Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Reading on KF High Def

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 3:57:18 PM PST
Jacqueline says:
Hi, I just returned a Paperwhite that seems to have been malfunctioning and was wondering if anyone has any input on whether or not the High Def Fire is actually sharper to read on than the "old" regular Fire? My Fire from last Christmas has been giving me some really blurry eyesight after about 6 hours of reading, but I didn't like the paperwhite at all.

If anyone's compared the two, please let me know what you thought!

Thanks - and Happy Holidays!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:06:11 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
It will be the same experience as your Fire. They are both backlit LCD screens, if your current Fire gave you blurry eyes after 6 hours reading the Fire HD will as well. It is the back lighting shining into your eyes that is causing the eye strain.

Lot of people are sensitive to reading on a LCD screen and lot of people have no problems.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:17:04 PM PST
If you are reading in 6 hour stretches, but did not like the Paperwhite, i would recommend the "basic" Kindle for $69. The e-ink screen is easier on the eyes than an LCD screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 4:17:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 4:19:36 PM PST
The Blade says:
I have the original Fire, the 8.9" HD, and the 7" HD. Either of the HDs is far superior to the original Fire for reading. Much, much sharper and crisper. This is especially evident when reading periodicals or pdfs.

That said, I agree with Bixillarla. The likely cause for eyestrain is the LCD screen, not the crispness of the text.

We have the Fires AND eink Kindles. I use the Fire for a variety of things and love it. But when I am interested in long form reading, I invariably pull out one of my eink devices. If you are going to settle in and read for a few hours, it is hard to beat eink.

Edited one word for clarity.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:49:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:05:04 PM PST
Jacqueline says:
Thank you all. I may try the smaller and cheaper e-ink, the Paperwhite I had kept flashing to a black background when I turned the page and it just trashed my eyes - I think
Bixillarla commented on it last nite. However, my friend I gave one too says hers absolutely does not do what mine was doing - still for that kind of money it wasn't worth it for me. I'm Fire spoiled. I like the size of the Fire, to me it holds more paragraphs on the page, and the weight of it...and just generally love it. I have an anti glare cover and turn it way down when I read for a long time - it may just be *sigh* over 55 and needing/should be using readers? oh noooooooooooooooooo.....

I would so love to see the differrence between a Fire HD - I'll check youtube. Thanks again, everyone!

edit: so I think that the difference is kind of like my Ipod 4th generation vs the Fire - it's a little crisper and clearer and kind of jumps out at you more. Lots of great reviews for the Fire HD out there!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:08:17 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
The cheaper Eink kindle will do the same flashing as the Paperwhite. All the Eink models have to refresh the screen by blanking it out. It is the nature of Eink technology.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:13:16 PM PST
"the Paperwhite I had kept flashing to a black background when I turned the page and it just trashed my eyes"

That's the page refresh. All e-ink Kindles will do that. You get used to it after awhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:46:56 PM PST
@Jacqueline: You can set the page refresh to happen on every 6th page turn or on every page turn. Mine is set on the 6th page turn, and that reduces the numbers of flashes. It does not worry me at all.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:58:58 PM PST
Jacqueline says:
Thanks again, I just watched several videos of the paperwhite, the regular reader and the nook; it looked like the ones he was using flashed much quicker than the one I had did, so maybe it was slightly defective.

On the video the change - and the page turn - was happening much much more quickly. I'm going to take the anti-glare cover off my Fire and see if that helps with the blurring. (Well, now that I've got it off it doesn't look like it's going to go back on without major air bubbles anyway.) And keep an eye out for a special on the plain e-ink just to have. I do read for hours at a time when I can.

Happy holidays, yall!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:35:04 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
I think I have become trained to blink whenever I turn the page on one of my Kindles, because I swear I never notice the "black flash" any more. In fact, the first Kindle I had with the sixth-page refresh feature I found to be disturbing until I set it back to every-page refresh.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions