Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire and word processing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2011 5:23:16 AM PDT
Jules says:
Does anybody know if the Kindle Fire allow for on the go word processing? I can't seem to find anything about that from the advertising. I'm entering doctorate school in the spring and if it does that then I'm asking for it for Christmas. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 5:47:54 AM PDT
Most likely there will be apps for word processing in the Appstore. You should be able to reach Google Docs on Silk at docs.google.com

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 6:27:18 AM PDT
Bill says:
Jules,

Don't know what kind of doctoral program you are entering but I think you will find a 7 inch tablet extremely limited for writing and editing long documents. I am an academic and own an Ipad, and use it for READING academic articles, syllabi, and other such stuff. There are Ipad apps that allow you to read and edit MS Word documents, and some version of these are likely to be available for the Fire. But they are very basic--strip away most formatting, don't show footnotes or endnotes, etc. Add to this the very small screen and the touch keyboard (which I find I make many errors on if I type above a slow plod) and I don't think you are going to want to edit your dissertation on it--or even that 5 page paper due for one of your classes. I do use a bluetooth keyboard in conjunction with my Ipad sometimes, and that makes typing faster and more accurate. But still, I don't do much writing or editing on it.

Nonetheless, my Ipad has been an invaluable device for giving me access to a wealth of material I need at my fingertips, so it has been worth every penny. You may find the Fire worthwhile for this reason, too. But don't go in with unrealistic expectations that you will be furiously taking notes on this device in class, or doing substantial writing and editing. If that is your primary need, get a netbook. Only a little bigger and much more functional as a writing and editing tool.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 6:33:32 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I personally could not see typing long papers on a tablet of any kind. I would need a full keyboard to stay sane. There are some tablets that have regular keyboards you can add to them. Don't believe the Kindle Fire will have that option. I think I would go with a netbook for school. Your choice though.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 8:06:13 AM PDT
Jazzy, amen! Maybe a laptop with a full sized keyboard for doctorate work?

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 8:13:02 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 8:16:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2011 1:17:33 PM PDT
Frank Tuttle says:
I prefer a grandpa box (i.e., a tower PC) with a full-sized lighted keyboard with a nice solid feel, a full-sized numeric keypad, and a row of customizable function keys. I write a lot, and that's the only thing that works for me. Tiny keyboards are distracting because I'm always aware of the keys I'm hitting as opposed to the words I'm typing, if that makes sense.

No way could I do anything beside the odd email or blog comment on a seven inch tablet.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 8:30:33 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 8:34:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2011 8:36:03 AM PDT
Bjeans says:
I look cool with my all metal case HP Envy laptop. Correction: I don't; the Envy does. And can hammer away at the keyboard at 120+ wpm. But $$$ and heavy. Like R. Clark said, compromise.

I'm thinking of the Fire's virtual keyboard as like my Win7 smartphone keyboard on steroids. Larger, of course, and fine for quick emails and texting but no where close to the real deal for real work.

ETA to add clarity

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 8:41:51 AM PDT
R. Clark. A'men. Why would you go to a VW store looking for a full sized pickup truck?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 8:42:21 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
Yes, the thing about virtual keyboards is the variation in the size of people's hands. I can type on my iPad's virtual keyboard reasonably well, but only in landscape mode -- where half the screen is obscured by the keyboard. In portrait mode, the keys are too small for anything but hunt-and-peck, but too large for thumbing (and the iPad is hard to hold that way). Fortunately there are Bluetooth keyboards, and I use a case that has one built in. My iPad looks like a MacBook Air when I set it up. Talk about cool. :)

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 8:48:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2011 8:50:37 AM PDT
GnomeEd says:
I'm seeing a lot of people who want the Kindle Fire to be the next new wave...a tiny computer with free internet but it really sounds to me like it's just meant to be an entertainment device. I was one of those people until I started reading this forum. Not that that's a bad thing. It's just a different market.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 6:31:13 PM PDT
Diane says:
I do a lot of writing, so, for convenience, instead of an i pad, I decided to buy a netbook. I bought a Toshiba NB305-N600. It costs me $339.00. I love it. It's light, small enough to fit into a mid size purse, zippy with its dual core processor. It doesn't have a dvd drive, but I have an external drive I can use with it. It comes with Windows 7 Home Starter which isn't much, but I upgraded to 7 Home premium with a $40.00 discount I got from Amazon as a gift for buying the netbook from them. It also comes with Word starter, but I prefer Open Office. It's free, works great, and you don't have to deal with the distracting advertising in Word Starter. There's better netbooks out there, but for the price with its features, I like this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 4:17:23 PM PST
A full size keyboard, sure, but a PC tower is really not necessary, not portable, not that beneficial. An iPad w full accessory keyboard is great; not sure if that would work the the Fire.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 9:42:14 AM PST
On the other hand, I often want to create a short text file. Is there something like a notepad app?

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 12:48:07 PM PST
Yes, Dietrich. When you're on the Kindle Fire App Store, search for notepad app.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 12:52:53 PM PST
Peasorama says:
Several options available: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=mas_6pack_productivity_pointer?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A2478859011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=150D0ADK4D5A0XT94KXN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1332443942&pf_rd_i=2350149011

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 2:21:50 PM PST
I am waiting for my Kindle fire to arrive today. I have windows computers, Apple macbook, IPAD, Droid phone. I'm retired so have time to explore the machines. I have the bluetooth keyboard for the IPAD. The main reason for the IPAD was taking notes, paying bills and research while my wife was in the hospital this last year. About 7 months was spent away from home in hospital settings. I found the IPAD great for light research, but no good for extensive note taking and paying bills. Younger eyes might be able to use it.
Just purchased my wife the Mac airbook and I would say it is the best of all worlds. It is light fast, easy to see and easy to use on your lap etc.
I have found an App KNO great for college books to help me better understand what was happening to my wife.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 3:39:42 PM PST
Jennifer says:
I find it very surprising that the google docs app is not available in the amazon app store. The great thing about it is you can do your "real" editing on your laptop, then view those same docs or make light edits on your tablet. This has proven very useful to me on my xoom. The selection in the amazon app store is very disappointing.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 6:29:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011 6:30:54 PM PST
Jay says:
You people are all so rude! The question was a simple and legitimate one. Just because a person wants to have a word processing app on their Kindle Fire doesn't mean they are unaware that a notebook of some sort would be best for writing papers. I can not stand you internet trolls. GET A LIFE. I want to know the same thing. I have a macbook, a home computer, and now I'm getting a tablet but still want to WRITE on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 6:35:32 PM PST
@Jennifer: They have added new apps to the store most days, and I'm sure more will come. My Toshiba tablet can access the regular Android app store, and new apps are being added every day to that one. The app world is constantly growing. :>)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 6:44:06 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Posters trying to be helpful by pointing out that a 7" tablet is unlikely to be comfortable for extended typing, the kind you need to do in graduate school, is hardly rude. As someone who writes for a living, I can tell you that I wouldn't use my iPad2 for more than emails and posts to this forum. I can possibly compose a one-page letter using the virtual keyboard and the limited word processing program available for the iPad. For anything more demanding, like writing a proposal, I must use my laptop or desktop. There is no way a 7" tablet could be used for true productivity tasks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 9:16:08 PM PST
Q says:
Yes, Jules.

I use "Documents to Go" which was a free app a few days ago (reg. $15). It can create Word documents and edit existing ones (Word, Excel & Powerpoint).

Works great!

Others use "OfficeSuite Pro 5" ($15) which was also free at the middle of Nov.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 6:57:42 PM PST
JuLiBee says:
If you are going to get a Netbook, I really like my Samsung with 10" screen. Reliable, with long battery life. I recommend a wireless mouse as I don't like touchpads. There is a bit of a problem with viewing emails because the toolbars at top take up a lot of visual space (there is probably some way to fix but I haven't tried), but I think it's a pretty good little device. I had another one previously but returned it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 7:37:26 PM PST
Dennis Lord says:
The iPad allows the use of an actual keyboard via bluetooth.
Too many people are giving advice about hardware they haven't used. We also need to accept the fact that tablets are going to do many of the tasks previously reserved for computers.
I have owned all of the kindles Amazon has sold through the Touch and the Fire as well as the Nook Touch and Color. I also own the original iPad. They are all quality units anddisplay different qualities for different uses.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Software Update for Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, and Kindle
0 20 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 Jun 18, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Low internal storage space on Kindle Fire 448 16 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - September 2015 52 28 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 3786 31 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 5369 52 minutes ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 2676 1 hour ago
kindle fire keyboard not working 1 1 hour ago
SIRI on Kindle Fire!!!! (kind-of) 57 1 hour ago
New HDX 7 for 2015? 23 2 hours ago
Fire HDX 7 Music Library won't refresh 0 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  May 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions