Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

No repair facility to fix a broken kindle exists

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 91 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 8, 2008 1:48:25 PM PDT
I somehow rested another book on my kindle inside its protected case and the image in the upper right 1/8 th of the screen is now unreadable. I called Kindle help line and they advised me that there is no Kindle repair service or facility. I am out of luck...either buy a new one or read 7/8ths of future books

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 1:54:28 PM PDT
Yes, that is a major flaw. It is hard to understand how they can release an electronic device and no way to repair it. Although I understand that to replace the e-ink screen would be about as costly as buying a new unit. But the repair issue should be addressed. Even if it meant sending it back to amazon. I guess I could live without for a few days (maybe) if a problem were fixable.

I have only had kindle 3 months and have had no issues. But it does concern me the number of people I read on the board who have had issues with it breaking etc. Durability is a bit of a concern. I take good care of my things but things happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 3:19:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2008 3:20:14 PM PDT
I admit to worrying about my Kindle's hardiness as well. A friend just got a Kindle and brought it with on a weekend visit. I felt like an older relative telling a completely inexperienced mom how to handle a newborn. I even referred to her Kindle as "Baby," when I saw her handling it in ways I found precarious. When she complained that she didn't think she would need to be so careful, I asked her if she'd be ok with dropping a lap top... or a baby, LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 5:07:09 PM PDT
Cat_herder says:
"But it does concern me the number of people I read on the board who have had issues with it breaking etc."

As one who has been on internet forums since the early 90's, I can say that forums are not a good place to get statistics on this sort of thing. It's a very small group of self-selected vocal people and the squeaky wheels get noticed, whereas all the people without problems are unheard. Most of the people that I know with Kindles have no interest in posting anywhere on the internet, so the numbers get skewed.

Still, as I've said before on this forum, it would be nice if Amazon offered some sort of insurance/replacement plan.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 5:34:49 PM PDT
P. M. H. says:
I finding myself again agreeing with Willow Brook. I don't understand why people somehow expect the Kindle to be indestructible. I try to take very careful care of my Kindle. Think of it like a laptop - one hopefully won't fall asleep with it, nor put things on top of the screen, nor expect it to survive dropping it. (Yeah, I know there is the 30" video drop of the Kindle.)

The Kindle should be considered a bit fragile and handled with care. It is a shame that one cannot be repaired, but this is not unusual - today it often costs more to repair something like the Kindle than to buy new one.

So keep the Kindle in its case and treat it gently.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2008 5:16:17 PM PDT
HGSR says:
I have to say I was dumbfounded when I called amazon to require about repair. The service tech, in response to my question, "You mean i should throw it away" said, "You could recycle it." When I commented that I did not think this was how amazon did business, she agreed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2008 5:39:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2008 5:43:12 PM PDT
Cat_herder says:
The Kindle belongs to an increasingly large number of devices that are uneconomical to repair. By the time shipping costs are paid, the time for a tech to figure out what's wrong, try to replace the part, run it through testing, ship back to the customer or restock as a refurb, pay for overhead, pay for manufacture and stocking of replacement parts,etc., it may we be a money-losing proposition. It depends on how many units have been sold and how many fail (don't take the number of posts here as any indication of that).

A friend of mine dropped his iPhone and ran into the same thing. Cracked screen, out of warranty and no repair.

My Palm Tungsten has a failing backlight. No repair available from Palm.

I had 2nd Gen iPod that was out of warranty when the Firewire connector had a mechanical failure. No repair from the factory. I didn't have the extended warranty, one of the very few times I've ever regretted that.

The Kindle is not unique in this regard. Sure, it's a real nuisance, but chalk it up to being able to buy electronics relatively inexpensively. They are designed for low cost of assembly, not ease of repair. It would be nice if Amazon offered an extended warranty, ala Apple.

Doesn't change the fact that if I dropped a $300-400 device, I'd be plenty upset. :-(

All things considered, I'm more outraged that Apple doesn't think customers are smart enough to change the batteries in an iPod or iPhone.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2008 6:47:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2008 6:48:04 PM PDT
John Newton says:
"All things considered, I'm more outraged that Apple doesn't think customers are smart enough to change the batteries in an iPod or iPhone."

I'm sure the issue isn't the intelligence of the customer, the issue is the customer buying a new unit vs. just a new battery.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2008 6:53:25 PM PDT
Cat_herder says:
Well, perhaps I was being a bit sarcastic.

I have replaced the battery as well as the hard drive in an iPod.

Take that, Apple!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2008 7:46:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2008 7:48:44 PM PDT
SJC says:
Kindles are not damage-proof. Many have broken their screens...caution is a must. Just keep emailing Amazon and requesting an insurance program for Kindle. Cell phone carriers offer it for cell phones; maybe EVENTUALLY Amazon will offer it for Kindle as well for those who wish to partake.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2008 7:55:28 PM PDT
Selena says:
I am not sure what "many" means in terms of broken screens. Forums are a poor venue to try to gauge that - how many have been sold, how many have broken screens? we don't know and can't say "many" or "few" with any authority!!!! Per insurance, I am not aware of any reputable consumer organization that has recommended any extended service plan as worth the cost for any product. Given the technology, I don't see how repair costs for a broken screen could ever be less than replacement.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 1:39:12 PM PST
I also need a repair on my Kindle. The scrren accidentally cracked. Have you had any luck in finding a repair facility that is willing to repair them? hfarber316@aol.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 1:40:37 PM PST
I also need a repair on my Kindle. The scrren accidentally cracked. Have you had any luck in finding a repair facility that is willing to repair them? hfarber316@aol.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 2:25:40 PM PST
Blue Goddess says:
The last I heard, Amazon was offering replacement units at $180 for those who had broken their kindle. Call it the repair cost, replacement cost, whichever. Did Amazon not make you this offer? Call them and ask about it, perhaps? Or maybe just way too many people are breaking their kindles, and even that was not cost effective for Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 2:33:36 PM PST
January says:
Square Trade offers a warranty that covers accidental damage, but you have to purchase it within 30 days of buying your Kindle. I got that information from reading this forum and then someone posted a 35% off coupon. (Thank you whoever that was!) I got three years of coverage plus 3 years of accidental damage coverage for around $50.00. I treat my K the same way I treat my laptop, but it only takes one slip-up to render either one a pile of plastic and circuitry scrap.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 10:49:02 PM PST
Claudia says:
I don't know how much good that Square Trade warranty would do anyone, when Amazon doesn't have any Kindles to sell. What good would it do? They don't repair the Kindle, only help you pay for a replacement.

I still think the best/only way to replace a damaged Kindle is thru Amazon's program where they offer to replace the Kindle that's damaged for $180 - and I believe those needing replacement units don't have to wait as long as people ordering Kindles for the first time. I would think anyone trying to replace one under the Square Trade program wouldn't get preferential treatment, but might well have to wait the 11-13 weeks now estimated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 7:57:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2008 8:01:00 AM PST
January says:
"I don't know how much good that Square Trade warranty would do anyone, when Amazon doesn't have any Kindles to sell. What good would it do? They don't repair the Kindle, only help you pay for a replacement."

Claudia---

Helping to replace a broken Kindle is the whole point of a Square Trade extended warranty.

My Kindle is covered AFTER the Amazon one year warranty expires and STARTING RIGHT NOW in case of damage by my negligence. I'd miss my Kindle a lot, but I could "rough it" for a while if it is going to save me a good chunk of money.

I live 6 months a year on a houseboat. I've never lost anything overboard, but I don't want my Kindle to be my first $360 mistake.

Extended warranties aren't for everyone, I'd never buy one for a household appliance for example, but in this case, I thought the peace of mind was worth the price. I only offered the information in case anyone else felt the same way. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 9:06:56 PM PST
I agree that forums may not be the best way to judge the number of Kindles that are breaking, but from my personal experience it is 100%. It was slight pressure that caused the screen to crack - thumb as I stood up from a chair! I went from Kindles biggest cheerleader to a very disappointed customer because of the long wait time, the cost of paying for a defective or too delicate product, and customer service saying something different every time I talk to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 5:32:46 PM PST
HGSR says:
You expressed my sentiments exactly as I too was the biggest cheerleader. I was tremendously disappointed in the initial reponse but, after reading these posts, I called and was able to exchange my broken one for a new one for half the cost. Because I was hooked I will give it one more try.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 6:52:11 PM PST
Ryan says:
This happened to me as well, and I am SO pissed. I hope to contact and see if the warranty covers it, but I doubt it. /sigh.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 11:31:52 PM PST
I just broke my screen in the same way - though I had it in the padded laptop part of my bag. It makes me especially angry because the stupid cover they give you to protect it doesn't hold the stupid thing so it's worthless, but then there isn't any other product that will. Insurance would be an excellent idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 6:39:55 AM PST
P. M. H. says:
The M-edge cover holds the Kindle very securely. You can get them on Amazon. Or if you want to use velcro, the original one works.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 7:04:46 AM PST
M. A. Green says:
Oberondesign.com, Strangedog.com, and mEdge (sold here on Amazon) all have covers that DO hold and protect the Kindle far better than the cover it comes with.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 8:16:43 AM PST
Meemo says:
The "stupid cover" that holds the "stupid thing" works fine if you either use a little velcro or use the stupid elastic band that comes on the stupid cover - just pull it around the corner of the Kindle at the bottom left corner. Problem solved.

By the way, if you want another "stupid thing" you can get one for $180. And I'm sure there's something out there that would protect it if you look - you just have to find it. I actually thing the Amazon cover isn't well-designed for carrying the Kindle around in a tight bag - the padding is great for normal carrying it around your house, but because that padding seems to fit down around the screen, I think it's better NOT to have that padding fitting down inside the screen area if you're going to put something on top of the Kindle (not a good idea to begin with) or stuff it inside a bag with a lot of other things. My M-edge cover rests on top of the white area of the Kindle rather than nestling inside the screen area - better for putting in my purse.

And yes, insurance or extended warranty with the accidental damage rider is an excellent idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 11:47:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2009 11:48:59 AM PST
Y. J. Marie says:
Hugebooklover, you're right the Amazon cover is worthless. I was really worried about finding a thick enough replacement cover to protect my Kindle because I ride the train and carry it in my bag. The Oberon cover is thick and protects it way better then the stock cover; I also have the lightwedge zip bag which fits my Kindle and the Oberon cover; that gives extra protection to th Kindle and protects my $75 Oberon cover while they are in my bag.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS 4.8
0 27 days ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
41 4 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Kindle fire 0 8 seconds ago
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 397 2 minutes ago
kindle unlimited 0 2 minutes ago
Monthly free ebook with narration 0 6 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 6280 7 minutes ago
Diff between Kindle and Kindle app on laptop,tab,&android.?? 29 8 minutes ago
Am I Allowed To Have More Than One Amazon "Buyer" Account? 18 9 minutes ago
Older Kindle reader do not use 0 10 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  91
Initial post:  Sep 8, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions