Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle HDX Text to Speech - Default to off? How?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2014 10:45:27 AM PDT
susan dennis says:
Every single time I open a book to read it the damn Text To Speech starts reading the book. I tap it to turn it off and when I tap the page to make the controls disappear the damn thing starts up again.

Text To Speech is TURNED off under the Aa Settings in the book app.

What else controls it? How can I turn it off? I cannot imagine ever wanting it. I like Audible books but not this Text To Speech. So how do I get it to go away? Or at least shut up?

I called MayDay and they were stumped. They transferred me to someone else who told me to reboot. Which made no difference except it did get rid of the MayDay call :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2014 10:54:32 AM PDT
Well, that's odd. If it's turned off in the Aa Settings it shouldn't just turn on. You may benefit from resetting your Kindle app.

From the Home screen:

* Swipe from top
* Settings > Applications > Manage All Applications
* Swipe down to the Amazon Kindle App
* Clear Data

It may take a few minutes for all of your books to reappear. Despite the dire warnings you *WILL NOT* lose your books by doing this.

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 10:55:58 AM PDT
Carbonbased says:
In Settings>Accessibility, do you have Voice Guide turned on?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2014 11:03:34 AM PDT
susan dennis says:
Cleared data. Problem came right back. As soon as I open a book, it starts reading. I click stop. It stops. I tap to make controls go away and the damn thing starts reading again.

Text-to-Speech is OFF.

Now it won't stop reading the book until I power it off.

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 11:05:05 AM PDT
susan dennis says:
I have nothing called Voice Guide in Accessibility. I have Screen Reader and it is set to Off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2014 11:07:59 AM PDT
I think you need to contact customer support and discuss getting a replacement HDX. There's something wrong with it.

Click on this link and fill in the information:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html
You may have to sign in. I would use the PHONE or CHAT options.
Do *NOT* use e-Mail.
CALL ME under the PHONE tab is great if available.
They will call you within minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2014 11:11:32 AM PDT
susan dennis says:
Thanks. Quite comforting to know that it sounds as whacky to someone else as it does to me.

I'm now doing a factory reset. If that doesn't work I will try chat. Call/Mayday already failed once. :)

Posted on Jul 27, 2014 11:17:54 AM PDT
susan dennis says:
SUCCESS!!!

Factory reset did the trick. Text To Speech successfully muted by default now. (Audible books still work fine.) WHEW. That text reader woman was working my last nerve!!

Thanks all!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2014 11:44:01 AM PDT
Great! Glad you fixed it. And that was a wacky problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 7:51:13 AM PDT
A.Nadvornik says:
I had the same problem. It is so annoying! I called Mayday, was bumped up to Tier 2 support. He had me do a factory reset, and it worked. It was a few days before I opened a book again, and when I did, TTS started again. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 7:55:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2014 7:56:31 AM PDT
susan dennis says:
ohhhh that's not good to hear! Yikes. But, thanks for adding to the discussion. It's at least good to be forewarned.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 8:32:17 AM PDT
susan dennis says:
Yep. Turned it on this morning - after the reset yesterday and the problem is back. TTS reads no matter what - even when I move to another app and or Sleep begins. I have to turn it off to shut it up.

I've send email to Amazon asking for a replacement.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 8:34:28 AM PDT
Email is the worst way to get help. Damn Chat or Damn Phone is your best bet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 8:37:11 AM PDT
susan dennis says:
Actually, I've had better luck with email support - at least with other Amazon issues - than phone or chat. Interesting.

I purchased my Fire less than 30 days ago so if they give me a hard time, I'll just return it and buy a new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 8:43:47 AM PDT
Given the time frame, if I were you, I would start the return process. There is no reason to involve CS and wait for them.

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 8:46:03 AM PDT
A.Nadvornik says:
When the factory reset didn't work, I thought I might be out of luck. I've had my Fire for several months, at least. I'm interested to hear about your outcome. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 8:46:55 AM PDT
susan dennis says:
I will absolutely report back here. Stay tuned :)

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 12:02:07 PM PDT
susan dennis says:
The Latest:

I received an email reply that was nicely worded explaining that a replacement could only be made via phone or chat.

So I called. I spent 30 very very very painful minutes on the service call during which we went through every single troubleshooting step that I had gone through multiple times previously and I was transferred up a tier. I told the guy that I would have sent back the broken one but that the price had changed and they were now $30 more than I had paid. I finally begged. I just begged him to send me a replacement.

And finally he did. After 5 more minutes on hold, I finally was able to hang up with the news that my replacement tablet will be here Wednesday.

They could make it more painful but I'm not sure how.

Meanwhile the text to speech started twice today - on its own, in my purse!

If I weren't so hooked on books from Audible.Com, I'd ask them to send me one with laryngitis!

Good luck and fingers crossed that the replacement has voice control.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2014 9:10:45 PM PDT
A.Nadvornik says:
In case you or anyone else is still having this problem, I wanted to share what I finally figured out.
The short version is that I had an app called LastPass, which allows you to store passwords for different sites. On the Fire, it works just fine within the app. However, there is a setting to let it supply passwords inside other apps. When that is turned on, the TTS won't shut off. I have no idea what that has to with passwords, but there you go.
If you don't have LastPass, you might try other 3rd party apps.
They don't have a fix for it yet but at least I can stop calling Mayday and doing factory resets.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 7:24:09 AM PDT
susan dennis says:
OMG A.Nadvornik!! How in the world you figured this out, I do not know but thank you so much for sharing it. Yes, I have LastPass and yes, I had it set to supply passwords - on the Fire I sent back as broken. I have not net turned it on with the new one. I would have been so crushed to hear that TTS again. Thank you!!! Wow.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 12:49:52 PM PDT
A.Nadvornik says:
I'm glad I could help! I ended up with a replacement Kindle too, and it worked at first, then all of a sudden the TTS came back. Another hour on the phone, another factory reset later I realized that it must have been an app. I kept checking after each app was reinstalled, until I found out LastPass was the culprit! I am so glad there is a way to shut off the TTS. It was driving. me. crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 12:53:16 PM PDT
susan dennis says:
You get a bag o' stars not just for figuring it out - brilliant, by the way, but also for sharing. Seriously, I am so grateful.

I'm going to keep my eye on LastPass. They update pretty frequently. If I hear of news, I'll post here.

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 10:28:14 PM PDT
Ken Hamel says:
I can verify that deleting last pass fixed the problem for me. Shocked that Amazon support didn't have this fix in their knowledge base. So glad I found this thread so quickly!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2014 11:32:59 AM PDT
Kathleen F says:
Unbelievable! I am SO thankful you posted this. It was driving me insane. I love my Kindle Fire, and I love LastPass. But I do NOT love having text-to-speech start every time I turn a page. A. Nadvornik, consider yourself hugged a thousand times!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2014 11:41:30 AM PDT
Amazon can only have known issues and fixes in their database.

The makers of LastPass are the ones who should know about the issue.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 2542 2 minutes ago
Are we witnessing a secret Kindle Voyage recall? 526 2 minutes ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 9653 2 minutes ago
Transfer content from iPad to Voyage 3 5 minutes ago
ECHO's of Friendship 173 6 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 1969 6 minutes ago
kindle eBook is scrambled 3 7 minutes ago
Conversations with Echo 587 7 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 2935 8 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2014
Latest post:  Oct 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions