "Second Screen" and "Miracast" to work on the HDX?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 77 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2013 11:33:50 PM PST
Soulrider says:
I'm sure this has been discussed at length but after reading many threads I still can't find the answer. What feature(s) is required on a newer Samsung tv to allow both "Second Screen" and "Miracast" to work with the new Kindle Fire HDX? I know it has to be a smart tv. Does it simply need to have Wi-Fi? Does the feature on the Samsung tv have to specifically say "Second Screen " or "Miracast"? I don't specifically see those features listed on Samsung smart tv's I've looked at. I'm assuming the feature is called something else on Samsung tvs IF the there is a feature needed beyond Wi-Fi (which I'm guessing there is). I have seen features on some Samsung smart tvs called "Allshare Play" and "ConnectShare Movie" But they don't quite sound like the right features. I emailed Amazon customer service but haven't gotten a reply yet. Usually, they respond within a few days but they haven't on this, not yet anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2013 11:54:20 PM PST
Soulrider - You'll need to have a Micacast compatible device. If your TV isn't so enabled, you'll need to get an adapter of some sort similar to this:

NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter with Miracast (PTV3000) Certified for use with Kindle Fire HDX

Wireless Display Methods for Kindle Fire:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201370390

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2013 6:53:16 AM PST
Soulrider says:
Yes, that's the point, I don't see any (none that I've looked at) Samsung tvs that say anything about having "Miracast" or being "Miracast enabled". I'm not as concerned about "Miracast" as I am "Second Screen" since the Netgear device you've listed is one, already listed on the Kindle Fire HDX product page on Amazon and two, can be easily purchased separate from the tv. The "Second Screen" feature of the Kindle Fire HDX is however is, I think, something that the TV has to have or be compatible with to work as I don't think there's any aftermarket add-on device to make it work (I could be wrong). As I mentioned in my original post, I'm trying to find out if these two features are called something else on new Samsung tvs or if they are actually called "Second Screen and "Miracast". If anyone has a Samsung tv that one or both of these features working on with a Kindle Fire DX and could post the model of the tv, I could look up the specs and perhaps find out what feature is required to make these options work.

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 12:53:23 PM PST
Soulrider, I'm researching this RIGHT NOW. It's frustrating to not have these things listed. I'm chatting about Samsung with a Costco television "expert."

AH! She just gave me the Samsung phone number.

800-726-7864

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 12:54:15 PM PST
P.S. The Amazon help person I spoke with couldn't tell me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2013 3:59:06 PM PST
I have the answer! According to a Samsung tech advisor fellow, ALL 2013 Samsung smart TVs can do this. Great news!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 9:17:16 AM PST
Soulrider says:
Lifetime Book Lover, that's great! Thank you very much for finding out! Did the person happen to indicate which feature it is on the Samsung TVs that works with Second Screen and/or Miracast? Also, did the rep say if any Samsung smart TV can do both Second Screen AND Miracast or just SecondScreen or what? I wonder if it's just wi-fi that is required on the TV. However, if that were the case you wouldn't think that Amazon would single out "Samsung" TVs since I'm sure many other manufacturers have smart TVs with wi-fi. I've emailed Amazon twice about this and haven't gotten a response. It's the only time they'e NOT gotten back to me when I've emailed them on something.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 11:30:25 AM PST
Soulrider - If you'd clicked on the link for Wireless Display Methods for Kindle Fire I gave you it says:

Second Screen
Requirements

Kindle Fire HD (2nd Generation) or Kindle Fire HDX
PlayStation 3 or a 2013 Samsung Smart TV

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 10:15:03 AM PST
Santosh says:
I tried mirroring and it worked with my samsung smart tv. Use Allshare cast
Menu -> Network -> Allshare Settings -> Screen Mirroring

I could not yet make Second Screen work. I do not see the button for second screen at all when my video is playing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2013 1:41:03 PM PST
Soulrider says:
Yes, I realize what it says I've read that before. All it says is 2013 Samsung TV...that's it. It doesn't say what option. There is no SecondScreen or Miracast option on any Samsung TV description that I've read on any of the descriptions of the TVs. If I decide to buy a TV it would probably be a Samsung as I've had them in the past and always liked them. As such I'd like to know for sure before I buy one that I'm getting one that has the functionality I'm looking for. However, up until now no one at Amazon has been able to tell me what function or feature on a new Samsung TV is required for SecondScreen to work (despite repeated requests). I'm also curious as to why they suggest only Samsung TVs and don't list any other manufacturers. If it were something as simple as needing to have Wi-Fi I would think it really wouldn't matter what brand as other brands certainly have Wi-Fi enabled TVs. If it's something specific (at least for now) to Samsung I'd like to know what the feature is called on a Samsung tv. All I've gotten so far is 2013 Samsung TVs. So according to that it should work with ANY 2013 Samaung smart TV. The only thing Amazon customer service did tell me was that SecondScreen only works with Prime Instant Videos and TV shows, personal videos are not supported. I guess I'll just take their word for it that it will work on any 2013 Samsung Smart TV without finding out what exactly the feature is that is being used on the TV. If it were something as simple as using Wi-Fi it would be nice if they would give that functionality to the previous version of the Kindle Fire HD via a firmware update. However, while nice, I won't hold my breath. I'm sure that's one of the features that will draw people to the HDX line.

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 4:40:07 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
I gave up on SecondScreen when I realized it required an active WiFi Internet connection--using the HDX as just a medium to channel the streamed content to the TV. I got the HDX for the ability to download Prime during the wee hours when my satellite internet is unmetered, then play them the following evening. I tried for a while to get the mirroring to work with a 2013 Samsung BluRay player (press 'D' key.) Both devices said they were connected and the images from my carousel and videos home page were projected, but when I played a movie, only the sound went to the TV. It got pretty embarrassing after a few weeks of trying.
This is what you need to make mirroring work:
HDX
NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter with Miracast (PTV3000) Certified for use with Kindle Fire HDX
AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return (3 Feet/0.9 Meter) Standard male plug both ends.
TV with spare HDMI port; if it has an available USB, the Push2TV will power from that, if not, it comes with an AC adaptor and USB cable (just not an HDMI.)

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 7:25:34 AM PST
Scrappy says:
Soulrider I just received a Kindle Fire HDX 7 and I have a Samsung 6000 Series. I am in the same boat as you in regards to trying to use the miracast or mirroring from the HDX7 to the TV. I have Chromecast but unfortunately that does not work with Amazon Prime. The box that Carbon has a link to seems like it would do the job however shouldn't need it with the 6000 Series TV. Wish someone had a clear answer on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2013 9:33:30 AM PST
Soulrider says:
I just wish they would say exactly what feature or spec the TV needs to have for something like Second Screen or Miracast to work. Just saying a "2013 Samsung Smart TV" for Second Screen is rather vague as it doesn't say what the spec is you are looking for. I'm a bit more concerned about SecondScreen only because for Miracast, while it would be very nice if it worked directly with just the TV, it does work with the Netgear Push2TV HDMI adapter listed on Amazon's web page (the one Carbonbased linked to and I linked to in another thread). At least if worse comes to worse you CAN purchase the Netgear adapater. With SecondScreen it's a bit different as it sounds like it has to be a feature on the TV itself.

I did find this on a Youtube video where someone was showing Miracast working from a Windows 8.1 laptop to a Samsung Smart TV. It was a comment to someone trying to get Miracast working on their TV. He said on a Samsung smart TV, to look if you have Screen Mirroring, click SOURCE on the the remote and after HDMI, TV, etc, you should have Screen Mirroring if you have it available on your TV. He said if you do there is no need for something like Netgear's Push2TV adpater. Granted, he was talking about using it with Windows 8.1 but it would still be a way to check if a particular Samsung smart TV had Screen Mirroring available to work with the Kindle Fire HDX.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 10:00:34 AM PST
Scrappy says:
Found this going to give it a try when I get home.
http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=463680&modelname=UN55D6000SF&modelcode=UN55D6000SFXZA&session_id=S8szgRksQHHF5zQJskDKT6HXjJqrfyjxFpL2ZGgJVtQf7fHJR0Gh%21-1214040522%211677130453%211388080371678&from_osc=&homeid=57329

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 10:16:57 AM PST
Mike Smith says:
Eh, I'm about to give up on Amazon video streaming and just go with Netflix and Redbox + Chromecast. There seem to be too many issues with Miracast.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2013 11:46:31 AM PST
Scrappy says:
I agree Mike, too much effort. Will give it a go and see if my TV at home does the mirroring or Miracast or Link whatever name they are calling it, if it doesn't work then will just use the HDX via my Chromecast and stream Netflix from it.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 11:57:12 AM PST
Carbonbased says:
The key term with Samsung is "AllShare" and it will probably need to get on the Internet and find updates. The Netgear dongle worked right out of the box, although the instructions said to start by getting updates.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2013 12:04:39 PM PST
Soulrider says:
Scrappy, I was just thinking about your comment about you having Chromcast but that not doing Amazon Prime (Amazon Instant Video). Do you have a smart TV? If so, can't you get Amazon Instant Video directly on your TV with one of the Apps built into TV (or downloadable)?

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 12:07:30 PM PST
Scrappy says:
You can, however if it does not have a "Cast" icon, the audio is off with the video. It's comprable to watching one of those old Kun-Fu movies lol.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 12:10:29 PM PST
Mike Smith says:
You can also use a PS3, but you have to go through the additional steps of turning on the PS3 and then navigating to the Amazon video service on it. It works, but it's just a bit of a PITA.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2013 12:12:12 PM PST
Scrappy says:
Or buy a PS3 lol.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 12:13:47 PM PST
Mike Smith says:
...oh yeah, and then every once in a while you have to wait like 10 minutes before doing anything while the PS3 goes through a system update...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2013 2:29:18 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 27, 2013 2:36:57 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 2:37:22 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 27, 2013 2:38:42 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 2:41:13 AM PST
wrapperc says:
I have a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 inch and a Samsung 6000 Series TV. I just selected source on the tv remote control (right at the top) and chose screen mirroring at the top of the television screen and turned it on. Then, on the Kindle Fire HDX, go to Settings, then Display and Sounds, and choose Display Mirroring. My Kindle Fire HDX connected with my tv immediately. Hope this helps!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Where can I get my Kindle fixed? 178 35 seconds ago
The time and battery useage icon only appear on the opening screen. 0 3 minutes ago
deleted ebook 2 18 minutes ago
using android car charger to charge my kindle 4 26 minutes ago
Kindle and RokuTV 3 29 minutes ago
Book descriptions 4 32 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9469 47 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9524 53 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1607 57 minutes ago
Toler Tech LLC 222 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 16, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions